RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

flygirl

May 6, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

New beginnings and thank yous
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You start climbing for some reason or another. It's curiousity piqued by a movie, a story, someone you meet, a commercial... some of the reasons people have given me for the first time they climbed or thought about it can really make you laugh.

I guess I started young doing rap with my father, and met some really awesome guys at NRG one year who roped me up and gave me some tips, when I was just 13 or 14, because it looked like fun. I never even knew their names, but they totally rock.

Life distracted me. I became interested in other things, life moved on, I got into fly-fishing. Met a fly-fishing guide in college who was also a climber, we got to be close, I made plans to climb with him. I was pysched about getting into it again. Then he went to Yosemite and fell. I learned of his death not long before our trip was due. First thought: bad omen. Never climb. Second thought: he'd want me to.

So to Phil, those unnamed faces at NRG those years ago, to my father, and to my climbing and life partner now... I owe them a big thank you. Climbing has shaped my life more positively than I could have imagined. I wanted to put this in the beginners since I am beginning again and to encourage people to make sure and appreciate the reasons and people who brought them here. And to all of you who have brought people here, know that you are appreciated.

climbsomething

May 6, 2004, 8:57 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Re: New beginnings and thank yous [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a most cool post for the beginners forum. Good words. I think it deserves a little *bump* :)

flygirl

May 6, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. It's been my experience that a lot of people get caught up in climbing and forget why they started... your reasons for sticking with it are usually different from the reason you started.

Also, if those guys from NRG are ever going to get a thanks, it'd have to be from reading it on here. You never know how one considerate offer might change a person (especially a kid like I was).

crimpandgo

May 6, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is really cool that you went with your father. I had hoped the interest to climb would grow with my kids. Its just doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe one day that spark of interest will kindle into a flame for them as it did for you. Rock on :D

micronut

May 6, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks. It's been my experience that a lot of people get caught up in climbing and forget why they started... your reasons for sticking with it are usually different from the reason you started.

I always thought that I would "grow out" of climbing at some point, after the story line changed. I started climbing because I wanted to be like all the "sick dogs" in my home town who were ripping it up on rock, ice, skiis, mtn. bikes, hang gliders, etc...The whole rad mtn. dude arcetype was what I aspired to become. Many years later, I realize that I have become much of what I idolized. But that stroy had lost much of it's importance. Still, the human condition persists, and climbing helps me to make sence of it.

flygirl

May 7, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You start climbing because you have an idea of what it might be like, or how it might make you look to others. You keep climbing when you find out what it is really like, what it means and how it affects you. The reasons people start are almost always superficial in my experience, but for people who stick with it, they have found in themselves something that can only be brought out with climbing. Plus, importantly, it's damn fun!

moabbeth

May 7, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I remember the day I started climbing, I never looked back after that weekend. It was like this hole in my life was suddenly filled, and filled with something so gratifying I couldn't believe it. Every weekend and every vacation day since I started, life has been all about climbing. It's taken me to more amazing places, given me more physical and mental joy, helped me meet the most amazing people, and brought me more pleasure and rewards than anything else in my life. I consider some of my climbing friends as close as family. I cherish every minute I spend outdoors. I'll drive for hours for the pleasure of an afternoon on an amazing rock. Fortunately I don't think those feelings will ever change. Every single weekend I'm more blown away with life than the weekend before. And it's all because of climbing.

Ahhh....26 more hours and I'm on the road for another valley weekend. Yosemite valley...the most beautiful place on earth (well, except maybe Moab :wink: ). Just being there is pure bliss...but being there AND climbing??? It's the greatest feeling. Each weekend up there this season has been more amazing than the next....the climbs, the partners, the people I meet along the way. I'm sure this weekend will bring more good surprises.

Sniff....I love you rock climbing :cry: 8^) 8^)

rudolphe

May 7, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is all good stuff to hear. I had been disillusioned with climbing for some time, yet I'm slowly I'm coming back to it, and reading these posts didn't hurt.

timstich

May 7, 2004, 5:15 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is all good stuff to hear. I had been disillusioned with climbing for some time, yet I'm slowly I'm coming back to it, and reading these posts didn't hurt.

So what was the disillusionment over?

rudolphe

May 8, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm too competitive and found the climbing to be unfulfilling in that regard. I had been climbing for about ten years (started when I was fifteen) and dabbled in various other, more conventional sports like rowing (you call it crew), downhill skiing, X-C skiing, athletics along the way.

Gravitated towards serious competitve rowing three years ago but it has become too difficult to fit all the training in (10+ sessions a week on and off water) with full time work in economics/foreign policy. Starting to miss the happy buzz that I used to get from climbing. :)

rudolphe

May 11, 2004, 7:54 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But this thread is not about me! I don't want to bring down the vibe

Partner nextascent

May 15, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool flygirl....hows this...I haven't taken my first climb, but I can tell you why I am. I love the mountains, ski like a banshee (even my 40 days/season aren't enough) and want something to keep me challenged and on the mountains during the off season. Another big bonus is my son is also into this and I count any time that a 19 year old chooses to spend the weekend hangin out with mom doing cool stuff is alright with me :). We are both active, athletic and always looking for the that next thrill. So far I've been browsing these forums and reading Freedom of the Hills for some fundamentals....I can't wait til the first climb! :D

flygirl

May 15, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool. If I ever have kids, I really hope that they can get into the outdoors and climbing the way that I have, although I hope their experiences are not somehwat marred by the tragedy that has been a bittersweet part of my passion.

Enjoy climbing for the sake of climbing. There are climbers I know who are only happy if they can beat someone else, or beat their own last highest grade, but you have the right idea. It should be for the outdoors, for the physical challenge... and, of course, for the company you keep.

Let us know how your first climb goes, sounds like a great time. :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook