Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rckfreek

Apr 18, 2002, 3:46 AM
Post #1 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Which Rope bag?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am starting to look at rope bags, and don't know what to get. I have looked at metolius' rope ranger and seem to like it. I have also looked at BD's superslacker which seems a bit big. I would just like to know what else is being used out there and how it is working for you all.

Thanks for your imput

-Rock Freek-

woodse

Apr 18, 2002, 4:06 AM
Post #2 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Which Rope bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is by a company called Gypsy. I think it cost me around $30. Has a nice size ground tarp, and the two loops to tie the ends of the rope. Rolls into the backpack and then has a draw string to pull it tight with a quick-release strap to make sure it stays put. I'm really pleased with mine, it's pretty compact and seems to do the job.

woodsE
*edit It's made by DMM and called the Gypsy

[ This Message was edited by: woodse on 2002-04-18 09:14 ]

maculated

Apr 18, 2002, 4:12 AM
Post #3 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NO on the Black Diamond bag. I bought one, and the first time I used it it snagged on a wussy blackberry bush and a six-inch gash appeared. My jeans fared better than the bag. My SHIRT even.

drysdan

Apr 18, 2002, 4:15 AM
Post #4 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody know much about the BD cinch rope bag?

yosemite_climber

Apr 18, 2002, 5:27 AM
Post #5 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have a Metolious rope bag. I think it works great. It has a good sized tarp to put the rope on if you are using for something small like toproping. My main gripes with the bag is the strap system. It has only one strap that attaches to each side of the bag. So you are left slinging the bag over your shoulder not like a backpack. This becomes really annoying when you are hiking or riding a bike because it is constantly flopping around. I have come to the point where I use it mainly for storage. It would be an awesome bag if it had two straps like a backpack. But if you can get past the strap system then this is a great bag for you.

P.S. Who picks the picture of the day? I have a ton of Yosemite picks that you guys would love... Maybe I will have to pay attention in computer class when we do HTML and make a photosite... In the meantime check out www.halfdomecam.com and http://communities.msn.com/HalfDomeCamcom/ for some good Yosemite Pictures.

dontneedfeet

Apr 18, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #6 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the Metolious bag. The BD bag is open sided on both ends - kind of defeats the purpose...
Anyway, the Metolious bag has a tarp sewn into it - flop it out, you're climbing, roll it back up, you're hiking. Good design...

Partner camhead

Apr 18, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #7 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I got one of the Bittersweet bags. It is basically like a Metollius but for only $30.

kelv^
Deleted

Apr 18, 2002, 8:58 AM
Post #8 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i personally use the BD super slacker and think its great..don't see how it can rip..i've dragged it around..over sharp rock edges.and not a single fray..the open ends is designed for u to use it as a hanging rope bucket on multi pitches.

treyr

Apr 18, 2002, 11:26 AM
Post #9 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the rope ranger but I like my A5 bag and you have to coil your rope but it keeps my rope dry

Trob

jumaringjeff

Apr 18, 2002, 12:20 PM
Post #10 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got the Metolius ropemaster. It's groovy. True, it only has one strap, but I don't mind.

Happy ropebagging,
jj

killclimbz

Apr 18, 2002, 1:22 PM
Post #11 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on how you are going to carry the rope bag. If you are planning on stuffing it in your pack get the Metolius Rope Ranger. It packs up into a nice tight ball that is fairy easy to dump into your pack.
The BD Super Slacker is nice if you are strapping it to the outside of your pack with straps or under the hood. As for the tarp size, I think the Metolius version is larger than the BD one, but either way a large tarp is a good thing.

phyre

Apr 18, 2002, 2:11 PM
Post #12 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know the model name of my bag but it's a metolius and it has two straps like a back pack. I've really liked it and it was only 40.00. after you roll it up you have a draw string and two compression straps to get it good and small. I do wish the tarp was larger though because when you're leading the rope usually falls all over.
phyre

kaptk

Apr 19, 2002, 7:17 AM
Post #13 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Metolius one with the two straps (for backpack type carrying) also. I was able to get it on sale and I think that it is a good bag. It compacts very nicely.

crux_clipper

Apr 19, 2002, 12:53 PM
Post #14 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the main thing to look at when buying a rope bag, is a compromise between price, how compact it is, and whether it has a ground tarp. I find that my Beal rope bag has a very good, THICK ground tarp, but it isn't very compact. Also, it only has one peice of webbing for an arm sling, so it can hurt after a wile of walking. While my friend has a Dippers rope bag, that has a padded strap, compresses fairly well, but the ground tarp seems a bit thin. It looks like it could catch and tear. So look at all these things when to buy a rope bag.

rckfreek

Apr 21, 2002, 5:51 AM
Post #15 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks guys....i am still kinda weighing all my opptions and trying to figure out how much cash i want to shell out.

- Rock Freek -

rutherford

Apr 22, 2002, 4:09 PM
Post #16 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbed w/ a guy last year who used an IKEA shopping bag for his ropes. Easily holds two 60m ropes. No tarp, but hey, it's "free"

fo_d

Apr 22, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #17 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the BD, its ok but my next bag will be the Metolious (rope ranger?) bag. The BD isnt big enough, the tarp is also too small.

Les

smithclimber

Apr 22, 2002, 11:05 PM
Post #18 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd throw some general info out there for everyone.

The Metolius rope bag that only has one shoulder strap is called the Rope Master.
It's the one thats been around forever.

The Metolius rope bag that has two shoulder straps (can be worn as a backpack) is called the Rope Ranger. It has a slightly larger internal volume making it easier to roll up 60m ropes in it (a 60m will fit the Rope Master too, you just have to roll it much tighter to get it in), and a zippered pocket for small items (nail clippers, tape, gym membership card, etc.) sewn on the outside. These are the only differences between the two models.

The Black Diamond Superslacker has alot more internal volume than either Metolius. You can fit 3 (maybe even 4)ropes in it or just 1 or 2 ropes plus a bit of gear. It does open at both ends which have drawstrings (so it can be used as a rope bucket but it also can be unzipped all the way open and use the integral rope tarp just like you would a Metolius.

All three of these bags have the same size rope tarp, so this has little to do with which one you choose.

If you plan on shoving your rope into your pack after it's in it's rope bag, one of the Metolius bags will work better for you. If you'd like to carry a little more gear than just the rope and only have to carry one bag then the BD will probably be to your liking.

I haven't seen the new BD Cinch Bag in the flesh, so no opinion on it yet.

Hope all this is useful to SOMEONE!

Cheers, Wes

krustyklimber

Apr 23, 2002, 12:20 AM
Post #19 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We, Smithclimber and I, have had 5 coiled ropes in my BD Superslacker before, it will easily carry everything you need to the crag, the one wide strap could use a partner, with two straps this would be an awesome bag! It is already great, hey maybe BD will sell me a second strap!

Mac, send that bag back to BD they'll probably take care of you. I thrash mine and it takes it no problem, the zipper won't last forever though.

And fo_d, how big a tarp do you need? My BD is big enough that three of us can sit under it to hide from the rain.

Jeff

mitchal

Apr 23, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #20 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have the BD Superslacker and I have had NO problems with it.It's the most abused peice of gear I have.Like was said before,two straps would make it better,but,that's just the way it goes.When I need a new bag, it will be the super slacker,maybe there will be a two strap version by then.I've beat mine up for over a year and there are many more left in it.

rockjunkie

Apr 23, 2002, 2:40 AM
Post #21 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everyone, I recently bought a metolius rope ranger (the bag with a tarp and two straps) and it accomidates my 10.5mm x 60m rope easily. Its padded shoulder straps are easily adjustable so it's not being thrown aboot your back as you walk. It's totally gnarly for long approaches. There is also room left over in the main compartment that I pack snug with slings biners and webbing for setting up top rope anchors. I think that they usually run around 45 bones or so but I caught mine on sale. As for the zippered pocket for nail clippers- that is about all you'll fit in there besides maybe a roll of tape. Hope this helps.

Happy bag hunting

tommy

climbracer

Apr 24, 2002, 12:33 AM
Post #22 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bought the BD Superslacker last weekend. I looked at all the rest, but like the way this bag keeps the rope neatly organized. The ends cinch shut so the rope won't come out the ends. I saw the new BD cinch bag at A&N Outfitters and didn't like the way you had to step in the center to get it tightened up.
Kathy

climbracer

Apr 24, 2002, 12:34 AM
Post #23 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bought the BD Superslacker last weekend. I looked at all the rest, but like the way this bag keeps the rope neatly organized. The ends cinch shut so the rope won't come out the ends. I saw the new BD cinch bag at A&N Outfitters and didn't like the way you had to step in the center to get it tightened up.
Kathy

rckfreek

Apr 24, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #24 of 31 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, thanks for the imput. I acctualy just made a rather steller rope bag/tarp, it cost me an existing piece of canvas, $6.85 in straping and buckles, and 4 gromets. It roles up kinda like a burito, has 2 compression straps and a solid handle. Looks like it is going to work great.

- Rock Freek -

canadianclimber

Dec 26, 2002, 11:23 PM
Post #25 of 31 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a rope and I'm thinking of getting this rope pack: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=15021&bmUID=1040945218892. It's cheaper than the Metolius one and its an actual backpack. It looks pretty good to me (and its in Canadian dollars).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook