RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

sully264

May 24, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #1 of 13 (18136 views)
Shortcut

Ellington System
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've heard the Ellington system for tightening a slackline mentioned a couple times as a really good non-rachet way to tighten, but i havn't come acrost anyone explaining how to set it up

So.. how does one set up the famed ellington system? some pics would be cool too.

sully

Partner slacklinejoe

May 25, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #2 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ellington System [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Many of the numbers on these threads are misleading and are given by people with minimal experierence. It would not be easy to set up a long line with a 3:1 advantage alone.

The one major secret to the 2 biner (the Ellington) system, is to use skinny webbing, like 11/16" or 9/16". The narrower web bites off on itself and makes the system self-locking. If you wrap the web into the system 3 complete times you get a very solid, high friction 6:1 advantage.

With a little practice you can make this system pull lines 40 feet and under.

For longer lines there are some simple ways to enhance this system once you get the hang of it, to get a 12:1 or better advantage.

Just found it in search with the term ellington:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...&highlight=ellington

I've tried it, it works fairly well on short lines. I couldn't set them as tight as my setups but it was better than a 3:1 with 1" webbing.

Partner coldclimb

May 25, 2004, 3:27 AM
Post #3 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried it with 1" once. Couldn't pull the line through. I'd like to get some thinner stuff and see how that works sometime. :)

sully264

May 25, 2004, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you just make a 3:1 Mech. Adv. system and then retrace it? I'm still not quite clear (sorry, i sound like a total dumbass.)

Partner slacklinejoe

May 25, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #5 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you just make a 3:1 Mech. Adv. system and then retrace it? I'm still not quite clear (sorry, i sound like a total dumbass.)

Here's an example of how I've rigged it using 9/16" or 5/8"

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/ellington.jpg

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/images/ellington1.jpg
Remember, you have to go under the previous lap to make it auto locking otherwise it locks on itself and doesn't tighten for crap.

TheTurtle or someone from NFC might be able to add more to it, I've only built it from trial and error and vauge descriptions but I think I'm atleast in the ball park.

Partner russman

May 25, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #6 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

From what I gather with the explinations...and also the short pic by SLJ...that sounds exactly like the Ethose DELUXE model that I have...only they use rings instead of biners...so it is all one permenant system. I like it, and have been able to get my line tight up to 60' between 2 trees....now it is just a matter of staying on the line for 3 or 4 steps :roll:

Partner russman

May 25, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #7 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just found what I was lookign for in this thread for the Ethos Set-Up

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=25956

far_east_climber

May 25, 2004, 1:07 PM
Post #8 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a more simplified version of the 3 biner primitive system.. how tight can this thing get? If I had it 3ft off the ground with a 60ft line and 150lbs of pulling meat could I get it?

crag

May 25, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #9 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You actually drink Dr Pepper? Stuff has polyethylene glycol in it. But then again if you're feeling a little backed-up it may be what the good Dr. ordered.

Partner russman

May 25, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #10 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looks like a more simplified version of the 3 biner primitive system..
Not sure, that is why I had to go off teh other descriptins and then teh pic...that was what I used to compare and what I thoguth it looked like.

In reply to:
how tight can this thing get? If I had it 3ft off the ground with a 60ft line and 150lbs of pulling meat could I get it?

possible....I have only ever set it up by myself, and streched it the full 60' twice...both times at about 4-5' high....and I weigh in at 180. I still have only used my a half dozen times...so I guess you woudl have to ask someone else who has used teh DELUXE line a little more than my 8^)

jstp

May 26, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #11 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the descriptions and the Ethos brochure definitely looks like a glorified version of the 3 biner system. which i bet is sixty bucks cheaper, works great for lines up to about 60 feet, and requires, well... three biners and the line. plus anchors. a 75 foot long piece has served me for quite some time.

As for using 9/16 or 5/8 webbing i dont see why. i've set up tons of lines, some near the sixty foot length, with just me and 1" webbing done through the 3 'biner system. sometimes you just need to tighteen it a bit after walking it if the webbing is newer. if you can't get it tight enough (i'm pretty skinny) push the anchors up a foot and get a couple of buddies to crank on it. i've snapped an older line that way, so no reason you couldn't get it tight enough. the thinner webbing could be used for the line you walk as well, wich makes for some exciting bouncing, but its not really my style, so i don't know much more than that.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 26, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #12 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As for using 9/16 or 5/8 webbing i dont see why.

Using 1" in a 6:1 fasion doesn't work really well as it binds up on itself creating too much friction with each turn. The 9/16" is just to reduce friction.

You've obviously had better luck with 3:1's than most of the people I slack with if your setting 60' lines on a 3:1 with 1". How high are your anchors?

The results I've had pretty much suggest that if your slacking solo and don't want high anchors 25-30 is about it for a 3:1 on 1" and 40" is around the max using the 6:1 in 9/16" over biners. Raising the anchors or more pulling force (more people) will help but there are other options as well that let you keep low anchors and set it yourself. (9:1, pulleys, leverage systems).

I'm able to set 100+ ft lines solo using my gear (using fresh off the roll webbing), usually with the anchors below 6' and others have done similar using other methods. The biners used as a pulley system method has its place, mostly light weight uses or where you don't need a lot of tension but for those of us who like very tight lines or longer lines while solo it just doesn't crank the line easily.

I guess I like my lines much tighter than the average slacker though - I can usually jump up and down in the middle of a 25' line that's 3' high and not bottom out.

jstp

May 27, 2004, 3:56 PM
Post #13 of 13 (18134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As for using 9/16 or 5/8 webbing i dont see why.

Using 1" in a 6:1 fasion doesn't work really well as it binds up on itself creating too much friction with each turn. The 9/16" is just to reduce friction.

You've obviously had better luck with 3:1's than most of the people I slack with if your setting 60' lines on a 3:1 with 1". How high are your anchors?

My anchors are usually between 4 and five feet, giving between a foot and a half and two feet from the ground in the middle. but that is using older, stretched out lines. new line would be a different story. i see the principle in reducing the friction with smaller webbing, guess i just never had as much of a problem.

In thinking about this abit i think i also mislead in my description. when i said three 'biner method i meant a system utilizing three 'biners and one piece of webbing for a system like the one shown in the ethos brocure. one biner for a fixed anchor and two for the reduction. one attached to the walking end by a munter then the webbing laid over itself a few times (depending on length of leftover and length of line) and pulled taught in the self-locking mechanism mentioned. This is the simplest setup i have ever seen (unless you just tie the fixed end of the line to your anchor) and because it only necessitated three 'biners, a long line and one or two anchors i used it a lot while traveling out of my backpack.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook