RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

panda

Jun 28, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1001 views)
Shortcut

middle teton
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I've been here 3 weeks and I finally made it up to the tetons. I went up to Garnett canyon Friday afternonon and climbed the middle teton Saturday morning. It was the first time I had done a mixed rock and snow/ice climb. I think I like dry rock climbing better! It was a cool experience though, and so pretty. We did the south summit of the mountain, although we had planned on doing the North. Actually, we didn't realize there were two until we got to the one and my Dad said "we're on a false summit." We tried to find a way to rap off into the gully between the two peaks, but we had a short rope, so we didn't dare try it, so we retreated the way we came. It was pretty scary going back down that soft steep snow. Everything held though, and we only saw one avalanche when I kicked off just a little bit of snow and the slide just got bigger and bigger, it was pretty to see the snow move like a waterfall, bouncing off cliffs and cascading down the mountain. It was beautiful, but it made us realize how fast we could die sliding down that same track.
Does anyone know anything about a route between the north and south summits of the middle teton?

We were on the Glacier route

alpinerockfiend

Jun 29, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Re: middle teton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Which route were you on? I'm guessing the SW Coulior- from there the path from the "south" to the "north" summit should be obvious. It's also throughly described in Jackson's A Climber's Guide to the Teton Range.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook