RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xclimber

May 12, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Omega Scallop Nuts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody care to compare/contrast the Omega Pac Scallop Nuts to the older Omega Smiley's (which are essentially identical to BD stoppers...).

Thanks,
x

geezergecko

May 13, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Re: Omega Scallop Nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The wires on the Scallops are a bit longer than the Smileys/Stoppers. That may or may not be useful. The sizing is still the same. A climbing store clerk once told me that the edgewise Pringles potato chip frills were to avoid patent lawsuits from Black Diamond. OP bought out Smileys and changed the design to avoid BD's wrath. I found the edgewise taper of the BD Stoppers more useful than the ridges in the OPs but then I find HB Offsets more useful than either. Scallops are cheaper and that counts for a lot with the dirtbag crowd (myself included).

moeman

May 13, 2004, 2:16 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The wires on the Scallops are a bit longer than the Smileys/Stoppers. That may or may not be useful. The sizing is still the same. A climbing store clerk once told me that the edgewise Pringles potato chip frills were to avoid patent lawsuits from Black Diamond. OP bought out Smileys and changed the design to avoid BD's wrath. I found the edgewise taper of the BD Stoppers more useful than the ridges in the OPs but then I find HB Offsets more useful than either. Scallops are cheaper and that counts for a lot with the dirtbag crowd (myself included).

In that case, just go with the ABC Huevos. Identical to BD Stoppers, dirt cheap, and no patent lawsuits.

andypro

May 13, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could see them being a little usefull in very irregular or crystaline cracks, but other than that, I dont see much difference over a regular sided nut.

Partner xclimber

May 13, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought that total surface area contact increased staying power/stability, and the scalloping would seem to reduce that...

x

andypro

May 13, 2004, 5:14 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I always thought that total surface area contact increased staying power/stability, and the scalloping would seem to reduce that...

x

If you look at most nut design marketing blurb whatevers, they go for the "three points of contact". Very rarely are you going to get any more than a few square milimeters at a time at any one point contacting the rock. With the scallops (at least what I think they're shooting for) is that it will fit in or grab the irregularities/crystals/granules more securely. I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.

Edit: Forgot to add that if youll notice, on the front and back they're really just a normal curved taper nut. It's only on the sides where the scallops are. So I guess it would work either way, depending on which way you have the nut turned. Personally, especially in the smaller sizes, I woudln't want that nut sideways if I could avoid it, negating the point of having them scalloped on the sides in the smaller sizes. The larger sizes, sure, but the smallest few...no thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook