RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

wormz

May 20, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Quickdraw Orientation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I have a couple of draws which have a larger loop at one end and a smaller at the other (with the smaller loop being rather tight around the krab, making it hard to swivel). I was wondering, if climbing trad, which end would you have downwards? The big loop that allows the krab to rotate freely (and thus allowing you to spin to krab to minimise self-unclipping) or the big loop up, so the krab clipped into the nut for example has more freedom? I'd go for the first case, the free krab clipping the rope.

Thanks Guys and Gals.

monopocketmojo

May 20, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quickdraw Orientation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't know how much or why it matters, but typically the loose end is the one clipped to the anchor and the tighter end of the draw is clipped to the rope. i have a set of metolius draws (which suck btw--gonna replace the bent gates with omega jc wires) and the straight gate 'krab' is loose while the bent gate is tight into the dogbone...

sarcat

May 20, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BD and Petzl sell their draws with the "tight end" on the rope 'biner and the "loose end" for the anchor 'biner. I've always kept it that way for trad. Hope I'm not wrong!!

boss

May 20, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tighter bent gate is for the rope. The loose end goes on the pro. The only reason the rope end is tighter is to keep it from spinning when you clip. With proper orientation of the biners (facing away from your intended direction of travel) you will have no problem with "self-unclipping."

Boss

coclimber26

May 21, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The main reason is so the biner isn't crossloaded in a fall. On looser ends the biner can rotate 90 degrees and a fall can be taken more easily on the short axis.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook