RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

musicman

Jun 19, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

First Rescue! (sortof)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

haha, hopefully that subject got you to read this, i've always thought it would be awesome to be in Search and Rescue up in the mountain or Yosemite or something like that, Well, now to the story. Me and 3 of my friends were up climbing in American Fork Canyon, i'm not sure of the wall name, none of us has a guide book, its on the other side of the river and you walk through a campground, anyways, i was leading the 10b/c (i think) the one where you stem alot about half way up, it was a great climb, well, my friend jeremy wanted to climb the next one over, he had no idea what it was rated but just went for it, well, he made it up and had only one bolt left before the chains but he couldn't make the move and he was really mad about it, so after hanging for a while he decided to clip himself into the bolt with a draw and just hang out for a while and try to figure out how to get down yet keep his draws, (brand new Posiwires), well, then all of a sudden he yells at me right after i made a tough clip, "matt, get your butt over here and clip this last bolt for me then i'll throw up the rope to you" well, it was a good idea and all but i didn't want to waste any energy right before the crux section and wanted to get to the anchors first and just help him on the way down, well, he kept yelling at me cause he'd been there for a while now but i just said a few choice words at him and finally made the chains, then i was lowered down a bit and swung into this weird chimney-ish thing, well, i couldn't get comfortable in it to clip his bolt so i kinda did it behind my back, then he threw up the rope to me and as i tried to clip i relized i needed to get turned around the other way which was rather scary because if i fell i'd swing into this big piece of the cliff that i was stemming with which was now about 15 feet away, so i hurried and turned around and clipped his rope in and was just about ready to jump off when i relized that when i turned around i wrapped the rope around me, so then i had to climb a bit lower and go under the rope/draw and then just hope i didn't swing into the wall at a weird angle when i let go, well, after that i made it down alright, then he just kinda cheated his way up by pulling on the rope throught the crux section (i guess you could call it aiding!!) but then he made it down, we were both so worn out after that that we went home, so i know it wasn't like a real rescue or anything, but it was pretty cool and fun to do so don't dog on me about anything, maybe in a few more years i'll be doing search/rescue, who knows, well, thanks for reading if you finished it all!

ps, does anyone know the name of that wall? i really wanna now what the climb was rated he was on, thanks again!

{edited for spelling mistakes}

gymstud001

Jun 19, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Re: First Rescue! (sortof) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

um ok.... I've always wanted to be a mountain rescue worker too....

styndall

Jun 19, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the longest English sentence I've seen outside of Joyce.

musicman

Jun 19, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

yeah, i noticed that after i submitted, sorry

bighead

Jun 19, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell your friend to go buy a couple blanks before he climbs again.

musicman

Jun 20, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #6 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats exaclty what i told him to do

dirtineye

Jun 20, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's not a rescue, that's a near min-epic wannabe masquerading as something else.

maculated

Jun 20, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated moved this thread from General to Trip Reports.

sandbag

Jun 20, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Re: maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pulling on the pro/rope to climb is generally referred to 'french freeing', and you have a very moribund fascination with the whole SAR thing. Go do a few body retrievals and thatll sober you up a bit. Its good to want to help; just dont forget, it aint macrame and not all the rescues end in happy TV mini series endings.

Partner j_ung

Jun 20, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #10 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're SAR in a few years, I think you should come back and reread your post, then try to find all the things wrong with it. And I'm not talking about grammar.

brutusofwyde

Jun 21, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #11 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I think there is a sentence in "A Geological Interpretation of Yosemite" by Francis P. Fahrquar that is as long, or at least close...

In a single sentence we are taken, in imagination, from the western foothills through all of the climate zones of the Sierra Nevada to the very crest, whence we look eastward to "the Land of Little Rain."

A worthwhile read.

Brutus

PS, I think I scarfed a carabiner off of the second bolt on one of those two routes in American Fork one time. Don't remember the name though.

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 21, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Have you read Conrad? My AP english class counted a sentence of over 1300 words in Heart of Darkness. At least the movie "Apocalypse Now" was a hell of a lot better than the book.

cchildre

Jun 21, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not trying to criticize, but in my book for it to qualify as a rescue it must have at least one broken bone, non responsive victim, or head contusion. Having participated in two let me say that it was not fun. Very interesting and pressed my limits but when you see a girl laying on the ground after she has just had her femur crushed by a boulder, a harrowing experience. Not something I would like to repeat. Anyone need a climbing parther? LOL!

dingus

Jun 21, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I passed out before I got to the end...

DMT

granitegod

Jun 24, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, if I were you I'd drive straight to Yosemite and tell S&R you're available.

sarcat

Jun 24, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It scares me that I'm on SAR in the same county he lives in.

stirfry

Jun 24, 2004, 9:59 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have obviously never read Nietzsche. Maybe its the translations but some of his stuff is a paragraph long.

Partner oldsalt

Jun 24, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Have you read Conrad? My AP english class counted a sentence of over 1300 words in Heart of Darkness. At least the movie "Apocalypse Now" was a hell of a lot better than the book.
I "read" the audio version of "Heart of Darkness" and really enjoyed it. It was much easier to listen to than read - and I'm not referring to translating letters into thoughts. Conrad wrote to be listened to; he is a storyteller.

The horror. The horror.

Partner climbinginchico

Jun 25, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #19 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I "read" the audio version of "Heart of Darkness" and really enjoyed it. It was much easier to listen to than read - and I'm not referring to translating letters into thoughts. Conrad wrote to be listened to; he is a storyteller.

The horror. The horror.

Heart of Darkness was an awesome book, just it got dry at times. Those run on sentences got insane sometimes. Plus, the fact that it was required reading always removes some fun from an otherwise excellent book. And I totally agree with you the he was a storyteller- thats's one hell of a story.

nailzz

Jun 25, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #20 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow!! i dont know wut all the fussis about that wuz the kewlest thing ive read in 4evah!

u are ubah leet sport climbing god and im sure yull get into serch n rescew np ata ll man!!

u were very brave person to help ur freind when he needed u. i hope i dont eve r need search and rescuew but if i do ill feel better if you come to drag me off teh clif.

edit; wut does SAR mean newayz?

telemarkist

Jun 25, 2004, 6:47 AM
Post #21 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cchildre has a good point, I'm not a SAR guy but have been involved in 3 rescues. a friends, a strangers and my own, I can't say that any of them were fun, certainly not awesome, mine had some amusing moments but the pain took all the fun out of it. insert yourself in this pic, the ambulence pulls away, you stand in a small group at a trailhead, non climbers looking on in horror, you look your partner over, he looks badly shaken covered in blood to the elbows. " lets get out of here and go down to daves house to wash off, I don't want to climb anymore today". i wish I could scrub my memory of that whole day. a have a ton of respect for the folks who come running when things get grim, I doubt there are to many of them who do it for the fun.

oh and your buddy was batmaning. duh na-na na- na na-BATMAN!

iltripp

Jun 25, 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Correction... that was actually 2 sentences, the first part and then this:

In reply to:
ps, does anyone know the name of that wall? i really wanna now what the climb was rated he was on, thanks again!

Reading all of that, I don't know if I should call him an idiot for writing all of that in one sentence, or applaud his literary brilliance. Seriously, I couldn't write a run-on like that if I wanted to. Surely we have a true literary genius among us here at rockclimbing.com

socalclimber

Jun 25, 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I do work SAR and it is fun, but it's not a picnic either. When you have somebody stuck on a ledge, with an open fracture screaming and yelling it gets your attention. Or, better yet, when you have to come into Incident Command at 3:00am in the morning and tell the parents of the 2 kids who are lost that you are suspending the search until the next morning. The expression on their faces is enough keep you up the rest of the night.

This story definately does not qualify as an Incident, more like a couple of new climbers who didn't know how to get themselves out of a situation safely and got lucky.

See if you find some experienced climbers to hang out with and "learn the ropes" so to speak.

Glad your safe.
Robert

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook