RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

wa_hoo

Jun 4, 2004, 1:05 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

where to boulder in black hills
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Help! I am having trouble finding info on bouldering in South Dakota - around Sylvan Lake, Mt. Baldy, etc. Are there guidebooks available there? Local stores you'd recommend asking at? We're going in a couple weeks and looking for V0-V3 type stuff.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

thevealchop

Jun 4, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Re: where to boulder in black hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can email me at dan@sdcv.net and I'll hook you up with approach beta and everything else.

Dan

ramylson

Jun 4, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well.. as far as I know, there's really no guide book for the area (yet). You can find some stuff in the old American Alpine Guide "Touch the Sky", but even that is very limited. There's a lot of stuff around the Sylvan Lake area, with the potential for a lot more. You just have to be willing to walking around and get on what inspires. As far as the Mt. Rushmore area,
there is a guide associated with the end of the "Friction Addiction DVD". Must of which deals with established problems around the Mt. Baldy Area.

climbingcam

Jun 4, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know if there is much bouldering in her guide but long time resident of the black hills, Cindy Tolle has an e-book guide to the area. You can get the details at tutuaca.org, it's 10 or 15 bucks. You should email Cindy and ask her if bouldering is in the guide, if its not I'm sure she could point you in the right direction. Hope this helps. Cameron

wa_hoo

Jun 5, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D You guys are awesome! Thanks for the good leads and connections!

wa_hoo

Jun 11, 2004, 2:04 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D The results (for info seekers): climbingblackhills.com is awesome, and combined with Tim Toula's book Rock-n-Road, provide ample choices and info for bouldering in the black hills. Thanks so much - our trip would've been a bust without this info!

ramylson

Jun 11, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice. Good to hear that you had a successful trip. I'm actually supposed to be going out there next week, but it looks like I'm going to have to cancel due to working on my home. (:evil:) So, I'm truely envious. Where did you guys end up going?

wa_hoo

Jun 28, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D We ended up trying the campground boulder at Sylvan Lake and got spanked. It's got some V2 rated problems, but the crystals are so worn that it seemed much more difficult and was a bit frustrating.

The rock mazes east of Nemo were incredible!

The rock mazes are on Nemo Road a few miles east of Nemo. (to get there, get on the road which starts in western rapid city off the I-90 business route as Chicago St, then turns into S. Canyon Rd, then into Nemo Rd. Then when you see the national park service picnic area called steamboat rock, there's a small sand pullout on the other side of the road and they're right there a few hundred yards up the hill!)

Anyway - imagine 8'-12' cubes of sandstone which once were a huge slab, it broke up and all slid slightly down a hill, creating almost creepy narrow passages in between the blocks. It's crazy!

The bouldering was great - much of it's around the back/far side, but wandering around inside the mazes was fun too. The rock was awesome and there's tons of good problems in a wide range of difficulty. We wanted V0 - V2 stuff. Check out climbingblackhills.com for lots of routes. Good landings too. I would definitely recommend a trip to the rock mazes! The weather got rainy and we never made it to old baldy - maybe next year.

Partner drrock

Jun 28, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved the Rock Maze! My profile pic is from there... Awesome routes, tons of variety, and nobody else there on a Sunday!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=30970

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=30970

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook