RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

dvlangford

May 30, 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Winter in the USA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question and hopefully the answer is obvious to someone out there. I am an Australian heading ot the USA to work from November for 4 months. It is very likely I will be working in a ski resort.

My questions are:

In what areas are there ski resorts close to great climbing areas? Yep thats right I want the best of both worlds (snow and no snow all at the same time). Is this at all possible during winter?

Thanks in advance! I really dont want to be stuck away from crags for so long :D

roughster

May 30, 2004, 1:02 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter in the USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah thats doable:

Several places in California fit that bill:
Ski vs Climb
Big Bear: Bear Mtn/Snow Summit vs NJC/Joshua Tree
Tahoe: Well All resorts vs Pig Rock/Yosemite during dry spells/Auburn/DTSA/Day Trips into Bishop Areas/Table Mountain (aka Jailhouse/Grotto/Etc..)
Mammoth: Mammoth vs Tablelands/Buttermilks/Owens

Oregon: Hood vs Smith
Nevada: Mt Charleston vs Low elevation Vegas Areas (Red Rocks/La Madras/Lone Mountain/Etc..)

I am sure that Idaho and Central/Eastern Washington have their spots.

I would also assume Colorado would have a few spots based around Shelf Road.

Southern Utah (St George'ish) vs Brianhead
Not too mention Zion/Moab/etc.... I am sure you can find a spot somewhere between that is within striking distance of a resort.

Tucson in AZ Mt Lemon vs Mt Lemon/The Dry
Flagstaff in AZ Arizona snowbowl vs Central'ish AZ Spots (Sedona/Jack's/Queen Creek/The Drip/Homestead)

New Mexico would have some spots as well.

I'll let anyone from those states fill you in as they would have more specifics than I, but CA I do know :)

roughster

May 30, 2004, 1:06 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah thats doable:

Several places in California fit that bill:
Ski vs Climb
Big Bear: Bear Mtn/Snow Summit vs NJC/Joshua Tree
Tahoe: Well All resorts vs Pig Rock/Yosemite during dry spells/Auburn/DTSA/Day Trips into Bishop Areas/Table Mountain (aka Jailhouse/Grotto/Etc..)

Nevada: Mt Charleston vs Low elevation Vegas Areas (Red Rocks/La Madras/Lone Mountain/Etc..

I am sure that Idaho and Central/Eastern Washington have their spots.

I would also assume Colorado would have a few spots based around Shelf Road.

Southern Utah (St George'ish) vs Brianhead
Not too mention Zion/Moab/etc.... I am sure you can find a spot somewhere between that is within striking distance of a resort.

Flagstaff in AZ Arizona snowbowl vs Central'ish AZ Spots (Sedona/Jack's/Queen Creek/The Drip/Homestead)

New Mexico would have some spots as well.

I'll let anyone from those states fill you in as they would have more specifics than I, but CA I do know :)

dynamicpanda

May 31, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #4 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could do that in North Carolina if you wanted. There are plenty of ski slopes you could work at but none are very good so dont come if you are aiming to do alot of good skiing/snowboarding. During the winter you can climb at Rumbling Bald, Stone Mtn., Sauratown, and a few other smaller areas.

ullr

Jun 4, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #5 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caution about Flagstaff as posted above. Very hit or miss with snowfall. Sometimes (usually) the are doesn't open until Christmas or later. But the climbing is great.

Consider SLC, Utah. Great skiing of course, and Moab is 210 miles south.

rvega

Jun 4, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #6 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

:)

Being from Tucson, I'm not sure I agree with this. The Lemmon rarely has enough good snow to ski on. However, there is Sunrise Ski Resort in the White Mountains east of Phoenix and it's only a 3 hour drive from Tucson.

scuclimber

Jun 4, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #7 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want good climbing and good skiing, go with Mammoth for sure. You really can't beat the location for both quality and accessibility of rock and mountain. That being said, I've worked at small Tahoe resort for the last 4 seasons, going on 5, and I love it.

Colin

scuclimber

Jun 4, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #8 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

How about Bachelor vs Smith? Being that both are in Bend, OR.

Partner bill

Jun 4, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would forget about both places in AZ. Mt. Lemmon and Snowbowl both have very hit / miss seasons. The only ski resort in AZ that has anything resembling a reliable season is Sunrise, in the White Mountains, which is not very convenient to climbing.

jcinco

Jun 4, 2004, 8:04 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Breckenridge is 2 hours from Shelf Road, which is Colorado's best for consistent winter climbing. It seems like every third employee at Breck is from Australia.

The skiing is better near Salt Lake City, but the winter climbing is farther away and the scene for transient, partially-employeed ski bums isn't as cool.

killclimbz

Jun 4, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plenty of year round climbing in Colorado. Plenty of ski resorts in Colorado. You would probably want to stick to one of the front range resorts to be within a couple of hours of decent winter climbing locations.

cgranite

Jun 4, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats the one I would do.

slobmonster

Jun 5, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #13 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Telluride, Colorado is 2.5-3 hours from Moab and Indian Creek, and within a far shorter drive to lesser known crags. There is some quite good sport climbing in Ouray (right down the street form the Ice Park, if you're intersted in getting onto some ice), scary trad climbing in Ophir, and a fair amount of bouldering. Not the best climbing right in your backyard, but plenty to satiate you on your days off.

And the skiing is excellent.

dawnyb

Jun 5, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #14 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salt Lake City, of course! It has earned "the best snow on earth" slogan for good reason. Plus, there are lots of employment choices for you (since there are numerous resorts in the area). The snow simply cannot be beat, it's reasonably priced to live here, and things are closeby. As far as climbing goes, depending on what you like to do there is winter bouldering, crack climbing, sport climbing, etc. in the more southern parts of UT (5 h drive tops, but many things closer)... not to mention ice climbing. Since you are would be getting here in November, there are even climbing days to be had in the immediate local areas if it's sunny. As a SLC-er who moved here from AZ I can say that you would be much happier here than at any of the AZ resorts, which have spotty seasons at best. Good luck!

scuclimber

Jun 5, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #15 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so Mammoth Mountain is an hour from Owens, the Buttermilks, and the Volcanic Tablelands. I still haven't heard anything mentioned that beats the accessibility factor for a part-time Aussie who probably won't have a car (he didn't specify this). Either Mammoth or Bend (what's Smith like in the winter?)

Colin

Edited to mention there is ice climbing at June Lake in the winter and some of the best backcountry in the world.

ullr

Jun 6, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #16 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bishop-Mammoth. Yup, eastern Sierra gets my vote.

500+ inches per year of snow, awesome spring corn skiing. Tons of killer backcountry terrain. The Sierras are the schizznit.

Owens River sport climbing, Happy Boulders, Buttermilks.

scuclimber

Jun 6, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #17 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bishop-Mammoth. Yup, eastern Sierra gets my vote.

500+ inches per year of snow, awesome spring corn skiing. Tons of killer backcountry terrain. The Sierras are the schizznit.

Owens River sport climbing, Happy Boulders, Buttermilks.

Exactly. I went to those three areas last weekend and they were awesome. And believe me, I would rather be snowboard instructing in Mammoth than in Tahoe.

Colin

tahoe_rock_master

Jun 6, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[

Tahoe is great. You can even climb on Donner Summit during the winter. Plus the skiing is awesome. If you went to Mammoth you would be able to go to owens river gorge, all sport climbing, I don't know if you want to do trad or sport or both.

Matt

scuclimber

Jun 6, 2004, 8:09 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can even climb on Donner Summit during the winter.

Not as reliably as the Bishop areas. But you have a point about trad.

davidji

Jun 6, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You can even climb on Donner Summit during the winter.

Not as reliably as the Bishop areas. But you have a point about trad.
Sugarloaf is good in the Winter too. Fairly close to South Lake Tahoe, while Donner is near North Lake Tahoe.

Someone else mentioned Bend, Oregon. I'd be inclined to go there. Mt Bachelor is better than most of the ski areas around Tahoe (Squaw Valley is certainly more elaborate). You could get a nice climb day at Smith Rock any time of year.

For most of the above, you'll want a car. Donner is the only one I can imagine doing without a car, but you might not find the snow or rock choices very satisfying.

charlatan

Jun 7, 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #21 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Mammoth has great skiing and access to great climbing . . . but the Aussies who work the lifts are more like indentured servants. You get paid about enough to cover the amount they take automatically from your check to cover your housing. You'll need access to a car to get to the Gorge or the Happies . . . and it's hard to afford the money for gas to get that far and back, once you've paid the exorbitant amount to Intrawest for your food (or to Village Market, if you get that far from the hill, or even Vons, for that matter: it's expensive as hell to live there). Working lifts is like watching some cheap animated feature with a background that goes around and around and around while Scooby Doo moves his legs. Most people use drugs to deal with the boredom (and until you've been tehere a while and kissed some ass, you won't be doing any boarding except down to the bottom lift station from the top lift station, and only on prescribed (easiest) runs), and drugs are expensive, especially after you've spent most of your check on beer.

So go for it: the view alone is worth a grat deal of suffering, but beware Intrawest, a multinational corporation which doesn't hire so many Aussies because they're trying to improve international relations. You're just a whiter version of the Latinos they hire to cook and clean. And they'll make you cut your hair, take out your earrings, shave your beard, and you can't dye your hair, have tattoos or piercings, either. Other than that, it's a real free and easy place to work. And by the way, the visa you'll get means you have to work for Mammoth: it's not as though you can just quit when you decide you hate them.

Partner beanricecheese

Jun 7, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #22 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay in Bend, OR. You got Mt. Bachelor 20 miles from Bend and Smith Rock 30 miles. It will be cold as ice in Bend but you can still climb. InClimb is a good gym when you can't get out or it is tooooo cold.

-James

scuclimber

Jun 7, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #23 of 23 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, Mammoth has great skiing and access to great climbing . . . but the Aussies who work the lifts are more like indentured servants. You get paid about enough to cover the amount they take automatically from your check to cover your housing. You'll need access to a car to get to the Gorge or the Happies . . . and it's hard to afford the money for gas to get that far and back, once you've paid the exorbitant amount to Intrawest for your food (or to Village Market, if you get that far from the hill, or even Vons, for that matter: it's expensive as hell to live there). Working lifts is like watching some cheap animated feature with a background that goes around and around and around while Scooby Doo moves his legs. Most people use drugs to deal with the boredom (and until you've been tehere a while and kissed some ass, you won't be doing any boarding except down to the bottom lift station from the top lift station, and only on prescribed (easiest) runs), and drugs are expensive, especially after you've spent most of your check on beer.

So go for it: the view alone is worth a grat deal of suffering, but beware Intrawest, a multinational corporation which doesn't hire so many Aussies because they're trying to improve international relations. You're just a whiter version of the Latinos they hire to cook and clean. And they'll make you cut your hair, take out your earrings, shave your beard, and you can't dye your hair, have tattoos or piercings, either. Other than that, it's a real free and easy place to work. And by the way, the visa you'll get means you have to work for Mammoth: it's not as though you can just quit when you decide you hate them.

Another plus about Tahoe: if you work at Squaw or Boreal (tiny resort where I work), you have lights so you can ride after work. If you have experience, get hired as patrol or an instructor so you don't have to be a lift op.

Colin

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook