bandycoot

May 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #1 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

"Heavy Rains Blamed"
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a text blurb on CNN yesterday and it went something like this:

"Heavy Rains Blamed: 30% of the underwater grass in Chesapeake Bay is dead after pollution was washed into the bay in 2003."

What kind of F***ED up logic do you need to blame rain? Rain is NATURAL. The bay is full of WATER. Could it possibly be **gasp** the pollution? If the media is going to play the blame game with every damn stupid little thing, why don't they try to at least use a logical course of thought when placing it? How pathetic!

brianthew

May 20, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #2 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Heavy Rains Blamed" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The pollution was a pre-existing condition to the grass killing, the rain was a catalyst to the grass killing. Hence, you can blame the catalyst - the rain.

But of course, the real problem isn't that it's raining, it's that the water is polluted.

Partner philbox

May 21, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #3 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hah, ya wanna talk about heavy rain. a bloke told me yesterday that when he was a surveyor in Papua New Guinea back in the late seventies he had to walk outside in anunusually heavy rainstorm. It was so heavy that he had to hold his hand over his nose so he could breath. It only lasted for ten minutes but in that time it filled a two gallon bucket from completely empty. Now that is heavy rain. We`re talking about measuring that in metres per hour not inches per hour. I`ve seen it rain 4 inches in twenty minutes but 18 inches in ten minutes, that would be cool to see.

He told me that the mountain side that he had pegged out for the survey had to be repegged because it was no longer there.

arrettinator

May 20, 2005, 1:17 PM
Post #4 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One year ago today:
Rain Rain Go Away.

madriver

May 20, 2005, 1:25 PM
Post #5 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats interesting about the decline of the bay grasses is that in the Cheasepeake Bay tributary creeks, the grasses are making a strong comeback. The enviroment in St. Leonards Creek is much healthier today than ten years ago.

wjca

May 20, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #6 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its all the Pennsylvania farmers that are the source of the runoff into the Bay.

cthulu

May 21, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that is fairly ridiculous.
CNN is just not as professional as most people regard it. In fact its just as much a tabloid as anything out there. You get just as many "Dog Answers Telephone" stories at CNN as in USA today.

bandycoot

May 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #8 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember a few months ago the television in the break room at work was on CNN and every time I went in there all night all they talked about was Paris Hilton's missing dog. Who give a flying F--- :?:

republiclimber

May 21, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There was a text blurb on CNN yesterday and it went something like this:

"Heavy Rains Blamed: 30% of the underwater grass in Chesapeake Bay is dead after pollution was washed into the bay in 2003."

What kind of F***ED up logic do you need to blame rain? Rain is NATURAL. The bay is full of WATER. Could it possibly be **gasp** the pollution? If the media is going to play the blame game with every damn stupid little thing, why don't they try to at least use a logical course of thought when placing it? How pathetic!
sort of reminds me of when a news person will say that an suv killed someone. doesn't matter who was driving it, the evil suv did it. it would be funny if you saw something on the news that was like "a bullet killed a child today"...but never went on to talk about who pulled the trigger actually funny is a poor choice of words.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook