Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

powen

Jun 9, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #76 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Re: Clueless and giving lead tests [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
As it is mine that she had PMS, but then she shoul complain about not you.

Did you just type these words at random?

-Jay

"If you have enough monkeys
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will eventually type the works
of William Shakespeare."

Or posts on rc.com:)

Sorry, grammar whore over here;)

jt512

Jun 9, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #77 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

of William Shakespeare."

That would explain how this topic got started, since, surely, no one would intentionally start a thread complaining about a gym employee who failed someone on a lead test after he flagrantly violated a universal gym rule right in front of the examiner.

-Jay

jt512

Jun 9, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #78 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

jt512 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 moved this thread from Sport Climbing to Indoor Gyms.

kellie

Jun 9, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #79 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Clueless and giving lead tests [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That girls in general are al ot more sensible (or hysteric ) when they have PMS is a fact. That I have a mid life crisis is just your opinion.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Totally uncalled for. Mid life what? Get lost.

In reply to:

I bet your the kind of person who crys and whines when you are pulled over for speeding: " Yeah, I know the speed limit is 65 officer, but I don't see a sign right here saying NOT to go 90. I have been driving for more than 20 years officer, what gives you the right to pull me over!" People like you are LAME, simple enough. Get off your "climbing" high horse, accept the fact that this person is a doing their job, and concentrate on something more important than your "mid life crisis" ego.

Oh, so now I see, it's ok to accuse someone of acting in a certain way due to pms, but totally unacceptable to accuse someone of acting in a certain way due to midlife crisis. Excellent.

Actually it is not my opinion that you have a mid life crisis, that was over_the_hill's opinion. It is my opinion that you prefer ad hominem (or, in this case, ad feminem, hah!) attacks to actually dealing with the merits of a given situation or argument.

Also, it is my opinion that your mood seems to be affecting your spelling and punctuation, not to mention your reasoning. (Women are more sensible or more "hysteric" when PMSing? Well, which is it? Make up your mind.)

This has been fun, but I'm going on vacation now.

sarcat

Jun 9, 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #80 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Oh please please pleaseeeeeees take me with you?

powen

Jun 9, 2004, 7:36 PM
Post #81 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually it is not my opinion that you have a mid life crisis, that was over_the_hill's opinion. It is my opinion that you prefer ad hominem (or, in this case, ad feminem, hah!) attacks to actually dealing with the merits of a given situation or argument.

Also, it is my opinion that your mood seems to be affecting your spelling and punctuation, not to mention your reasoning. (Women are more sensible or more "hysteric" when PMSing? Well, which is it? Make up your mind.)

The spelling, punctuation and reasoning can all be explained... it's that time of the month for him: http://www.gladiatordiet.com/male_pms.htm

boltedcrack

Jun 9, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #82 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That girls in general are al ot more sensible (or hysteric ) when they have PMS is a fact.

I need to meet these women you know. "Sensible" is definitely not a word I would use to describe a PMSing woman.

Also, you need to work on not inverting your sentences. They make you sound like you haven't thought through what you're posting...

OH WAIT... this is a thread complaining about someone not passing a test when he blatently violated the rules...

mark99

Jun 9, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #83 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is so cool reading the whole thread... wasted about 10mintues of my work time.....

Always good to see people argue about one thing and then lead it off to another... so interesting I though I might as well add my opinion in as well.

From the facts that have been given so far.. one thing stands out to me.

If this is correct she never mentioned that you were not alloud to miss clips. She stated that you cannot miss the first clip, which you friend did not do. So why did he fail?

Then there is the fact that if you feel that since you have done eveything correct, I would have simple said thanks, but I would like to talk to you manager or the person in charge for a second opinion. Explain what was said to you and I am sure that one of two things would have happen. One he would have to take the test again or 2 he would have passed.

Though you may have hurt the person's feelings about going over her head, at the end of the day it is up to the manager of the gym to take the risk.

Anyhow, I have a whole differant opinion on the subject that is being discussed.

I will hate it how everything comes down to legal crap in the us and parts of canada... I say if you sign a waiver it should stand. No come backs, no I did not read it... If you sign it you are responisble. I believe that too many people are always looking to blame somebody else for there mistakes. Fair enough if the equipment did not work correctly or broke due to not being faulty or not maintained. But if you did something stupid or did not follow the rules then you are responisble.

Well I am very thankful that I live in NZ, but though I say this, it is slowly becoming the same way... I just hope it does not get to the stage some places are...

timstich

Jun 9, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #84 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meanwhile at a climbing gym somewhere...

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/bulldozer.jpg

Did I pass my leading test now, bit@h?

Partner coylec

Jun 9, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #85 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how many climbing gyms do they have in palenstine? or, should i ask, how many climbing gyms do they have left in palenstine?

coylec

ps - spelled it wrong, don't care.

ipsofacto

Jun 9, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #86 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard

Jun 9, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #87 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

Great one

In reply to:
Meanwhile at a climbing gym somewhere...

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/bulldozer.jpg

Did I pass my leading test now, bit@h?

over_the_hill

Jun 9, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #88 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right, it was totally uncalled for. I made the mistake of making assumptions about a person who I don't know at all. For this, I am truly sorry. I will now refrain from making generalized comments about people I don't know, and refrain from using derogatory comments that may seem like passing judgement.

In the future, I suggest you do the same.

Nothing worse than pointing a finger at someone, only to have everyone else pointing right back at you. And, just so you know, I agree that the person should have PASSED you/ your friend. Simple communication skills would have solved this problem, not arrogance.

orangeandrew

Jun 9, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #89 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyms are a business and are able to exist because they continue to be insured. To get insured they have to follow a million rules, and if they get caught letting somebody get away with something, their rates go through the roof. Nobody here doubts you and your buddy are good climbers, just try explaining why it's okay to skip a clip to an insurance company. :)

slablizard

Jun 9, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #90 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, really appreciated. I will definitely do the same. And thanks also for all the english suggestion, I'll keep that in mind.

Now...where's my armoured bulldozer... :lol:

In reply to:
You are right, it was totally uncalled for. I made the mistake of making assumptions about a person who I don't know at all. For this, I am truly sorry. I will now refrain from making generalized comments about people I don't know, and refrain from using derogatory comments that may seem like passing judgement.

In the future, I suggest you do the same.

Nothing worse than pointing a finger at someone, only to have everyone else pointing right back at you. And, just so you know, I agree that the person should have PASSED you/ your friend. Simple communication skills would have solved this problem, not arrogance.

dingus

Jun 9, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #91 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1) Why is the PMS comment a bit offensive? Because crediting a woman's behaviour to PMS it is a way of invalidating a woman's thoughts or emotions or behaviors by implying that she was not really in control of herself due to some hormonal imbalance...see what I mean?

OK, I got it. I can understand if these comments were being used to imply that, which from my peanut gallery seat they were.

But to deny the connection of PMS and womens' moods, or to refrain from any talk, even humerous talk, even denigrating humerous talk about these moods, to make the entire subject taboo in non-clinical settings, just because some men and women will inevitably use it to invalidate some women's thoughts and emotions...

is, well, not acceptable.

Yes, I can see it could be offensive. It's not a term that comes into frequent (or even infrequent for that matter) use at my house.

So when a woman uses guy-speak to invalidate what I say I will certainly call her attention to it via a well placed PMS torpedo in the future (hmm, PMS torpedo, the visuals are not working for me on this one). Cause women do this to men ALL THE TIME (that's OTHER HEAD talking Dingus... guys, don't you hate it when women imply we aren't in control of our thoughts and emotions because of a temporary physical condition??? Aren't you just outraged?).

OK, I was poking fun, but it IS the SAME THING.

Tell me you've never set a guy in his place with such language devices, lol!

DMT

Partner holdplease2

Jun 9, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #92 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dingus:

Totally. Mood does follow "the cycle" for some women more than others.

I was just pointing out how it might be found offensive, especially under certain circumstances, but not that it was alwaysoffensive, wrong, or that there weren't male-equivalent comments that can be made.

I thought that further clarification on how some might respond to the PMS reference was called for...

BTW...when I decide to put a man in his place, I just look at him funny, thats all I need to do. Besides, opening my mouth just makes more trouble as I am pretty much a one-line-wonder then its all downhill from there.

:)

-Kate.

dingus

Jun 9, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #93 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was just pointing out how it might be found offensive, especially under certain circumstances,

Right on Kate. And I for one appreciate it, even though I dared the Devil's Questions.

A week or two ago someone asked if our behaviors where ever modified as a result of ethics dicussions. I pleaded guilty. This is yet another iteration. How does a clueless man thinking with his other head EVEN KNOW he's being offensive unless some cute little missy points it out???

I'm sorry, I simply cannot bring myself to use emoticons. It's a guy thing.

Seriously, I have to imagine more than one "Oh!, That's why so and so was pissed at me!" light bulb has been illuminated as a result. And mayhaps a reverse osmosis went down as well.

Cheers
DMT

slablizard

Jun 9, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #94 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "Universal gym rule"? What's that?
Lack of ATTENTION here JT, reread my first post. on that route, and on the other close by, there are bolts every 3 feet, should my partner had to clip them all?

Only the ones on the route ?

All he could reach?

What would you have done, clip the bolt at your stomach height or the belay station at your nose level?

My point is ( and was) that a more experienced climber would have said " ok good test, next time clip the last bolt too please"

Thank you.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

of William Shakespeare."

That would explain how this topic got started, since, surely, no one would intentionally start a thread complaining about a gym employee who failed someone on a lead test after he flagrantly violated a universal gym rule right in front of the examiner.

-Jay

nirvana

Jun 9, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #95 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoever it is who puts that "beating a dead horse" icon in messages, could ya put one in here, P L E A S E ?

The PMS discussion is interesting, but clearly slablizard is never going to get past the fact that his buddy failed this freakin test.

slablizard

Jun 9, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #96 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's because I have I mid-life crisis bro.

over_the_hill

Jun 9, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #97 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was pissed the other day. I've been lead climbing outdoor with my new partner for few months now, we were leading in the gym too even if he did not have a lead card, so the other day he decides to take the test.

Just re-reading your original post. In reading, I found this passage. It seems you and your partner have no regards for ANY of the rules in the first place. Clearly your friend/ you were already leading in this facility without clearance. :oops:

My only question is this: Are you pissed because you went to play by the rules and karma caught up with you, or are you mad that someone doesn't share your "flexibility" about gym rules? :wink: :lol:

OK, all sarcasm aside. It has become funny how this went from addressing problems with climbing gyms, to menstral cycles. I guess in the future "slablizard" will be more careful with the statement "what do you think?" Be careful what you ask for, for karma has a way of giving you EXACTLY what you ask for or deserve.

Gym climbers: know and follow the rules of your gyms, its for the good of all involved.
Gym employees: Get over yourselves! Everyone makes mistakes, and should be allowed a chance to prove good intentions.
This incident is proof positve of BOTH parties invlolved dropping the ball.

Good luck to those who are following this with their "ego's" involved.
Have fun with this thread! I know I have never laughed as much as I have with this subject. :lol:

iamthewallress

Jun 9, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #98 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My point is ( and was) that a more experienced climber would have said " ok good test, next time clip the last bolt too please"

It's got nothing to do with experience. There are folks who work at my gym who get asked for their autograph and there are those that have only been climbing for a couple of years. We all follow the same rules. The elderly climbers such as yourselves do not get a special set of rules because you've been at it a while...especially when the neophytes look to you to learn by example.

Your delicate ego is not worth me jeopardizing my job or the safety of others in the gym. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

over_the_hill

Jun 9, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #99 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your quote: What would you have done, clip the bolt at your stomach height or the belay station at your nose level?

Right on the money man! Regardless of what anyone else says, good customer service is KEY for all the gyms!

iamthewallress

Jun 9, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #100 of 149 (10145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Gym employees: Get over yourselves! Everyone makes mistakes, and should be allowed a chance to prove good intentions.

And everyone who doesn't seem to be a total hazard right off the deck gets that chance! All they have to do is take the test again.

I have never seen anyone giving the test be less than polite when explaining that the person did not meet the established criteria and will have to retest. It's the gym, for pity's sake. Who cares if you TR for a night and then fix your mistakes on the retest?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook