RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

boulderroper

Jun 22, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Advice: The Gunks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This summer i am planning a trip to the Gunks. I have looked just about every where for specific directions to the Mohonk Reserve ,but cant seem to find any. Also any betta for The Buddah would be great. Thanks.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Jun 22, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: Advice: The Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/directions.php

clymber

Jun 22, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buddah goes about V6 if you look ay newengland bouldering.com sure there will be something in that. also go into town and hit up Rock and Snow any info you need someone in there will be able to help you or you can ust walk down the carrage road and you will see then your share of boulderers and anyone of them will let you in the mix with them

leaverbiner

Jun 22, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want move by move beta for the Buddah, send me a PM, I wouldn't want to ruin it for unsuspecting climbers (not that most people haven't seen it done on video or won't see it within 15 minutes of being there)

As for getting to the trapps and Near Traps . . . follow the main road through the town of New Paltz cross over a steel bridge and continue for a couple miles until the road deadends at a T intersection. Take a right and follow this road around sharp curve and up the steep hill, once you cross under a steel bridge go a couple hundred yards to the main parking lot on the right. If this lot is full (likely at busy times), backtrack to just below the sharp curve and take a left into a multi tiered lot, exit the rear of the lot and follow the STAIRMASTER to the carriage road.

ben87

Jun 22, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enjoy. what a beautiful place to climb.

Partner rgold

Jun 22, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Between the almost constant stream of pilgrims at the Buddha itself and those willing to weigh in from remote locations, the real problem with the Buddha is not getting beta if you don't want it.

And I recommend this. The Buddha, more than anything, represents a triumph, a breakthrough, of vision. Ivan Greene saw a boulder problem where everyone else saw blank rock. Figuring out what to do is the problem. Sure you can do it after someone else tells you exactly what to do, but try instead to commune with the master and figure it out yourself.

The chalk is already a partial give-away, and you've probably already seen pictures that reveal the main idea, but even a tainted no-beta ascent is a different experience from just "painting by the numbers."

You'll have to go during the week, and still may have to walk away when the hoardes arrive, typically in the late afternoon after work.

andy_reagan

Jun 22, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
commune with the master and figure it out yourself

excellent advice. IMO this is what bouldering is all about. Leave the beta spewing horde behind and really enjoy the problem.

leaverbiner

Jun 25, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very good advice Mr. Goldstone . . and part of the reason why I didn't want to post beta . . . to leave that option open to those who would prefer such an experience.

I think all its popularity aside, and forgetting the hordes of people, the Buddah is a wonderful problem. So different from almost anythign else I have ever climbed and demands different strengths than most boulder problems. It took me a while to send, because even with everyone else's beat, it turned out I had to figure out my own slightly different way. Subtle differences, but nonetheless a personal experience.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook