RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

veganclimbr

Jul 3, 2004, 3:31 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1133 views)
Shortcut

DL info needed!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

I’m going to be brining some friends up to the lake in a few days and have a few questions on my mind. Where is the best place to camp in close proximity to climbing? I’m an ok climber and will be setting the climbs but my friends aren’t as experienced. I have only been to the lake three times and all to the East Rampart with my school. Brintons, Upper D, Boy Scout, Evanston Township etc. Is this a super busy area or would be ok setting up a rope or two? What other areas should we look into, as besides the east rampart I’m a DL virgin :P Lastly how much webbing should I be bringing? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get things in order and prepare a fun worry free trip for my friends.

organic

Jul 3, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1133 views)
Shortcut

Re: DL info needed! [In reply to]
Report this Post

scroll down the midwest forum about half a page and you will see two maybe three topics with answers.

brianthew

Jul 3, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1133 views)
Shortcut

Re: DL info needed! [In reply to]
Report this Post

In reply to:
Where is the best place to camp in close proximity to climbing?

Getting good camping in Devil's Lake, especially on short notice, can be hard. It's a very popular place to be in the summer in WI.

I suggest camping at Mirror Lake State Park. It's just a short drive up the highway to Devil's Lake, and is less crowded and has a less arcane system for getting campsites.

In reply to:
What other areas should we look into

Old Sandstone area. Friction (or at least more than you'll find elsewhere) + cool routes + zero crowds. PM me for beta on how to get there, or search the older threads.

In reply to:
Lastly how much webbing should I be bringing?

Bring lots. You'll want to have a bunch of loops in lengths of 5, 10, and 20 feet (again, looped, so 10, 20, and 40 feet unlooped) for tree anchors. Bring some tarps to set on between the sling and the tree (we must be kind to our tree friends), and some for the rope as it goes over edges (we must be kind to our rope friends, too).

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook