RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

sdgrovy

May 19, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

buildering in boston
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

just moved to boston, looking to do some buildering here. anyone interested, have any ideas?

sdgrovy
charliegreen11@yahoo.com

deleted
Deleted

May 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 17 (8238 views)
Shortcut

Re: buildering in boston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I buildered in Boston when I was 10 but not since. I live in Cali, but I'll meet up w/ you when I go back to visit the family, if you want!

sdgrovy

May 19, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #3 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd love to... in the meantime, know of anyone living around here who mite be interested???

hiker-climber
Deleted

May 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #4 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fells Woods in Melrose MA on Washington Street. Take the Orange line to Oak Grove in Malden Mass (north of boston) its a ten minute walk down Pleasent Street to Washington Street and into the Middlesex Fells Woods. Try Pinnacle rock (45'), Elephant/ Black Rock (60'), or others in the area, all in the woods near a nice waterfall and great shadey woods, just watch out for poisin Ivy.

Try a map of the Middlesex Fells (I have no idea about guidebooks of the area). Hope that helps

H-C
PM me for more info if u want

bribjork

May 20, 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #5 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm new to all the rock climbing lingo....whats "buildering?" is it some form of "bouldering?" thanks!

superfox

May 20, 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buildering = bouldering on buildings.

Some good spots are in the Back Bay Fens (Kenmore Square, Charlesgate, Longwood Wall, and Olmsted Park), and some at Logan (look on this website). All of the stuff in the Back Bay Fens that I mentioned are in Boston Rocks, you can pick it up in most REIs or EMS'.

But if you're in Boston, there's plenty of natural climbing around, a couple crags in Dorchester, Roxbury, Newton, and a lot of stuff in Melrose (like Hiker-climber said). It might be worthwhile to check out the MASS climbers thread on this website, they often organize trips to crags in and around Boston.

bribjork

May 20, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #7 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow....sounds interesting....i'll have to check it out

twoodall

Sep 24, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #8 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is ruindering?

I looked and looked, but no one seems to be writing about the pseudo-ruins in Franklin Park. The climbing's not world class, but if you live in JP, have about an hour to climb, and are looking for a workout, see you in the park. These supposed ruins are above the golf course on the west side, just down the road from the Franklin Park Zoo. Walking-riding? Go in the entrance at Williams St and Forest Hills St in Jamaica Plain. Walk up the hill, through the tunnel, and hang a left. Keep going up the hill, and it's at the top. There's also a parking lot further along the road for the gasoline-inclined.

A good long traverse, which might generously be called a V0, or more realisticly a Vfun, more than makes up for it in length. Doing the whole inside of the ruins consists of about a hundred foot traverse, with the outside big-rock-extravaganza-cool-down adding another 70 feet or so.

Easy to get to (once you find it) and difficult enough to bring about a sweat. Probably better for beginners who aren't ready for harder climbs, but if you don't like it, hey, more ruin for me...

Cheers,

Tim

dudemanbu

Sep 24, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #9 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's a nice looking finger crack about 35 ft high near the old hillel house on bay state road on the BU campus (near kenomore square) I remember wanting to climb it before i knew anything about trad but i'll stop by today and let you know what size pro it'll take. maybe we can meet up and lead it. eyeing it, i think it takes a 1.5 friend. I'll get my rack and a buddy out there later today and give it a go.

jensch

Feb 21, 2006, 5:45 AM
Post #10 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi all -- my name is Jen, I'm a reporter for The Boston Globe and an editor BU's The Daily Free Press. A friend of mine alerted me to buildering, and I'd love to research and write an article on it. I'm an athlete myself and I've done some bouldering, but nothing to the extent of climbing the face of a building downtown. If anyone is interested in talking to me about it and contributing to the story, my email address is jensch@bu.edu. I greatly appreciate any help and leads ... thanks!

landgolier

Feb 21, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #11 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the thread from the last time this exact thing happened:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1163030#1163030

enjoy

jensch

Feb 21, 2006, 1:47 PM
Post #12 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that thread was great (and actuallty the woman who posted it is my friend who did a story on it in D.C. a year ago and told me about it)

I was hoping I could get some Boston stories, not just buildering on campuses but buildering throughout Boston. Anyone who has ever gone, or wants to try it, been caught, etc ... and if you have photos, you can post those, too.

thanks!

Jen Schwartz
JenSch@bu.edu

rock_fencer

Feb 21, 2006, 2:39 PM
Post #13 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the mass ave bridge i think it is has a rock wall you can screw around. Otherwise any old brick building would make a great workout. Photonics building on BU campus off st. mary st. would be an intense albeit easy climb. It overlooks the mass pike. ot the Law building (its a good 150 ft at least)

Dudeman i dont think BU-PD would take to kindly to you climbing the old hillel building. But if you decide to anyway I strongly suggest doing it around 2-3 in the mornign when the cops have left the area.

dudemanbu

Feb 21, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #14 of 17 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. I'm sure they would mind. We did it at 4am one night last summer (it's been quite a while since i made that post.) It's harder than it looks, the jams aren't that good, had to use ringlocks in spots. I lead it trad style because i didn't know how i'd handle the decent.

KarenDrifa

Sep 16, 2012, 6:12 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sdgrovy] buildering in boston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Charlie, my name is Karen and I'm doing some research on buildering in Boston for my master architecture studio, did end up finding a group to build with? Would you be willing to meet with me for a short interview or maybe allow me to watch you do some buildering? I'm super interested in this extreme use of architecture !
In reply to:

edge

Sep 16, 2012, 6:54 PM
Post #16 of 17 (6972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sdgrovy] buildering in boston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One if by land,
and two if by sea.
Climb the Old North Church,
And you'll serve one to three...

KarenDrifa

Sep 16, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #17 of 17 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] buildering in boston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, my name is Karen and I am doing some research on buildering in Boston for my graduate architecture studio. I am a student in Wentworth Institute of technology and I would love to meet with anyone that builds in the area. Would you be willing to talk to me about your sport or do you know anyone that would be interested in meeting with me?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook