RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

climbingcowboy

Jun 11, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Finally did it!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I knocked off my first wall :shock: . Me and my brother were planning on doing WFLT or Prow but since he'd only been aiding about 6 times at a little 50' practisce area he decided he wasnt ready try those yet and wanted to do SFWC so we could work more on organzation and see actually how fast we'll climb. So we hiked up mid- week slept got up in the morning, hauled to Dinner ledge climbed to pitch 8, we decided ahead of time we didnt really want to do North dome gulley desent, so we rapped from here. Got to the bag around 4-5pm and decided to just rap off tonight and go have a beer, made it back down to the Pizza deck by around 8-9. Over all we climbed faster then we thought, we could of pulled it off in a day if we didnt have a haul bag and just went for it.

Now I know some of you are going to say thats not a real wall, or it doesnt count because we didn't top out, or it doesn't count because we didnt sleep on the wall. Well we pre planed to do up to 5 rap and the next day do up to 8 or top out rap and descend but we were moving so good it just felt right, and we didn't fell like sleeping on a rock ledge just to spend the night when we could make it down and have a cold beer, with are object being met.

I cant wait to get on another wall.

Side point man did the rangers suck when we were up there got a fine and every thing due to this little lying prick. Met one cool Ranger though in Hodgdon Meadow named Charlie F? older guy real cool.

timpanogos

Jun 11, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Re: Finally did it! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great job - get back out there!

more info on the fine?? what was that about?

iamthewallress

Jun 11, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now I know some of you are going to say thats not a real wall, or it doesnt count because we didn't top out, or it doesn't count because we didnt sleep on the wall.

I cant wait to get on another wall.

Screw anyone who says anything of that sort to you. You had a great time and pulled it off way faster than you thought you would. Good job!

I'm sorry that we didn't connect while you were there. :cry:

epic_ed

Jun 11, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on, bro!!

Well, there's one of us avenged for last years failure. Most people would agree that your plan was a good way to do the SFWC. And for those who don't...F'em. Sounds like you had a great time, and that's really what it's all about.

Ed

Partner holdplease2

Jun 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. Boy:

it seems a generally accepted thing to stop at 8 and rap. Therefore, it looks like you completed a generally accepted version of your chosen wall.

In this circumstances, there were 2 courses of behavior to choose between...top out as many do or rap from 8 as many do. You chose to rap.

So I cross the line and post the following thought...

If you hung at the bivy at 8 and said 'wee hoo' dude! we did it! You were done. If you hung at the bivy on 8 and said 'oh man, this is going to be a long night...and its gonna get dark soon...and i want some beer and pizza' maybe you did not finish the route. you could have fixed to 8 (in line with your pace), rapped to ledge, jugged and topped the next day.

How do you define completing this wall for you? Thats what matters.

Either way, you don't have to post what you were thinking.. I don't count my first wall as solo because, due to super-heavy traffic, I let the party ahead of me fix 1/2 of the (loooong) first pitch for me so i could get off the ground and let the party behind me get going, too. regret it now.

Its all a weird internal personal thing for each of us. and we all have different standards.

Don't let people push you to think you finished the route if you don't believe you did. Likewise, don't let people push you to think you didn't finish if you chose a generally accepted way to finish.

Best of all would be don't let other people push you to think anything one way or another, but thats almost impossible, especially when its your first wall.

Either way, congratulations on having a great time with your friend, moving nice and fast, and finishing the wall where I would have planned to stop before starting the wall...even if i bivied.

-Kate.

jowanky

Jun 11, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

north dome gulley can be scary. Definately have someone who has been on it before guide.

climbingcowboy

Jun 12, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, I'm even more addicted then before. I'm more then sastified with the results, I didnt care so much about topping out on this route it was just the fact of knowing I could. 8^)

Melissa I was bummed I didnt get to met you guys too, next time.

epic_ed

Jun 12, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from Aid Climbing to Trip Reports.

Partner holdplease2

Jun 12, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's most excellent to hear...Mr. "save a horse, ride a (climbing) cowboy." ;)

I hope we cross paths so that I can tell you all the crap epic_ed spewed about you last time I saw him.

:)

-Kate.

climbingcowboy

Jun 13, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh really???? ya I think we'll have to talk some Kate :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook