Forums: Climbing Partners: International:
Best place for poor climbers to stay in Krabi?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Jun 13, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Best place for poor climbers to stay in Krabi?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all - heading off for our honeymoon to Thailand next week. It will be the low season, and allegedly places to stay should be pretty darn cheap.

Anyone have good recommendations on places to stay for some poor climbers? All of the ritzy hotels have websites. All of the places in my 'rough guide' do not. Will it be hard for us to find accomodations without making reservations?

any help is appreciated! thanks!

rudi

Jun 13, 2004, 2:44 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best place for poor climbers to stay in Krabi? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't have a problem at all. Go to Ton Sai and head up the path into the jungle. There are some cheap bungalows a few hundred metres up from the beach... mind the mosquitos. I stayed at some bunglalows run by a family for around 200 baht/night. Not the cheapest in Thailand but pretty good for Krabi. Depends on what quality you are looking for. If you don't mind shared toilets, no electricity and rickety bamboo shacks then you will be fine. Don't stay in a hotel. Don't stay on Railay.

______
Rudi

rudi

Jun 13, 2004, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry.. it appears as though you weren't be so specific about Krabi. In general you will never need to make reservations in south east asia. Just shop around. And be prepared to do laps of areas lugging all your gear to find the best deals. I averaged about 150 baht/night in Thailand. 100 baht (about 5 AUS$ when I was there) is about as cheap as you will find. You can get away with never paying more than $300 baht. Kao San Rd is not the cheapest accommodation in Bangkok... walk around, head up some side streets, be adventurous!

____
Rudi

pancaketom

Jun 13, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in June a few years back and stayed on Tonsai. I think andaman nature resort, or maybe dream valley (I stayed at both, I can't remember which was in June). The one I was in for long term (aug-sept) and split a bungalow for 80 Baht a night (40 each), the other was short term (2 weeks in June) and I think I was paying about 100 or 120 b a night. They were building like mad while I was there, so I presume there are more spaces. In general you pay more for a private bathroom, more solid enclosure, and to be closer to the beach. A/C is a lot more, but depending on your heat/humidity tolerance may be worth it, especially if you can bargain a good deal. Expect it to be HOT. Find out what hours the generator is running every day, as I found that when the power went off at 2 in the morning, or whenever it was, the fan stopped and I woke up sweating to cast my sheet aside.

From what I have heard, I think the only advantage to being there in high season is better weather and possibly more food options, plus a "scene" (if you even want that).

I certainly never had a problem or heard of someone unable to find a place. possibly your first choice may be taken, but unless things have really changed, that shouldn't be a problem.
I found low season to have much more of a community feel that what it sounds like high season is like.
In any case, I hope this helps, and have a wonderful Time.

dawnyb

Jun 13, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went there 3 years ago, so this info may not apply anymore, but I'm sure the scene is similar. Everyone is right that the Tonsai area is cheapest. The Tonsai places are less private (no private bathrooms), but you meet lots of people. You may be cool w/ this or you may want more privacy since it's your honeymoon.

For a little bit more $ you can stay on the East side w/ your own bathroom at YaYa's. It's a 3-story apartment like bungalow building, a little more private than the jungle huts on Tonsai. Downside is that it can be loud, but it's centrally located to the crags and it's easy to get to when you get off the boat (if boating from Krabi, they take you to the East beach). Another option, if they have availability, would be CoCo's on the East side down the beach North from YaYa's. It has the BEST food, too.

Whatever you do, have one of you sit in a spot with the luggage (unless you are traveling VERY light w/ backpacks only) while the other one scouts, because it's a pain in the butt and it's shockingly hot when you get there (you'll get used to it though). Have fun, I'm jealous!!! - DB

raff

Jun 13, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey wonderwoman,

I dont usually respond to the plethora of "where to stay" or "will i find a partner" threads in here for thailand, but it is ur honeymoon after all. Ivce just come back to oz after bout 4 mths on ton sai so my info should be pretty current. I stayed in sai thong bungalows right at the top of the hill on the back path over to railay, now this does have its pros and cons......... pros.. cheap as foccacia (iwas paying 180 per nightr in high season) bout 3-4 degrees cooler at night (i didnt need to use a fan at all and even slept under a sheet occasionally) quiet and away from the crowds(though i doubt this will be a problem in low season)....now for the cons... a pain in the ass to walk back up there if you forget stuff, i found myself leavin in the morning and only going back to sleep (although the walk does tire you out ready for beddy byes)

If you do want to stay closer to the beach try any of the bungalow places down lower, you wont have a problem finding a good deal, the place pretty much becomes a ghost town in rainy season.

If you want any more details try emailing a mate of mine ayuu, he runs on the rocks climbing shop on the beach his web site is rockclimbingthailand.com you can find a link to his email in there, hell be able to give you the lowdown on stuff.

Anyway good luck ,climb hard, make babies and all the other good stuff that happens on honeymoons.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 14, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyway good luck ,climb hard, make babies and all the other good stuff that happens on honeymoons.

I don't know about the babies, but we will have lots of fun. How much more is it for A/C. I want to be able to sleep at night (not to mention get a little booo-tay!)

Josh

veep23

Jun 14, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got back from Railay a month ago... it was great. If it's yr honeymoon and u decide to splurge, East Railay will cost about fifteen bucks for a nice room w/ prvt bath (hot water) and A/C. Of course that seems like a lot when you can get a room elsewhere for under five. IMO everywhere is pretty close to the climbing. A fifteen minute walk is no big deal, right? How are u getting down there? If you go by train/bus, I'll give u some tips on not getting ripped off. Have fun.

caughtinside

Jun 14, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what your budget is exactly, but since it's your honeymoon you might be willing to spend a little more than the average dirtbag who's there for 3 months.

15 bucks should get you AC no problem.

30 bucks should get you a nice room with AC, a great bed and probably even a pool and breakfast.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend taking the ferry from Krabi to Koh Phi Phi. the ride is about 3 hours, and the island is stunning. There are no motor vehicles on the island, which I found very refreshing after weeks of inhaling two-stroke fumes. Plus, there is climbing there, enough to keep you busy for a few days.

Have a great trip. I wish I was going back to thailand soon.

epicsaga

Jul 30, 2004, 8:00 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut

skip ko phi phi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the town part is far too overdeveloped. if you could find hiking trails( i couldnt) at least you could get a nature experience. the climbing isnt as good as raillay and prices are double/triple.
check out this site for thai climbing ino : simonfoley.com
spend a few bucks on the accomadation and food, its a quarter the price of the first world.
krabi is only good for having custom clothes made.
www.jameswasser.com

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook