Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Closures in New Mexico...Other Southwest Areas Affected???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

moonshine505

Jun 18, 2004, 1:27 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Closures in New Mexico...Other Southwest Areas Affected???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Virtually all the climbing areas in New Mexico are now closed due to extreme fire danger...this includes the Enchanted Tower, Palomas Peak and the Sandias, El Rito (closes next thursday), Gilman Tunnels, The Crystal Cave, and others. There are only 2 sport climbing areas in New Mexico still open, but please respect the above closures.

Not knowing offhand, I'm wondering about other "nearby" areas like Durango's Golf Wall, The Pit in Flagstaff, Jack's Canyon in Winslow, AZ. Anyone know if these are similarly affected?

wpy71

Jun 18, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Re: Closures in New Mexico...Other Southwest Areas Affected? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As of this morning the Coconino National Forest, which includes Jack's canyon and the Pit is open for business, there are campfire and smoking restrictions in place though.

sarcat

Jun 18, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are the areas closed to climbers? Do they have a history of starting fires in those areas or any NM areas in general? They afraid of "biner spark" or rope burn? Are the areas closed to ALL use or just climbing?

killclimbz

Jun 18, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why are the areas closed to climbers? Do they have a history of starting fires in those areas or any NM areas in general? They afraid of "biner spark" or rope burn? Are the areas closed to ALL use or just climbing?

It would seem unfair, but these areas are closed to all users. Hikers, mt. bikers, etc. Not just climbers. I can understand, I was in New Mexico several years ago, during the year of the Dome fire. It was scary dry in the mountains. The tiniest spark could set off a major fire. I don't blame them at all for closing forest areas. It's been dry in Colorado and it always seems to be worse in New Mexico.

gds

Jun 18, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up in the Flagstaff area last week- Jacks Canyon and Paradise Forks, It is really dry in N AZ!!!! All the areas have campfire restrictions but as of then all were open.
Southern AZ is not quite as dry but still has fire restrictions almost everywhere.

Hope the monsoons come soon!

madmax

Jun 18, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Golf Wall is definitely still open, I don't think it will close due to fire danger. El Rito is closing next Thursday? I was thinking of going there this weekend; hopefully that happens.

okieterry

Jun 18, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, I was actuallu planning on going to the sandias next weekend. Does anyone know of an official site that tells about closures in New Mexico, when they are lifted, etc.?

moonshine505

Jun 18, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies...glad to hear some places arn't as much of a tinder box as New Mexico.

Hmmm, I've seen forest service e-mail, with this website tagged on the end of it, perhaps has more official info.

www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire

climbsomething

Jun 18, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty much everything in Northern Arizona is open. We've been doing relatively well for fires so far this summer (knock on wood :shock:). Hell, it's mid-June and nothing is aflame on Lemmon yet either! I'll be :)

jcinco

Jun 18, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As of this morning the Coconino National Forest, which includes Jack's canyon and the Pit is open for business, there are campfire and smoking restrictions in place though.

I thought Jacks was on BLM land. Does anyone know for sure who administers that land? The BLM doesn't seem to be as protective during fire closures. I'm planning on cruising through for a Sedona wedding, and was hoping to hit Jacks on July 8th or so.

rradjc

Jun 18, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack's Canyon is on Cocnino Nat'l Forest land. It is open, but as has been said before - no fires, no cigarettes, no welding, no off roading. You can drive on the dirt roads to access Jack's.

rradjc

Jun 18, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, Enchated Tower (Cibola Nat'l Forest land) is open for climbing. The restriction is for no open fires, etc. For closure information for NM, AZ and parts of west Tx go to http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire/
As it stands now the only places that are closed to ANY activity are Fossil Springs wilderness area, portions of the Tonto and Apache-Sitgreaves in AZ and parts of the Santa Fe forest (I think does include El Rito) and Capitan wilderness area in NM.

Again check that site as it keeps very current updates for all fire restrictions and closures and is very precise as to what areas are closed.

climbsomething

Jun 18, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jack's Canyon is on Cocnino Nat'l Forest land. It is open, but as has been said before - no fires, no cigarettes, no welding, no off roading. You can drive on the dirt roads to access Jack's.
No welding? DAMMIT!! *removes mask from pack*

Yeah, Jacks is on NF land, but I can see the confusion- Jacks doesn't tend to see the strongest enforcement of rules and regs relative to other NF areas. I have seen lots of rangers in Coronado Natl Forest (Mt. Lemmon in Tucson) over the years but never once seen any kind of official at Jacks. Jacks was also the last pocket of forest land to get closed during the nasty fires 2 summers ago, as I recall. So, the anything goes atmposhere might could confuse some people. But know that it IS on govt land, so like, don't burn it down and stuff.

crackaddict

Jun 18, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here we go again.

Here are a list of links to the forest in AZ to keep you updated on restrictions and closures.

Looks like there are some closures in Tonto, Sitgraves, and Coronado.

Apache Sitgraves
Coconino
Coronado
Kaibab
Prescott
Tonto
Southwest Wildland Fire Operations
AZ fire Info.

Be careful, and help others know how dry it is out there.

wlderdude

Jun 26, 2004, 3:56 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a lot of why they close down the mountains is to protect the people. Imagine how much more expensive a forest fire gets when you have to include large scale rescues! Our legal climate is not one that lends itself to government officals letting people stomp around where they might get burned. The lawyers likely have officals running scared.

I was about to go camping and hike San Mateo Peak, which the website said was open. I called and it was closed. Just about everything is closed, but I saw heavy grey clouds over the Sandias today. Perhaps they will be open soon.

By the way, I am looking for a climbing partner in Albuquerque. PM me if I can tag along on your next outing.

crackaddict

Jun 26, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think a lot of why they close down the mountains is to protect the people.

Maybe in NM thats what its about.

I know in AZ were trying to protect the forest from the people. Between the thousands of acres burned down every year and the Bark Beetle. We don't stand a chance in having any forest left. It will be sad to see what this state will look like in 5-10 years if this drought does'nt end soon. :cry:

If you ever want to see. Take a drive down Hwy 260 between Show Low and Heber. Or go check out Mt Lemmon.
Truely devistating. We really need to educate more people on enviromental impact and conservation.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook