RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

danhickstein

Jul 14, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Auckland Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just arrived in Auckland on Monday and will be studying at the University until mid-November. Is there anyone here who wants a climbing partner? I like most every kind of climbing: I lead trad up to 5.10, sport up to 5.11, like to go bouldering, and I would love to do some mountaineering (although I haven't done much). Heck, if anyone is going hiking or sailing let me come along as well!

Cheers,
Dan

PS: Any recommendations for awesome North Island climbs that I "have to do"?

ashmoo

Jul 14, 2004, 4:31 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Re: Auckland Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to the Extreme Edge indoor climbing gym and ask the people behind the counter, they can fix you up with someone (or take you if you talk to Ken).
It is at:
40 Morrin Road, Panmure, (South East) Auckland.

Ph (09)574-5677 or Fax (09)574-5678.

www.extremeedge.co.nz

Froggat's Edge is a great place to climb about 1.5 hours south of Auckland.

pawilkes

Jul 14, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i lived in Auckland about five years ago and actually started climbing there. The climbing scene down there is really friendly, just find a gym (as mentioned Extreme Edge [although kinda far from campus], Rocknasium [my old gym, closer to downtown although getting a bit old from what i hear] or Berkenhead [farther away, Northshore, but nice steep wall]) and try to hook up with people. find out when the regulars come in and boulder around, i'm sure conversation will start pretty rapidly. the only outside climbing that i know of in town is the Mt Eden Quarry. its right behind the mt Eden prison (who used to quarry it) and on the grounds of Auckland Boys Grammer School (thats where i went to school). anyhow, it is pretty close to U of Auckland campus and has some pretty decent climbing for as close as it is. there is tons of great climbing in NZ, definately check out Froggat if you get the chance, more sport climbs than you could shake a stick, two sticks probably. my advice, get out of Auckland as much as you can and experience the real New Zealand. Get out to the coromandal pennisula and hike around, spend spring break in the south island, do some skiing, sail if you get the chance. NZ is such a great place, i love it. best luck to you

stretchkiwi

Jul 14, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dan. I'm an Auckland climber. Extreme Edge is definetely the best place to meet people with similar ability. Good lead wall. I also run a bouldering wall that you can join for $10NZ a week (give you key for 24hr access).

Froggatt Edge and other crags in the central Waikato are the best closest climbing. Nearby is Whanganui Bay which is excellent. Basically head south for Wharepapa and you'll be fine.

Useful weblinks - www.mojozone.co.nz and www.climb.co.nz for crag location info.

send us an email on d.newstead@auckland.ac.nz if you want more info.

oafboy

Jul 14, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dan, I'm from the UK, but I'm in Hamilton for the next two weeks, and would love to meet up to go climbing at some point. I climb about 5.10 too (French 6a). I only brought indoor gear with me from home, and I don't have a car here, but if you do then Hamilton's on your way to Wharepapa anyway :-) During the week is better for me as I tend to be away at weekends. My e-mail address is 0105831 at student dot gla dot ac dot uk, give me a shout if you're interested.

Pete.

skinnyjim

Jul 14, 2004, 9:13 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say you should go to the south island and climb at Castle Hill for some world class bouldering. Just my opinion.

danhickstein

Jul 17, 2004, 8:33 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info. I got down to the Mt. Eden Quarry and did some bouldering. There's some cool rocks there!
Pete: I'm starting school on Monday, but if want to climb this weekend, I would be interested as I have a car now. Jen: I'd love to climb a little sport in August. When do you arrive?
-dan

oafboy

Jul 23, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan: sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I'd love to climb this weekend, today (if you check this in time) or tomorrow - give me a phone asap on 07 838 2680.

Cheers,
Pete.

foppuk

Aug 18, 2004, 9:13 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi I'm frauke a 19 jear old girl from germany, staying here in nz for one year.
Staying in Auckland I want to climb.
Searching for any climbing contact because don't know anyone at the moment- hope it will change!

I'm climb up to the grading 6c-7a (frensh greading).
Would be nice to here from you!

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook