Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

galactic7gecko

Jul 21, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #1 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

SpIDeRS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone! I have recently done some outdoor climbing and it was great, till I came across some spider, mean looking suckers. I mean they were some scary stuff! I have this little thing against the little guys. Have any of you felt the same way? I dont want this to hinder my climbing, cause they're all over the place! Suggestions?

overlord

Jul 21, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Re: SpIDeRS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

forget about it.

the nastiest thing that happened to me (funny thing is it happeend twice on two consequent different onsight leads) was when i made the reach for a tasty jug, i found out a nest of ants made their home in it. ouch.

dalguard

Jul 21, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you belong in the Lady's Room. We have a nice thread over there about girly moments.

climberfille

Jul 21, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have dead pointed a millipeed right through the middle (eww). Also, I've had one dive down my sports bra. Yuck!

iclimblilrocks

Jul 21, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #5 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am deathly afraid of spiders... And up here in Joshua Tree we have these spiders that are related to "camel spiders" so they get HUGE.. Ive heard of people running into ones that are as big as a normal size head.. and these things are mean! they will run at you and try to bite you(big,nasty, scarey teeth)

every time that I grab for a hold I try to make sure that there isnt a spider sitting there... because I will SCREAM and completely jump off the rock! (I mainly TR) and I hope to god my belayer is paying attention...

my advice to you is to find a differant area where they are not...

fadeux

Jul 21, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #6 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am deathly afraid of spiders... And up here in Joshua Tree we have these spiders that are related to "camel spiders" so they get HUGE.. Ive heard of people running into ones that are as big as a normal size head.. and these things are mean! they will run at you and try to bite you(big,nasty, scarey teeth)

every time that I grab for a hold I try to make sure that there isnt a spider sitting there... because I will SCREAM and completely jump off the rock! (I mainly TR) and I hope to god my belayer is paying attention...

my advice to you is to find a differant area where they are not...

Dammit, Iclimblilrocks, Why have you not started some rappelling with your home depot rope yet?

markc

Jul 21, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #7 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mentioned to my wife the other day that climbing has really mellowed me towards bugs, arachnids and the like. I've never really been fond of them, but there are times when your reaction to insects has to be measured. As long as things aren't actively biting or chasing me these days, I'm fine. Thankfully, I haven't had anything fall in my shirt like another poster. I don't know if I'm quite prepared to deal with that.

lv2climb7

Jul 21, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #8 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crgwh

Jul 21, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #9 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like iclimblilrocks, I was once deathly afraid of spiders. This irrational fear was caused by uneducation of these scarry looking creatures. Now I am a member of the American Tarantula Society and have a seven year old pet Grammostola grossa (Pampas tawnyred). Big harry tarantula to most people.
Go on line and do some research on spiders, purchase a few books on arachnids, catch a few as temporary study creatures. Be prepaired to be board though unless you capture a jumping spider. Those are fun to watch. You will see spiders are not as dangerous as they are made out to appear. Even the poisionous ones.
I couldn't find "camel spider" in my index as mentioned by fadeux. This was because the Camel Spider isn't exactly a spider but is known as a wind scorpion. It isn't exactly a scorpion or a spider but more in the middle and boy are they scarry looking. The largest are smaller than an adult hand (not head), they are non agressive but can run up to 10 mph, deliver a bite about like Kiwi can (my tarantula) and have no venom glands therefore can't poision humans.
By the way, the e-mail from the Gulf War circulating (still) about the Camel Spiders, is false.

galactic7gecko

Jul 21, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #10 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your right! Doing a little research might be good to get to know the little fellas!!!

Thnx!

Partner coylec

Jul 22, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #11 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While you're at it, could ya drop the l33t speak from the thread titles? :D

Knowledge and facts

coylec

kachoong

Jul 22, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #12 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're scared that much of spiders, then Australia is not for you buddy!

If you at all get off route the cracks are full of webs, huntsmen (non-poisonous) the size of your hand (or bigger) frequently run around campsites and jump out of trees, and there are other poisonous spiders and ticks and other bugs on all approaches to crags.

But really, all you have to do is ignore them, and they'll ignore you. You'll get just as much of a fright from ANYTHING running up your arm, spider or not. Spiders just 'creep' better! Spiders also eat flies..... that's gotta be worth something.

gymstud001

Jul 22, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #13 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There just spiders, grab them and throw them off the cliff!

Here in Texas we have to deal with the wasps that come flying after you!

kachoong

Jul 22, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #14 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's your solution:

What you need to get is a pet lizard. It can use a second chalk bag off your harness as base camp and can run in and out at his dicression picking off bugs, spiders, etc. He can stand guard at each belay, and warn off potential six/eight legged threatening creatures whom may come within striking distance. What it catches is payment. Just give it a helmet and a drink every once in a while.... hey presto.... no more bugs!

....Dave

xanx

Jul 22, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #15 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get stronger. as u push the higher numbers, the holds get smaller until there is nothing big enough for a spider to live in :-)

scubasnyder

Jul 22, 2004, 3:50 AM
Post #16 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its ok they will only bite if u try to grab them

over_the_hill

Jul 22, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #17 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, try this one. Climb at the Delaware Water Gap PA. There is a little roof/ undercling crack that has a nest of (only GOD knows how many) daddy long legs. When you jam in the crack, they will flood out ALL OVER YOU, covering you with thousands of the things. You have no gear yet, and its 20 feet or so to the ground, so you just have to hold on. Once the initial jitters of having a couple of thousand spiders crawling ALL OVER YOU subsides, you will brush them all off, continue to climb, and never be afraid of spiders again. Worked for me!! (No desire to climb at the gap ever again though.........)

climbinglizard2

Jul 22, 2004, 6:46 AM
Post #18 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spiders are freackin cool let them crawl around on you then just let them go on there way :twisted:

dredsovrn

Jul 22, 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #19 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry about the spiders. Watch out for the snakes.

jcshaggy

Jul 22, 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #20 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:52 am Post subject: Re: SpIDeRS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You've got to love the bugs!!!
A nice bee hive is always good for morale on a route.

goofyc

Jul 23, 2004, 6:03 AM
Post #21 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Climbinglizard2, Spiders are AWSOME, they are generally a gentle lot (with some exceptions) and just want to enjoy the rocks like the rest of us. On the other hand, I am deathly afraid of any kind of bee, from Bumble to Wasp! :D

Partner tyify

Jul 23, 2004, 6:32 AM
Post #22 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Move to Alaska...no poisonous spiders up here..and barely any as it is. No snakes either...or poison ivy...or multitudes of other things that are nasty in the lower 48..however those earthquakes...........

jimbe

Jul 23, 2004, 8:46 AM
Post #23 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just did some of my first outdoor bouldering a couple days ago at a state park lol kinda illegal in indiana and so there really hasnt been anyone climbing on theses rocks so they were COVERED with spiders and spider webs. it was very sketch as i would throw my hand into a grab while im 10 ft up rocks to fall on and a spider would crawl on my hand. i used to be very arachnophobic but realized they really are nice and just trying to enjoy the rock. now i dont have any problem with them being around me as long as there nice and NOT ON ME. it is really hard to keep climbing while they are... for me at least. i think a good idea would be to get a pet spider and let him crawl around on you a little bit because they are not that scary just a bit eekish when they crawl on you and your not used to it. but definately you have to just get crazy and suck it up if you want to climb crazy mountains you have to get over tiny arachnids first. good luck though i feel your pain.

jorian_nl

Jul 23, 2004, 8:54 AM
Post #24 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just don't brush your teeth and they will run away when they smell you. :wink:

Partner tisar

Jul 23, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #25 of 31 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a crack in a concrete climbing tower here which offers a new surprise each year.

This year it's just a titmouse nest. A little disappointing while there where falcons two years ago. But far better than the last year's inhabitants. No one likes to pull hard on the door frame of a hornets nest...

Looking forward to next year - bats would be a nice variety :lol:

- Daniel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook