Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
St George, Utah
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

buttets

Jun 24, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

St George, Utah  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Red_Slab)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A group of us are heading for St George, Utah for the 4th??? Yeah, I know how hot it will be, but my friends are insistent about going...

Can you give me some beta on good places to climb this time of year, both in the Morning and the Evening. Doesn't really matter if it is sport or trad or what grade as long as there is good variety.

We are also thinking about doing a slot canyon or two and would like to know which ones we should not miss. Also, what ropes we should bring...

thanks in advanced for any info you can impart and if you want to hook up with us pm me.

Thanks again, Dwight

nirvana

Jun 24, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Re: St George, Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kolob Canyon (in routes listings: Zion/Kolob Canyon)

Great huecos, beautiful canyon, and cool. When we were there less than a month ago, there was even a little snow there.

brianinslc

Jun 24, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A group of us are heading for St George, Utah for the 4th??? Yeah, I know how hot it will be, but my friends are insistent about going...

Can you give me some beta on good places to climb this time of year, both in the Morning and the Evening. Doesn't really matter if it is sport or trad or what grade as long as there is good variety.

We are also thinking about doing a slot canyon or two and would like to know which ones we should not miss. Also, what ropes we should bring...

thanks in advanced for any info you can impart and if you want to hook up with us pm me. Dwight

Yo, homeboy! We'll probably pass you on I-15 as we head to Steve's in Dillon...

Veyo can be pretty cool, shade, next to the creek. Pay to climb but you can climb a bunch in very short order. Probably the coolest spot to climb near St. George.

Some stuff up high out of Cedar City. Try the Mountain Shop for beta. Say hi to Ben for me.

Will be way too hot down there...will break a hundred for at least 5 or 6 days in a row right now, hotter probably over the 4th...way too hot for this Montana boy...

Slots in Zion(s) works. Fun fun fun. Depends on how much cold water you want to suffer through and whether or not you want to carry wet or dry suits with you. For now, sans suits, try Pine Creek, Mystery, Spry and/or Behunin (can be warmish though). Keyhole is super fun and very short: combo up with Pine Creek. Fat Man's Misery is good too. Englestead. Most canyons require two ropes, but, you can do Pine with one 60m (Keyhole with about 60 feet). Englestead requires at least 2 60m ropes, but, somefolks use 300' plus a 300' of pull cord. Etc etc etc.

Beta via Kelsey guide, Shane's guide (at www.climb-utah.com) or online at Tom's site: www.canyoneeringusa.com.

We'll have to hook up sometime...be fun to run into you all again...

Brian in SLC

jefferson

Jun 24, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only spent a couple of days Sport climbing in St. George...and it was in April, but Kelly's Wall(Crag?) was in the shade and quite cold when I was there so maybe just right this time of year. There is also a private crag called Crawdad Canyon which has routes on either side of the canyon and has lots of tree cover so I would think you would have shade all day. Have fun...I was amazed at how much is there!

Partner missedyno

Jun 25, 2004, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

linked to utah - moving to Regional Discussions...

Partner missedyno

Jun 25, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

solitudeclimber

Jun 25, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Kolob (half way between St.George and Cedar) and do Namaste, take two 60m ropes, as it is a full rope length. This is one of the best routes around, and the wall is in a tight canyon so the temps should be ok. Be ready for a pump.

Go to Prophecy Wall outside of St.George. This wall has several multi pitch routes on conglomerate sandstone. The wall gets sun all day and night. I would head out in the dark at climb till the sun broke over the edge.

Several other small areas around the area, too many to list. Crawdad Canyon charges money and the routes are short, therefore not worth it.

If you have time go to Maple Canyon - as the little extra driving is well worth it. It's outside of Nephi half way between Cedar and SLC, probably take you 2 –3 hrs from St. George. Take everything with you that you'll need as there are no amenities up the canyon other then "newer" shi$$ers.

And to complete the trip, I'd hit American Fork in SLC - but I'm bias to A.F.. At the very least make it to Maple, I guarantee it will leave an everlasting impression and the yearning to return.

rock_diva

Jun 25, 2004, 5:34 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My suggestion would be Krawdad Canyon (mentioned above - Veyo); I've climbed there in the summer and it's not bad if you stay in the shade. Routes have plaques at the bottom giving the name and rating of each climb. I think it costs $4 per person to get in. If it gets to hot, take a dive in the swimming pool; I think they also have sand volleyball, camping, picnic areas, etc.

For bouldering early morning or late evening you can check out pioneer park (by the painted "DIXIE" sign up on the north side of town). I've bouldered there summer mornings, but then the heat doesn't bother me too much...

... then again, I live in Phoenix - St. George is cool in comparison!

tradmanclimbs

Jun 25, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we walked through crawdad caynon on our trip this spring. we thought it would be pretty cool if you lived there. An awsome outdoor gym to hit up after work but it was not what we were looking for in a roadtrip. It would have excelent swimming though. snow caynon looks like it has good swimming as well as good climbing. We ended up at phrofecy wall and had a blast but that was april. Watch out for the mojave green rattelers.

rc86

Feb 2, 2006, 8:48 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just up the Highway about 5 minutes from St.George there is a crag called Black Rock. It's a lava rock cayon with climbs from 5.8 to 5.12. The crag runs North to South so as long as its not mid day it should be ok(in the morning better get out early cuz that rock gets hot by 10 am).

Another crag which is closer than that is Chuckawalla has a nice varity of climbs all sandstone. Its about 2 minutes North of St.George(best to climb in morning.)

There is another crag in St.George called Greenvally Gap. It has a nice varity of climbs but sun can be on the wall all day.

Hope you have fun, maybe i'll see ya out there

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook