RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

wedgy

May 16, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

cold weather digital camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a digital camera to shoot on ice & long alpine routes(up to a week), 6mp range. So far i've had trouble with the batteries(2) dying after a few days. Any of the electronic view finder type are definitely out due to battery consumtion. The nikon d100 didn't seem to have that much staying power either (a friend brought it & I dont know if the large base battery was fully charged). I'm looking at the nikon d70 (which i'm told uses 1/3 the power of the d100 due to improved circuitry) or one of the canons(perhaps the rebel). Does anyone have experience in this area they'd care to share? Can the batteries be recarged via solar power & who makes the adapters. I've seen the chargers for standard AA & AAA type but not for Li ion type.

erdeneruc

May 16, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Re: cold weather digital camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the trip to Denali last year, I used an Olympus C-730 digital camera. The primary reason for that choice was that it required AA batteries, which I could get in Lithium for better performance in the cold -- something I expected on the ride up, and on the mountain.

At 3.2 Megapixel, it gave me images at 2048x1536 resolution. It has 10x zoom, and 30x digital zoom.

I was very happy with the outcome, and it performed well on the road and on the mountain.

I am not sure if 6Mp cameras come with AA's. I am not fond of specialized camera batteries, especially rechargeable ones.

Erden.

thegreytradster

May 17, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The entire Fuji line uses AA's and you can get an accessory for the top of the line Minolta that takes AA's. Both good camera lines. Lithium AA's are very high capacity 2900 mAh, thats better than double the capacity of proprietary batteries. They wont freeze and weigh about 1/3 as much as conventional or rechargables for the same ampacity.

psych

May 17, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you mention the D70, I would imagine that at some point the Canon Digital Rebel (300d) has crossed your mind, as they're very similar and the Canon is a bit cheaper.

I own one, I love it, and the battery is a MONSTER that stays charged for days and days of shooting at a time. Highly recommended for long shoots between recharges.

However! The camera does not have a great tolerance of cold temperatures, which I found out this past winter. In my area the usual "cold" temp is around -15c, this year we hit about -30c on some days. But in either of these temperatures the camera wasn't happy. After taking a shot, the LCD failed to show the image, and in a couple cases after having it out of my jacket for a bit longer than usual, it failed to actually record the image at all. Acted like it did, but nothing on the CF card.

If you're going into these temperatures, beware. Technically the Canon is only supposed to operate between 0c and +40c...digitals are definitely more susceptible to cold temps than regular film cameras, what with the LCD "goo" possibly freezing and cracking, then leaking, etc...but still...

Mike...

albertonium

May 18, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about clod weather performance of the camera, but my research on the D70 shows that they have an adaptor that permits use of cr123. ( the lithium batteries that were popular for compact film for a long time.) Just some info for consideration.
*hoping for a D70 someday - it rocks*

diagonal

Dec 21, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have any recent ideas about good cold weather and weather resistant digital cameras? I'm shopping for one and can't find one that also has a viewfinder. It seems like Canon has view finders and Olympus has all weather bodies, but I haven't found something with it all. Hoping for 6-7mp.

Partner brent_e

Dec 21, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since you mention the D70, I would imagine that at some point the Canon Digital Rebel (300d) has crossed your mind, as they're very similar and the Canon is a bit cheaper.

lcd's can actually freeze in the cold. Our fishfinders have done this on the ice.

isn't a D70 kind of big for alpine?! :D If you can keep the battery warm with your body heat you should be able to keep it going longer. a little bit screwy to get it in the camera all the time, but maybe worth the extra shots.

my parents took a CP5400 for 3 weeks in Europe. They only shot about 400 images, but they DID NOT change the battery. Warm temps, of course. The little Lith-ions that come with that series kick butt...they just go. And even he aftermarket batteries from "the battery barn" have done very well for me in the camera.

From what i've read, the D70 is not quite the same as a 300D. Read some reviews (aka http://www.dpreview.com ) to see and make up your own mind, but there is no doubt what i would choose.

Good luck with your quest!

Brent

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook