Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

unclesomebody

Jul 15, 2004, 8:04 AM
Post #1 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Coming from England to South CA.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm coming for a few months on sep. 1st and will be arriving into LAX then staying in Upland for a week. I just want to get the beta for getting around really. I want to spend 4 weeks in Bishop and atleast 4 weeks in Hueco. What's the deal with public transport? Will I be able to get to Bishop easily? How local is Bishop to Upland area... like do climbers go for the weekend or whatever, so will i be able to bum a lift from someone? advice/info is much appreciated.

also looking for people to boulder with if you're interested in showing a climber from sheffield around...

ikefromla

Jul 15, 2004, 8:22 AM
Post #2 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Re: Coming from England to South CA. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd be psyched to give you a ride to bishop and climb and shiz.. too bad i'll have relocated by then. Bishop is about 5 hours maybe from upland WITHOUT traffic.. which is never. so you're looking at a bit of a trek.. Hueco? good luck. I'd say rent a car bro.

unclesomebody

Jul 15, 2004, 8:26 AM
Post #3 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking of flying to hueco... there's an airport in el paso i believe, but I haven't looked into this so it might be impossible. As for renting a car, this costs $$$ which i don't have. Hopefully something will work out... THanks for the offer anyway.

Peace.

kindredhawk

Jul 16, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #4 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out tahquitz and suicide rock for sure in idyllwild it is really close by if you're stayin in upland and if you go to bishop check out owens river gorge. great sport routes there. send me a pm when you get here maybe i'll be able to make a trip out there to tahquitz or bishop if i can. as for hueco i live close to sd and its a 12 hour drive ehhh and 6 to bishop. any who best of luck mate. :lol:

unclesomebody

Jul 21, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #5 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so how come no-one else is interested. I promise i am not a weirdo! I just want some people to show me the best problems around (up to v11 ish) and to chill out with. I'm easy to get along with, don't have any issues, and am psyched to climb. There's gotta be some people in the area who are psyched and wouldn't mind me joining in the fun!

cedk

Jul 21, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #6 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy to get along with. Psyched to climb. That's all well and good but what you really need if you want people to take you climbing, are boobs.

Boobs or not, I can't take you climbing because I'm not in California but I was going to suggest that I think Amtrak might have a train that runs from LA to Texas and goes through ElPaso, which might be a nice way to see some of the countryside.

blouderk2

Jul 22, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #7 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a good indoor gym in upland called hangar 18. We could meet up there and climb sometime. Willing to go outdoors also just give me a pm peace.

esoteric1

Jul 22, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #8 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amtrack is the most expensive way to travel. i would show you around but, ive got no ride myself.
peace

jerrygarcia

Jul 22, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #9 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
some stuff and other things!

Since your in CA and hueco is in texas?(im not a boulderer) Why not hit Joshua Tree and Bishop. Rent a car from LAX, you wont need anything but the smallest/cheapest compact if your going SOLO. Joshua tree you will meet people at Hidden valley campground and have no problem making friends. In bishop, camp at "the pit" to meet the bums.
This is all info coming from a trad climber but I have been to both areas. Purchase whatever the best bouldering guide is for bishop and joshua tree from amazon.com so that you will be able to find the goods. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

[edit] You can go to yahoomaps.com and look up all these areas and compare distances.[/edit]

pbjosh

Jul 22, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #10 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So far the advice is retarded. The guide for Bishop can be purchased in Bishop, not online. The guide to Hueco is basically NOT available at all in El Paso, so if you want it get it ahead of time, however there will be a lot of people with the guide so if you want to get by without, it won't be too hard.

Someone coming to the US and wanting to boulder would be an idiot to go to Jtree instead of Hueco. Sheesh people.

Public transportation is hard to sort out and basically not available for your destinations. It shouldn't be impossible to find a ride from LA to Bishop, but you'll have to keep looking / trying. Might try boldering.com as well but it'll be more fruitful if you wait until the timing is closer to a week or two. In Bishop, as someone else said, The Pit is where to meet people, as well as Wilson's, The Kava, and in general all over town and at the boulders. Small town.

Getting to Hueco will be hard, you'll have to get from Bishop to an airport (LA is easier to catch a ride to from Bishop, but Reno is closer) and then to El Paso. It's unlikely the train would be cheaper than flying, and it'll take 2 days as opposed to 2.5 hours. If you call the Rock Ranch (www.huecorockranch.com) it should be possible to beg/pay for someone to pick you up. Once you're at the ranch, you won't need a car too badly. There's also the possibility that you'll luck into someone in Bishop who'll be headed to Hueco, particularly if you're flexible on timing.

It will likely be quite hot still in Bishop on Sept 1. By Oct 1 you should have good temps in Bishop or Hueco, but in Sept you'll be morning/evening and chasing shade. It won't have snowed at all yet in the mountains, though, and you can check out Tuolomne's excellent bouldering, 2 hours from Bishop, to escape the heat.

Good luck finding rides. Once you're in Bishop or at The Hueco Rock Ranch, you'll be fine. Getting between them without a friend or your own car will be hard. Try to find some friends ;)

haveaniceday

Jul 22, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #11 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jerrygarcia

Jul 22, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #12 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Someone coming to the US and wanting to boulder would be an idiot to go to Jtree instead of Hueco. Sheesh people.

If you only had a week in the states AND you had to be near LAX for some reason wich would probably take up some time, why the hell would you fly to hueco? That flight plus flying to/from england would be murder. Dont go saying my advice is "retarded", I think this guy just thinks lax,hueco and bishop are all 10ft away from eachother. look at his original post a little closer.

pbjosh

Jul 22, 2004, 6:50 AM
Post #13 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If you only had a week in the states AND you had to be near LAX for some reason wich would probably take up some time, why the hell would you fly to hueco? That flight plus flying to/from england would be murder. Dont go saying my advice is "retarded", I think this guy just thinks lax,hueco and bishop are all 10ft away from eachother. look at his original post a little closer.

Why don't you look at his post a little closer. He is coming for a few months and wants to spend at least a month in Hueco and a month in Bishop. Bouldering in Jtree for a month instead of Hueco would be retarded.

jerrygarcia

Jul 22, 2004, 6:50 AM
Post #14 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So far the advice is retarded.

Thats not very nice.

And yes its late and im a moron. First thing I read in your post says "so far the advice is retarded" and I get flustered. Still not a very nice thing to say.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 22, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #15 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there's an International Airport in El Paso, but flying into LAX will be cheaper, especially from Europe.

Best bet is to fly into LAX and rent a car... Budget has a monthly rate of about $800 US, for a small SUV with unlimited mileage. 6 hours to Bipshop, and from Upland, only 1 hour to J-Tree. Upland to El Paso is about 20 hours.

unclesomebody

Jul 22, 2004, 9:43 AM
Post #16 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's like this... i arrive in to LAX on sep. 1st. I won't want to head to bishop until sep 14th. Then i plan to stay there for 4 weeks. Then i need to get to hueco somehow and stay there for another 4 weeks. Then back to upland. Once I'm at Bishop or Hueco I'm sure it'll be easy to find people who are motivated to do the stuff I want to do... However, I was trying to find the best way to get to bishop from upland... it seems public transport is a joke and I can't really afford to shell out $2000 for a hire car whilst i am there. Especially as I will only need it for a few days for the driving to/from bishop and hueco. I guess I will crash hangar 18 when i get there and try to impress some hot girls and ask them to drive me to bishop... will that work? 8^)

pbjosh

Jul 22, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #17 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, there's an International Airport in El Paso, but flying into LAX will be cheaper, especially from Europe.

Best bet is to fly into LAX and rent a car... Budget has a monthly rate of about $800 US, for a small SUV with unlimited mileage. 6 hours to Bipshop, and from Upland, only 1 hour to J-Tree. Upland to El Paso is about 20 hours.

Upland to El Paso is about 11 hours, not 20, FWIW. I regularly drive San Diego to Hueco in approximately 10 hours.

alpnclmbr1

Jul 22, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #18 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do the drive from Orange County to Bishop all the time.

PM me when the time comes and and I can probably hook you up with a ride.

Hueco and Bishop are the best in the states, and they are going to be to hot in sept/oct.

Try to spend what time you can at other cooler temp areas.

Go to Flagstaff and boulder at the draw (limestone roofs)kelly(sandstone) cherry creek etc,) Flagstaff has one of the stronger crews anywhere. Probably one of the best places to catch a ride to hueco from some local weekenders.

Rocky mountain national park
Alpine bouldering on killer granite at 10k feet. The place for the bold climber. Problems by graham,caldwell,potter, etc.

Horsetooth, flagstaff, morison: lot of history and tons of 11's scattered all over the place.(boulder)

bellatoris

Jul 22, 2004, 7:40 PM
Post #19 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best thing imo is to post back ealy Sept when you get here and see if you can carpool up with other climbers. It is virtually guaranteed that mid. Sept. someone from socal is heading north to or past Bishop. If that fails I will personally chauffeur you up there; maybe! Post notes at the boards up in Bishop, and on the web, and ask around; it should be easy to find a ride back esp on a sunday. As for Hueco its a longshot, but I would fly to El Paso. Southwest airlines should be pretty cheap. Remember this is the land of subsidized gas and our currency is currently worthless.

poa-alpina
Deleted

Jul 22, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #20 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about greyhound buses? when i was there i took a bus from LA to El Paso and back. and it wasn't very expensive - don't remember how much it cost me but it was definitely cheaper than AmTrak would have been.

and i really liked it, too.

olivia

jt512

Jul 22, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #21 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Thats not very nice.

But it is correct, cuts to the chase, and alerts the British guy to the fact that he is getting a bunch of incorrect advice.

-Jay

jt512

Jul 22, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #22 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm coming for a few months on sep. 1st and will be arriving into LAX then staying in Upland for a week...

When you get to Upland go to the Hanger 18 climbing gym, which is right there in town. There is a cadre of strong boulderers there, who should be able to give you whatever beta you need on Hueco and Bishop, and could possibly help you out with transportation.

-Jay

jerrygarcia

Jul 23, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #23 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Thats not very nice.

But it is correct, cuts to the chase, and alerts the British guy to the fact that he is getting a bunch of incorrect advice.

-Jay

Thats one way to rationalize it. This world today, makes baby jesus cry.

unclesomebody

Aug 2, 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #24 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello all. Afer some more advice now... Since I am just a poor climber from sheffield, I can't really afford to rent a car for 3 months, so i am looking at buying one and selling it when I leave. What I was wondering is can you buy a half decent car for under $1500? Also, how much is insurance and how does it work over there? AND, will I be able to just use my driving license from over here? so many questions... so little time...

Thanks in advance.

namascar

Aug 6, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #25 of 26 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM me for a ride to Bishop. I go there every other weekend.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook