First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

kansasclimber

Jan 7, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #51 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chris Sharma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This site is great!!! Its the only one I know of that you can become friends with someone you got pissd off at, just a couple seconds ago, With out even talking to them!

Stephen

muncher

Jan 7, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #52 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, I'll contribute positively now.

Reading Sharma's journal was leaps and bounds better than reading Beth Rodden's journal about her pre-wedding jitters.

Yeah but both were better than reading Dave Graham and friends. Fu#$ some of those guys came across as complete wankers. Maybe they are different in person but writing things like oohh poor me I'm on a climbing trip in europe climbing all these sick routes but none of it has been recorded on film yet so I'm going to throw a tantrum doesn't do them any favours.

hawgdrver

Jan 7, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #53 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deleted

baza_arrampicare

Jan 7, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #54 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with petro. Climb for yourself. Does it really matter who sends what first and when and how? I climb because i love to be outside. It is my life. And i really could care less about celebrity climbers. They probably feel much the same way about climbing that i do, and some of them are probably annoyed by the special attention given to them. there's something to think about...

petro

Jan 7, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #55 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Climb for yourself. Sharma doesn't care what YOU send, no matter how much prana regalia you adorn yourself with.

Climbing is not a spectator sport unless you are a touron with a huge beer gut wondering how he heck they got the rope up there.

I heard that North Face is starting to make Sharma Jerseys, and they are building stadium seating with the proceeds at the base of El Cap. I heard that they are making a new national holiday. It's called "Pro" climber leg humping day. It's going to replace groundhog day in 2005.

Didn't your mommy ever teach you how not to be a follower?

I guess ripping off a pro climber's name to use as your screen name doesn't qualify as leg humping.

It would be funnier if you'd been climbing long enough to know who Steve Petro is, but somehow it's more satisfying this way. Follower.

O, the irony.

Did you check my last name? Petro has been a nickname since I was a kid.

Did I somehow piss you off there hawg? You really dug deep. Come on out with it man, was it the "materialistic chump" part? Or is it that you have all this pent up anger under your suit and tie that you have to wear all week, only to trailer your "hawg" to the rally so you can wear your leather and act tough.

It's just RC.com man, flame on!!!

By the way, thanks all ya'll for checking my profile so close. If you would have looked closer, you would have seen that I joined in 2002, so the whole 2003 BS is a typo. I edited the profile to show my 'experiences' a little more accurately in hopes of somehow just maybe earning your respect. You see, since you are all such experienced and wise climbers yourselves, I want to hump your legs too!! I just can't deal with your disapproval. :twisted:

hawgdrver

Jan 8, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #56 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deleted

climbingjunky

Jan 8, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #57 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sharms is a kewl guy. He motivates people, he's awesome to watch and he gives back a lot to the climbing community. Don't squeeze the Sharma :)

badass

Jan 9, 2004, 4:36 AM
Post #58 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met a guy at the Red who had an acid burn on his face. We all admired him and he climbed hard.

bighigaz

Jan 9, 2004, 5:16 AM
Post #59 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Prana gear...
Yoga is not as relaxing as it looks...
I buy climbing videos...
Climbing is not as relaxing as Sharma makes it look...

Lots of people like Prana gear...
Yoga relaxes some people, so they do it...
Lots of people buy climbing videos...
Climbing motivates me, so I do it...

Sharma likes Prana gear...
Yoga is more relaxing when you're sponsored...
Sharma probably doesn't have time to watch climbing videos...
Climbing, sponsored or not, motivates Sharma, so he does it...

Do you like Prana gear?...
Yoga is not for everybody, but it works...
Do you buy climbing videos?...
Climbing would probably still motivate you if you were sponsored...

Point:
ummm... I forgot... I think I'll go climbing now...

kansasclimber

Mar 23, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #60 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cant believe how long he has been a frigin' advertising icon, close to like 10 years is what i heard! Crazy

Stephen

dlux127

Mar 23, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #61 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He's using a Gri Gri. Not that big of a deal. If it was an ATC, then yea.

ajoys

Mar 23, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #62 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least he is even touching the rope with his brake hand. The majority of people I see belaying with a gri gri don't even bother with the brake hand (unless top roping) until it is time to lower. I watched a guy yesterday keep his brake hand on the gri gri while his other hand yarded out the slack for the whole climb.

vincent

Mar 23, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #63 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i want to have chris sharma's baby

litleclimberchick

Mar 23, 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #64 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not another sharma thread...when will these stop...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

mcumbrae

Mar 23, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #65 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If this guy Sharma is half as good in climbing as he is in making people fight over him, he must kick ass...

realization_83

May 11, 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #66 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you think sharma actually has any control over how much magazines and the media portray him and the amount in which they do it, hey even if you are a celebrity and refuse any media contact you still got the damn paparazzi

barefeetnochalk

Jun 27, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #67 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha, i refer to my biceps as my sharmas these days as they tend to resemble sharmas averaged size arms.

also: forearms are nicoles (fred) and shoulders are smiths (malcom)

kapesh?

Sharma's the man, no 2 ways about it but it dont mean imma go masturbate over him or whinge like a sissy coz he keeps gettin in magizines.

imma just go, that dudes an awsome climber and thats about it.

This forum is so serious it really makes me cringe sometimes. Climbers are climbers, and round here we're all climbers.

cabouldering

Jun 27, 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #68 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sharma is in Railay Beach - Thailand

http://www.8a.nu/site2/

CABouldering

flipnfall

Jun 27, 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #69 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do Lynn Hill and Ron Caulk still get so much attention too? I think it's because we like them! They are approachable people and we admire that. Most climbers aren't like that.

GT

builderhigh

Jun 27, 2004, 1:12 PM
Post #70 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my cats breath smells like cat food

...how did this pointless thread turn into 5 pages

:roll:

climb_plastic

Jun 27, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #71 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread went 5 pages because it's about Sharma. That's why he gets promoted so much. Even his haters talk about him....in fact more haters than "followers" have posted here. I don't think he ever claimed to be the best and you don't have to be the best to get sponsorships...it's like that tennis player chick (you know which one) that doesn't even play well but is all over TV...except that Sharma does back it up and really is one of the best. Do you really want to look at pictures and advertisements with a bunch of average climbing and average looking people? If you were in charge of advertising at five-ten wouldn't you want to sign up Sharma?

Partner iclimbtoo

Jun 27, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #72 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who's this Chris Sharma?

Now I have heard of Dean Potter, Steph Davis, Beth Rodden, Lynn Hill, Peter Croft, Tommy Caldwell and others. Why? Trad.

dawnyb

Jun 27, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #73 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think he ever claimed to be the best and you don't have to be the best to get sponsorships...it's like that tennis player chick (you know which one) that doesn't even play well but is all over TV...

This makes another point about what we like to see in advertising, etc. Maybe this has been brought up before, I don't know. Notice that in magazines and ads mostly geared towards men (including Climbing and R&I) you see a lot of women, but you don't see men in women's magazines. Why? Because men like to look at women and women like to look at women. Women who are not necessarily the best climbers are sponsored and plastered all over climbing ads because they have a look or an image that sells. Same applies for Sharma. That's the society we live in.

dynoguy

Jun 27, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #74 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Chris Sharma is a really gifted guy who just happens to be able to make a living doing what he wants. Sure, there might be others just as good, but he is able to sell his image better. If pro athletes didn't sell then would be no pro athletes.

And...

With no "pro" climbers, none of us would know what was "cool". And we would be forced to climb for our own reasons. And then all the plastic gyms would be empty, and then they would all close. And then all the kids wouldn't have anywhere "safe" to climb. Basically, the whole world would go to hell, and all that would be left is cockroaches.

We're climbers... We don't need role models.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't learn and respect the accomplishments of others, especially those that are pushing the limits of the possible on rock, ice, whatever... I am just saying that all the hero worship leg humping B.S. is just that. Sharma is just a regular dude. He climbs rocks. Just like you, and just like me. Be your own hero.

Because that's what sells. And that's the whole idea behind printing a magazine.

jcr

Jun 27, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #75 of 103 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HA HA HA,

If he saw this thread he would most probably laugh his face off, I mean COME ON, you guys are here arguing about how much attention sharma gets when he probably doesnt even CARE. Besides the poeple giving him the attention you guys are saying he shouldnt get are YOU guys by making responds to these kinds of threads. Just look at the many responds this thread has gotten just by using his name as a title. hahaha.

JC

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook