RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

joshklingbeil

Jun 5, 2004, 7:46 AM
Post #1 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Kill the Killer bees around Phoenix Fund
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you all know their are alot of hives around the crags in Arizona. It costs alot of $$$$$ to get the to bottom of this situation. I've talked to the park rangers at Pinnacle Peak and they say the problem is hard to take care of due to the lack of skills of the bee exterminator. Thay look up at the rock and shake there heads and say no way. So if you local climbers want this matter taken care of it's gonna cost money like it or not. And the only way to pay for it is out of our pockets.I can't wait to get all the bee defendents on my case. Anyways PM me if you want to contribute and reclaim our crags. 100% of proceeds go to bee extermination.Only you can help stop the bees from taking over Phoenix...........Peace and death to the Bees

ullr

Jun 5, 2004, 8:17 AM
Post #2 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Re: Kill the Killer bees around Phoenix Fund [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Contribute in what way?

joshklingbeil

Jun 5, 2004, 8:32 AM
Post #3 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Either kill some bees or buy some wasp killer and send it to me or send cash. You live in flag so you don't have this problem . This is ment for phoenix climbers that climb at these bee infested choss piles , have money and want the bees gone before someone else gets stung to death.I'll do the dirty work with the right equipment. BTW hows the Hilti are you gonna put up something up in Sedona soon?

dymondbak37

Jun 5, 2004, 8:35 AM
Post #4 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a lot of people would rather send you a care package of toxic spray then random checks. :D

joshklingbeil

Jun 5, 2004, 8:48 AM
Post #5 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Either way It's all good we got bees at all of our local crags except for beardsley boulders that I know of. Send me the toxic chemicals and a note telling me what hive you want to help destroy. PM me for address so I don't have bee lovers burning down my house. It also costs $$$ to drive 80 miles to spray a local hive at $2.25 a gallon......

ullr

Jun 5, 2004, 9:02 AM
Post #6 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW hows the Hilti are you gonna put up something up in Sedona soon?

We have three of probably six pitches put up on a new route in Sedona. We will finish it this fall when it cools down. First pitch is incredible. 190 feet long-huge huecos-bolts-gear-very unique climbing for Sedona.

Back to the subject at hand. Is it even legal to mail bug killer via US Mail?

joshklingbeil

Jun 5, 2004, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds awsome I wounder how many 1/2 x3 3/4 bolts you can put in Sedona sandstone with one Hilti 6a batt? No I don't think so......You can send almost anything on UPS but dont take my word for it.

ullr

Jun 5, 2004, 9:41 AM
Post #8 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wounder how many 1/2 x3 3/4 bolts you can put in Sedona sandstone with one Hilti 6a batt?

Thread hijack: 1/2" x 3 3/4"- millions. But we are using 1/2" by 5 3/4" monsters. Those puppies give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you clip 'em.

joshklingbeil

Jun 5, 2004, 9:47 AM
Post #9 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Power-bolt 5 peice?Sounds bommer to me...

Partner xclimber

Jun 5, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #10 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
buy some wasp killer and send it to me

I've heard that urethane foam works well (encases the little devils)... Might be a bit messier though...

I know of at least on hive down in Cochise near Nightstalker. BEEWARE!

x

climbingfreak45

Jun 5, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one word for you guys. FLAMETHROWER

timstich

Jun 5, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #12 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
one word for you guys. FLAMETHROWER

Depending on the hive, it's not that effective actually and it blackens the rocks with soot. Some cliff faces have little caves that go back many feet, so only the front line bees get killed. But those rear area mofo bees are all in the back of the cave smoking cigs and playing craps. Poisoning and sealing off the hive entrances is the better way from what I have seen from the Bee Wars.

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 6, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #13 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet napalm would work well to get the buggers... :twisted:

ullr

Jun 6, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #14 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Found this info.........

Generally speaking, you should not kill bees. They are a very important part of nature. Without bees, many plants would not exist and they are also great at controlling the population of other insects. However, sometimes bees can destroy parts of your home, and endanger people. The method described here is generally for carpenter bees, which can cause severe damage by making their nests in the exterior wood of your home.

1. Spraying individual bees will kill them, but what does that matter when there are thousands more back in the nest. The best method is to destroy the entire colony.

2. Buy a bag of SEVIN® dust. It is sold in most Home and Garden stores. Make sure it is the fine powder and not granules.

3. Find the entrance to the colony. This will be a hole somewhere in the wood of your house. You will notice the bees entering and leaving from this hole.

4. Place the SEVIN dust in a pump spray container. The container can be the type used for applying liquid weed killer. As long as you increase the pressure in the container enough, it will work just great dispensing the dust. Make sure the nozzle valve is open as much as possible to prevent clogs.

5. At night, and only at night, spray the inside of the bee entrance hole with the SEVIN dust.

6. All the bees are in their home at night and not very active. Once the bees start moving around, they will coat themselves with the SEVIN dust and spread it all throughout the colony. The entire colony will be wiped out in about a week. If after a week you still see the bees, repeat this process.

7. This also works for yellow jackets which make their colonies in the ground. Just apply the SEVIN dust in their entrance holes, at night of course. Be careful with yellow jackets, they will attack if they are threatened. On the other hand, carpenter bees are not very aggressive.

climbsomething

Jun 6, 2004, 6:30 AM
Post #15 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Generally speaking, you should not kill bees. They are a very important part of nature....

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. Similar threads have come up here- climbers want to annihilate the local bees, wasps, prickly plants, even slugs (or was that one a troll?)- and they make me want to go hug my nearest tree.

Anyway. I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy here. Guess I'm just mean like dat.

oklahoma_climber

Jun 6, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #16 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... On the other hand, carpenter bees are not very aggressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a carpenter bee and an Africanized or "killer" bee are like apples and oranges. I've been to PHX, and and those things ain't your everyday carpenter bee...

I wish I had a solution for you, but it looks like my glass is just half empty tonight.

ullr

Jun 6, 2004, 6:49 AM
Post #17 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a carpenter bee and an Africanized or "killer" bee are like apples and oranges. I've been to PHX, and and those things ain't your everyday carpenter bee...

Yeah, I'm no Entomologist. I wouldn't want to be behind the spray bottle tackling the task at hand.

fadeux

Jun 6, 2004, 7:36 AM
Post #18 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Bees are good. they make honey, and pollinate flowers.... Killer bees are bad. They make honey and kill small mammels. Im all for wiping them out. I know there was at least one climber killed on camelback this year because of them...

chsanta

Jun 13, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #19 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I wasn't broke from driving all 31 1/2 hours down there I'd help. My wife and I almost did our last climb ever there, thanks to the friggin' bees. Holy sh#$ that was freaky, never been that scared on any lead before, genuinely thought I was gonna die!!!

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 13, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #20 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For anyone who doesn't seem to get it, killer bees are man made like plastic. They are not only deadly, but completely unnatural. They are a mistake that needs to be corrected, but we made them too damn strong to fully eradicate them. Strong was the idea, but we got a little extra. I find it contemptable that people are so into nature as to want to protect something that shouldn't even exist. Thankfully, I'm now a bit north of their current range, but I saw someone attacked my them first-hand in Florida. He got into a car and they even followed the car! I say kill them all, but be sure you're getting only the right hives. Regular bees, wasps, snakes, spiders, I have no problem with.

sed

Jun 13, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #21 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It amazes me some of the crap I read in these posts. You are more likely to get hurt or killed trying to eradicate the colony then if you just use some caution and avoid areas where the bees hive. And yes bees are a necessary part of nature and no africanized bees are not an abomination or man made product - they are just a more agressive strain. It's like a pit bull compared to a golden retriever, both dogs but different attitudes. However, if you want to rap a route with a body suit, a smoke blower, and an arsenal of chemicals be my guest.
If you have any luck let me know your technique, there are some routes with too many climbers on I'd like to clean up.
S

saskclimber

Jun 13, 2004, 3:57 AM
Post #22 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
africanized bees are not an abomination or man made product - they are just a more agressive strain.

Africanized "Killer" bees, are most definately "man-made". Check out http://www.stingshield.com/whatahb.htm It's man's fault they're here in the first place. Now we have to deal with them... Good thing I live in Canada.

robthebuilder79

Jun 13, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #23 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I'm piss pore broke, but I'll drive!!! I'm also pretty slick with a Gri Gri. And I have no problem with rapping at night. Let me know!

Partner coldclimb

Jun 13, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #24 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Generally speaking, you should not kill bees. They are a very important part of nature....

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. Similar threads have come up here- climbers want to annihilate the local bees, wasps, prickly plants, even slugs (or was that one a troll?)- and they make me want to go hug my nearest tree.

Anyway. I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy here. Guess I'm just mean like dat.

Don't forget that we're already completely slaughtering the snails, by accident. ;) Remeber that one? :lol:

Bees have never bothered me, but I can see how they could easily cut off access to climbs, and I don't even let people stop me from climbing if I can help it...

sed

Jun 13, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #25 of 25 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a site that actually has some accurate information:

http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/frame/x189.htm

S

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook