Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skiorclimb

Jun 2, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #26 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ethics, Ethics, Ethics... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
largebarge wrote:
Dialogue on a particular subject does occasionally change my ethic concerning it. I always try to be open to other points of view.

I don't know it all, and sometimes I can see things from a new perspective by talking to other climbers. Everyone here must have gained thier ethical viewpoint through some input from outside sources. My father taught me to respect the wilderness, and the rights of other people. Much of my climbing ethic is an extrapilation from these tenets that I learned long before becoming a climber.

curt

Jun 3, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #27 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Climbers often conuse ethics with style. A climber's ethics by definition affect people other than himself. For instance, if you chip a hold, the rock is permanently changed for everyone. Style, on the other hand, is strictly personal. Whether you hangdog a route or climb it in a "better" style doesn't affect anyone else.

-Jay

Where are you getting this definition of "ethics", Jay?

Although there may be some "gray" areas (as per acw, above) and others, that is the definition that has been used by climbers for at least the 25 years I have been involved in the sport.

Curt

alpnclmbr1

Jun 3, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #28 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbers often conuse ethics with style. A climber's ethics by definition affect people other than himself. For instance, if you chip a hold, the rock is permanently changed for everyone. Style, on the other hand, is strictly personal. Whether you hangdog a route or climb it in a "better" style doesn't affect anyone else.

When I started climbing style and ethics were basically synonymous terms. Ethics involves judgment. Style is a way of doing something. "Poor style" is more a judgment than it is a way of doing something.

jt512

Jun 3, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #29 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Although there may be some "gray" areas (as per acw, above) and others, that is the definition that has been used by climbers for at least the 25 years I have been involved in the sport.

Curt

Yes, the climbing definition of "ethics" is narrower than the philosophical definition.

-Jay

fracture

Jun 4, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #30 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Curt

Yes, the climbing definition of "ethics" is narrower than the philosophical definition.

-Jay

So what definition do you think applies?

Under the standard definition of "ethics", the questions of whether it is wrong or right to bolt cracks, chip holds, glue, use chalk, fall, hangdog, stick clip (and how many bolts), bolt on rap, or pre-hang quickdraws for hard redpoints are all valid issues in "climbing ethics", and climbers do in fact take positions (sometimes with flabbergasting stupidity) on all of those as being either wrong or right (or neither).

Similarly lots of questions in medical ethics are about issues which do not affect anyone other than the people involved---for example, whether assisted suicide is ethical.

jt512

Jun 4, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #31 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Curt

-Jay

So what definition do you think applies?

While I didn't give a formal definition, I think I answered that question in my first post. Ethical issues in climbing are those that affect people other than the climber who is performing the act in question. That is the way I've always heard the term used in climbing, and the way I've always heard it differentiated from questions of style, which don't affect anyone else.

In reply to:
Under the standard definition of "ethics", the questions of whether it is wrong or right to bolt cracks, chip holds, glue, use chalk, fall, hangdog, stick clip (and how many bolts), bolt on rap, or pre-hang quickdraws for hard redpoints are all valid issues in "climbing ethics"...

The way "ethics" is used by those who distinguish it from "style" in climbing, bolting, chipping, gluing, and chalk (gray area) would be considered ethical issues because they alter the rock (more or less permanently, except for chalk) and hence affect other people's experience of the rock. Falling, handogging, and stick clipping are strictly stylistic issues. Whether you stick clip or not doesn't affect me in the least.

-Jay

alpnclmbr1

Jun 8, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #32 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jgill
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject:

The reference by Wigglestick gives a fairly decent description of my system. Keep in mind that the ethics of rock climbing were different then. If you fell on a roped climb, you descended and started the pitch over. Hangdogging and top-rope practice of a move were considered unethical.
(snip)

Partner wormly81

Jun 8, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #33 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not sure that you can say hangdogging is strictly a issue of style.

People who camp out on popular routes are definately affecting other climbers enjoyment of the rock. No?

Jeff

dingus

Jun 8, 2004, 2:01 PM
Post #34 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The way "ethics" is used by those who distinguish it from "style" in climbing, bolting, chipping, gluing, and chalk (gray area) would be considered ethical issues because they alter the rock (more or less permanently, except for chalk) and hence affect other people's experience of the rock. Falling, handogging, and stick clipping are strictly stylistic issues. Whether you stick clip or not doesn't affect me in the least.

-Jay

In reply to:
jgill
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:17 pm Post subject:

Keep in mind that the ethics of rock climbing were different then. If you fell on a roped climb, you descended and started the pitch over. Hangdogging and top-rope practice of a move were considered unethical.

These two statements are not consistent with one another.

Hang-dogging clearly WAS one a matter of ethics. Interesting evolution... it can't be unethical if you remove the issue from the field of play. Hehe.

Who gets to decide anyway?

DMT

Partner jammer

Jun 8, 2004, 2:24 PM
Post #35 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This site may help those who are struggeling ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ethics

sarcat

Jun 8, 2004, 2:49 PM
Post #36 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I've learned a few "not to do" things from threads were spray was the norm. I've also figured out a few of the "I don't care about that" issues that others get bent over.

Others ideas of dos and don'ts can help teach if done in a civilized maner. Take the booty issue for example:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60377

Partner p_grandbois

Jun 10, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #37 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did we get off topic? :shock:

jt512

Jun 10, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #38 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
jgill

The reference by Wigglestick gives a fairly decent description of my system. Keep in mind that the ethics of rock climbing were different then. If you fell on a roped climb, you descended and started the pitch over. Hangdogging and top-rope practice of a move were considered unethical.
(snip)

I see your John Gill and raise you a Royal Robbins. From Basic Rockcraft (1977): "Actions which directly affect others in the climbing community are properly questions of ethics." ... "'Style' is a slippery word, difficult to define. In rockclimbing it refers to the methods and equipment used, and the degree of 'adventure' involved in the ascent."

These definitions show, that according to Robbins, handogging is a question of style, not ethics, because it is a matter of the methods used in the ascent, and is not something that directly affects others.

-Jay

Partner rgold

Jun 10, 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #39 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the endless ethics debate is an essential ingredient in a sport that has neither a rulebook nor referees, and so is maintained by the players themselves.

It seems to me that the use of the term "ethics," which would ordinarily carry a moral overtone, represents our need to invest an attractive but quite pointless activity with a level of dignity consummate with the effort we are investing. I think "rules of the game" would be a more accurate description of most so-called ethics debates, whether or not other climbers are "affected" by the actions in question. Although the distinction Curt makes between "style" and "ethics" has merit, I think it is also true that the two concepts are not entirely distinct, partially because it isn't always clear what it means for one climber to be "affected" by the actions of another.

The basic problem driving "ethical" debates is that, from some time after WW II, technology made most ascents, in principle, a foregone conclusion. In order for the sport to have any content at all, climbers had to voluntarily restrict themselves. The essence of all climbing is the voluntary renunciation of all possible means at one's disposal. The restrictions create and preserve a context for the idea of difficulty and make it possible to evaluate and compare achievements, but they also create the potential for endless conflict as some climbers grant themselves more "priveleges" than others.

Conflict also arises because the restrictions adopted at any one time eventually cap "progress," and in order to achieve higher levels of difficulty, some of the restrictions have to be lifted. Conversely, "progress" is sometimes achieved by imposing new restrictions that eliminate advantages previously enjoyed.

In all these cases, there is a vigorous and often quite heated debate between the proponents of the old rules and the adherents of new ones. Far from being a standoff in which no one budges as little_philly suggests, these debates (at least in my experience) have a way of shaping, over time, a consensus, albeit ragged at the edges, about how we ought to climb.

The internet does provide a new and considerably less civil forum for a process that goes back at least to the early debates on whether pitons were "justified" on British crags. The only thing worse for the sport than having these debates would be not having them.

alpnclmbr1

Jun 10, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #40 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
jgill

(snip)

I see your John Gill and raise you a Royal Robbins. From Basic Rockcraft (1977): "Actions which directly affect others in the climbing community are properly questions of ethics." ... "'Style' is a slippery word, difficult to define. In rockclimbing it refers to the methods and equipment used, and the degree of 'adventure' involved in the ascent."

These definitions show, that according to Robbins, handogging is a question of style, not ethics, because it is a matter of the methods used in the ascent, and is not something that directly affects others.

-Jay

In reply to:
Although the distinction Curt makes between "style" and "ethics" has merit, I think it is also true that the two concepts are not entirely distinct, partially because it isn't always clear what it means for one climber to be "affected" by the actions of another.

I will see that and raise with an rgold.

re: the robbin's quote. He separated the two in light of his advocacy of the clean climbing revolution.

Robbin'd refused to clip retro-gear and called it a matter of style. Matters of style were very important to Robbin's.

Here is an example of an ethics debate from 83 where style was used in place of ethics.

Boltdude
Posted: 17 Jun 2003 19:20 Post subject: Higgins ethics essay from the 1983 Tuolumne guide

Here's an interesting view from the early 1980s. - Greg

From the 1983 edition of Rock Climbs of Tuolumne Meadows by Don Reid and Chris Falkenstein, published by Chockstone Press.

A Climbing Commentary
by Thomas Higgins

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=33705

fracture

Jun 11, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #41 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMNSHO...

Neither Robbins nor Gill get to control the definition of words in the English language.

Prescriptivism in linguistics is an unfortunate practice.

The way the word is used is the way it's used. It's simply an ethical statement to say "hangdogging is wrong", under the accepted definition of the word "ethics". ...and, yes, climbers do say that kind of wonky-ass shit.

jt512

Jun 11, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #42 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
jgill

(snip)

-Jay

In reply to:
Although the distinction Curt makes between "style" and "ethics" has merit, I think it is also true that the two concepts are not entirely distinct, partially because it isn't always clear what it means for one climber to be "affected" by the actions of another.

Which, I think, is why Robbins didn't just say "affects others," he said "directly affects others." It is difficult to see how a climber's decision to rest on a piece and try the mve again, rather than to lower to the ground and start the climb from scratch, would have any direct affect on anyone other than himself. He'll get the move quicker is all.

-Jay

alpnclmbr1

Jun 11, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #43 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Which, I think, is why Robbins didn't just say "affects others," he said "directly affects others." It is difficult to see how a climber's decision to rest on a piece and try the mve again, rather than to lower to the ground and start the climb from scratch, would have any direct affect on anyone other than himself. He'll get the move quicker is all.

If we are speaking in the context of Robbin's time. Then hangdogging did have a significant impact on other people. See the ethics article link that I posted in my previous post.

Fracture got it right technically as well.

jt512

Jun 11, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #44 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If we are speaking in the context of Robbin's time. Then hangdogging did have a significant impact on other people. See the ethics article link that I posted in my previous post.

Hangdogging has never had a direct effect on anyone other than the climber doing the hangdogging -- well maybe a few belayers have gotten stiff necks. Your hangdogging doesn't affect me in the least. It makes no sense to consider hangodogging an ethical issue. How can hanging on a piece of gear possibly be considered morally wrong?

In reply to:
Fracture got it right technically as well.

Fracture didn't get it right either. We're not arguing about the meaning of the word ethics -- ethics deals with moral right and wrong. The question is whether hangdogging falls into that category. Is there a moral dimension to hangdogging? I think not.

I am in complete agreement with Curt. I have never known hangdogging to be considered unethical. Distasteful to some, yes. Poor style to some, yes. But unethical; ie, morally wrong? That is an absurdity. Get up the rock any damn way you want. Unless your climbing style alters the rock, I do not see how a climbing style can be an ethical issue.

-Jay

dingus

Jun 11, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #45 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless your climbing style alters the rock, I do not see how a climbing style can be an ethical issue.

-Jay

I think rgolds post comes as close to reality as any. He basically says that from the mid-40's on it became apparent that with sufucient time, energy, bolts and whatnot, any section of rock could be climbed, blank or not.

That is the rule-less environment.

So we adopt rules, constraints, in order to make the game harder, in order to compete and compare our accomplishments with others.

Is it not unethical to hangdog. But to use hang dogging where others have not, and then to artfully forget to mention said hang dogging, that could be viewed as unethical.

Anyway, the question: Is it moral to bring a gun to a knife fight?

Isn't that the essence of the issue?

DMT

jt512

Jun 11, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #46 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it not unethical to hangdog. But to use hang dogging where others have not, and then to artfully forget to mention said hang dogging, that could be viewed as unethical.

I agree. To claim that your ascent was in better style that it was could be considered unethical.

-Jay

alpnclmbr1

Jun 11, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #47 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A Time of Controversy

As the seventies arrived, the era of boundless opportunities drew to a close and a controversy began over climbing styles. Climbers began attacking more fearsome faces and cracks. New climbers on the scene spent long periods in The Meadows, sometimes returning several times to try the same route. Climbers hung ropes for weeks at a time to reserve a prospective route and allow repeated access to high points. A few aid climbs appeared, unheard of since 1958. Also, climbers resorted to preprotection (placing protection on rappel or on aid, then free climbing); previewing (viewing and/or rehearsing moves on rappel or by top rope); and resting on protection or yo-yoing (repeated tries at moves, lowering, and possibly hand-walking the rope to try again). Needless to say, climbers of the sixties were appalled at the new styles. The new stylists argued that many new routes couldn't be done in any other way, or that the final route was more important than the means.

Several routes focused the debate. On Fairview Dome, aid was used on the Plastic Exploding Inevitable to climb the giant roofs above Crescent Ledge. What a disappointment to the climbers of the sixties who unsuccessfully tried the roof, then turned back with the expectations that some day it too would be free climbed. Death Crack was rehearsed several times with a top rope before it was finally led. Hoodwink involved a short aid ladder to protect immediate free climbing. Wailing Wall was preprotected, as was a short section of Shambles. Handbook was yo-yo'd.

Perhaps the lightning rod for the debate was Willie's Hand Jive. Here, nearly the entire route was created by placing bolts on rappel. In 1974, in a fit of righteousness, I chopped the bolts and lectured one of the first ascent team about traditional styles. Later, the bolts were replaced on rappel, this time more numerous than last. Such was the intensity of conflict between new and traditional styles!

Hand Jive taught me more than had my old, strict mentors about adhering to traditional climbing styles. The route broke no frontier of difficulty, while robbing others of the opportunity to try the first ascent in traditional climbing style.

You may want to do the route and judge whether or not it could have been protected in the same way most face climbs of the sixties were done. Ponder the same question on Hoodwink, just above the roof on the last pitch. Finally, the super crack climbers of today may want to try Handbook, Death Crack, Wailing Wall and Blues Riff without rehearsing, preprotecting or yo-yoing. My hunch is that some of today's climbers will find these climbs possible in the traditional style. If so, how will they feel about losing the chance at a first ascent in traditional style?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=33705

mreardon

Jun 11, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #48 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am in complete agreement with Curt. I have never known hangdogging to be considered unethical. Distasteful to some, yes. Poor style to some, yes. But unethical; ie, morally wrong? That is an absurdity. Get up the rock any damn way you want. Unless your climbing style alters the rock, I do not see how a climbing style can be an ethical issue.

-Jay

Yup, what he said.

alpnclmbr1

Jun 11, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #49 of 49 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you define the ethical standards of rock climbing?

Ethics and morals are basically a list of rules agreed upon by a community. Does it matter whether we call them ethics or styles? Not really.

Hangdogging is weak. That is ethically and morally a judgment that has a longstanding basis in the traditions of climbing.

Do I hangdog. Yes, I have resorted to hang dogging when it has seemed useful to do so. Do I think it is the way to learn to climb hard? Hardly. Strategically hang dogging a route in order to speed up the process of sending the route can work sometimes, that is all.

Most times people hangdog, it is because they are chicken and they didn’t really go for it. I sure as heck judge myself when I give up without really trying. I judge others as well, I can’t help it, it goes with the territory.

For myself “good style” still has an ethical context.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook