Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tech_dog

May 25, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #26 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sample quotes to setup my question..
In reply to:
any trad -- always. for me, any sport leading as well. I suppose that if I was on a sport route I knew well, I might not always wear one. But has never happened -- I don't climb that much sport.

top roping? matter of preference. I'd like to, generally, but don't make a rule of it.

In reply to:
I only wear a helmet when leading near my limits.

How does the rock know what kind of climb you're on when it decides to bail and pick a target on the way down? I wear mine whenever there is rock or ice above me. During my first climb on Mt. Yonah, 14 different ice falls rained down past us in two hours. That opened my eyes.

salt - Part of the answer immediately followed the part of the post that you quoted:

In reply to:
I don't often climb on loose rock, so rockfall isn't much of a risk. Joshua Tree is nice that way.

Joshua tree doesn't have much icefall either.

wallwombat

May 25, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #27 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only time I DON'T wear a helmet climbing is when I'm in the gym! S--- happens when you least expect it!

You don't seem to be wearing one in your profile photo, Dave.

I only wear mine if I'm climbing somewhere with loose rock, aid climbing or putting up a new trad route. Hence, I have not worn mine in quite a while.

kachoong

May 26, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #28 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Only time I DON'T wear a helmet climbing is when I'm in the gym! S--- happens when you least expect it!

You don't seem to be wearing one in your profile photo, Dave.

I only wear mine if I'm climbing somewhere with loose rock, aid climbing or putting up a new trad route. Hence, I have not worn mine in quite a while.

Yeah mate, you're right. That was quite a while ago. Since then I have seen and been involved with many rock fall incidents and so wear it pretty much all the time. Won't matter if the rock is bigger than your head anyway, but it's a good habbit. Maybe I should put another pic in my profile as it does send a bad message, sorry all.

j_ung- What I meant by the second sentance is that you never know what will happen, and that's reason enough to wear one. OK, so people may say then 'why don't you wear one in the gym then if something 'might' happen at any time?' Well..... no answer for that, but does anybody wear a helmet in the gym??? Would hate to be the first.

I think helmets save lives. Not wearing one will only increase death statistics.

....fire at will....

....Dave

girlclimb

May 26, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #29 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am currently filling out a gym waivor and it is the first one i have ever seen that has a section where you must sign that you will not wear a helmet against the wishes of the gym and insurance even though it has been offered to you, I have never worn a helmet in a gym but i have never had a waivor include that before it got me thinking does anyone ever use a helmet in the gym?.....

OH so about when i wear my hemet every time i have trad climbed while belaying or climbing, i havn't worn it bouldering ever lol umm and i've only been sport climbing once and i didn't wear one but since i have finnaly bought one of my own that may change. My experince of being gratful for wearing a helmet happened not because of a rock fall but because of onlookers on top of a climb throwing things down at us and the climbers next to us although nothing actualy hit us i did have a bottel wizz about a foot from my head! you never know what can happen...

kachoong

May 26, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #30 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why would the gym have a statement like that? That's wierd hey? You would think they should be happy letting anyone wear a helmet. How can it hurt the reputation of the gym?
girlclimb- did you say something to them about it? Great that you actually read the waivor! Nice work. Don't think many people do that these days.
...yeah...does anybody wear a helmet in the gym?

simianboy

May 26, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #31 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had always thought that if somebody yells rock, I would have time to look up and dodge whatever is headed my way but I have discovered, to my dismay, that my reaction is much slower than that. In fact, when anybody yells anything, my only reflex action seems to be to swing around (or in this case, look up) to see what's going on and then stand there for a few seconds trying to figure out what I had just heard.

One swollen brow and bruised eyelid later, I decided that the helmet I occasionally leave at home isn't really that dorky or uncomfortable after all.

vegastradguy

May 26, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #32 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

always. my heads always bouncing off the insides of chimneys and weird features in RR....its a good thing i wear it, otherwise i'd probably fall alot more. :)

dredsovrn

May 26, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #33 of 33 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wear a helmet trad climbing. Sometimes not toproping. If I am toproping a well travelled, straigt up route with no one climbing or hiking above I don't wear one always. I don't wear a helmet bouldering, but always ice climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook