Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kevindubrau

Jul 23, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Slackline onsight?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I've heard a lot of the use of the terms onsight, send, solo, etc. in reference to slacklining. Most of these terms make sense to me in the slacklining context, with the exception of the term onsight. I haven't done a ton of slacklining, but is there really much "beta" gained from an attempt? Do you really need to suss things out before going for the redpoint? Or is this just a climbing term applied with slightly different conotations.

Before I get flamed, mad props for any onsight, slacklining included. I'm just curious.

dredsovrn

Jul 23, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slackline onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

occlimbr

Jul 23, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Onsite would imply that you did it on your first try. Redpoint would be that you did it, but with falls on previous attemts.

corpse

Jul 23, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about pinkpointing? What about foot-doggin? Aid Slackling can also be fun..

kevindubrau

Jul 23, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #5 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all about aid slacklining, but I like to place gear on lead so no pink points for me anytime soon.

In reply to:
Onsite would imply that you did it on your first try. Redpoint would be that you did it, but with falls on previous attemts.

I understand this, I was wondering if a slackline gets easier as you try it more because you get "beta" about it.

petsfed

Jul 23, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #6 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With enough practice and repetition, you can learn the nuances of a particular line, the "sweet spot" so to speak to do tricks, where the line is tightest, loosest, most responsive, etc.

However, the inception of the redpoint, pinkpoint, onsight, etc. differentiations in climbing were to create a hierarchy. Is it so foreign to simply enjoy something without quantifying it? Seriously, who cares if you can slackline better than some dude in Moab? Are we as climbers so hopelessly inurred with this principle of achievement based enjoyment that we can't just kick back, have a beer, and slack? Slacklining is as everchanging as ice climbing, so the terms redpoint, onsight, pinkpoint, have no value outside of highly contrived circumstances. Short of high end mixed climbing, you can't onsight (per se) a frozen waterfall. It'll be completely different next year. It'll be completely different next month, week. It'll be different tomorrow. It'll be different in 2 hours. Same with a slackline. It will stretch, it will tighten, it will change over an afternoon. And in the end, it doesn't really matter how you did it, so long as you had fun.

corpse

Jul 23, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #7 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed - that pic of areyoumydude is of him aiding that slackline ;-) Must be pretty easy given he's drinkin a beer - surely not at the crux.

And yes, you can get more beta. For me, ppl tell me, "put one foot in front of the other". My problem, is I only get 1 step everytime. Now, if someone were to tell me "put left foot in front of right, then right in front of left", then I think I would get 2 steps.

Dont' forget about ice slacklining.. of course, that's where you drip water on your slackline till it freezes, then you walk it.

kevindubrau

Jul 23, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info petsfed

slackdaddy

Jul 24, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #9 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only heard the term "onsight" in referance to a highline. To onsight a highline, no falls-first try, is a good trick that requires skill and balls.

lv2climb7

Jul 24, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #10 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ema

Jul 24, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #11 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

too bad its not even a spurt

areyoumydude

Jul 25, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #12 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Oh a spurt fan. Do you spit or swallow? :lol:

kman

Jul 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #13 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

serious slacklining is ghey. Onsight slacklining :roll:

cabal666

Jul 25, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #14 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought this page was about climbing

skinnyjim

Jul 25, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #15 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ema wrote:

Oh a spurt fan. Do you spit or swallow? Laughing

That is pretty harsh.. I think someone needs some ointment for that burn..

areyoumydude

Jul 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #16 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
ema wrote:

Oh a spurt fan. Do you spit or swallow? Laughing

That is pretty harsh.. I think someone needs some ointment for that burn..

:lol: :lol: It would be harsh but ema is a troll. Although not a very good one. :x

theturtle

Jul 25, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #17 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Recently I've heard a lot of the use of the terms onsight, send, solo, etc. in reference to slacklining. Most of these terms make sense to me in the slacklining context, with the exception of the term onsight. I haven't done a ton of slacklining, but is there really much "beta" gained from an attempt? Do you really need to suss things out before going for the redpoint? Or is this just a climbing term applied with slightly different conotations?

Good question kevindubrau, like other forms of climbing, slackline has huge mental factors involved in sending.
To "on-site" a longline or highline requires the slacker to break the mental barriers on their own and walk the line no falls w/o seeing anyone else do it first.
Seeing someone send a line is going to break down some of the mental barriers and make the send eaiser. As in other forms of climbing, sending a line first try, after watching someone else do it is a "Flash."
The "beta" on slacklines is mostly mental, so most slackers don't use the term "red point", we prefer "send".

straightedgeteen

Jul 25, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #18 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

Partner holdplease2

Jul 25, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #19 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does a solo of a highline mean it was done without any leash or protection?

Obviously a slow day in kateville.

-Kate.

areyoumydude

Jul 26, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #20 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-Kate.

Yes, walking the line leashless would be a solo. Dean Potter, Shawn Snyder, and Darrin Carter are the only ones I Know of that do this.

areyoumydude

Jul 26, 2004, 4:14 PM
Post #21 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
serious slacklining is ghey. Onsight slacklining :roll:

The only thing I am serious about is having fun. Whether it be climbing or slacklining. Having terms like on-site and send for slacklining is just a way to describe what you did. Dissing slacklining just means you can't do it or are no good at it. I am sure I climb more than most of you slackline haters anyway, so in the immortal words of drkodos "feck off!"

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 26, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #22 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Kate.

Yes, walking the line leashless would be a solo. Dean Potter, Shawn Snyder, and Darrin Carter are the only ones I Know of that do this.

Alright, I'll bite. Correction, about everyone does it leashless but they are the only ones I know of that do highlines that way- thus free soloers. I suppose that'd translate to making the rest of us "boulderers" since we go without a safety rope but usually not high up enough to really mess ourselves up. And of course we occasionally put in a high ball "problem" that we walk that's kinda high up for a comfortable fall.

And if you want to break it down even more, people with a higher than head safety line would be top roping and you'd be leading on a leash since you go for a whipper. Multipitch would have to be transfering between different lines.

That said, I still think trying for force divisions and categoration (sp) on a young budding free style sport isn't all that great of an idea. I'll be honest here, I slack because I like to slack, the last think I want to hear from a random passer by is "man check out that dude - he just kicked out a J12 move" (slackline move rated as a 12 with jumps). I'm pretty anti-competitive myself the I'd hate to see the sport degrade into a bunch of people who were just out having fun now seeking bragging rights of abritrary numbers and belittling those who can't hit certain moves.

theturtle

Jul 26, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #23 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, the inception of the redpoint, pinkpoint, onsight, etc. differentiations in climbing were to create a hierarchy. Is it so foreign to simply enjoy something without quantifying it? Seriously, who cares if you can slackline better than some dude in Moab? Are we as climbers so hopelessly inurred with this principle of achievement based enjoyment that we can't just kick back, have a beer, and slack? ... And in the end, it doesn't really matter how you did it, so long as you had fun.

Petsfed: If you are trying to disrespect areyoumydude by linking his profile to your post, you're clearly missinformed. Larry is the least competitive climber/slacker I know. His Slacking is all about having fun, burning bowls, and drinking beer. I have seen him do all three w/o falling off the line. His photos are posted to inspire other slackers and spread the knowledge of what is possible.

It would appear from your post that you're the one who's competitive and jealous of areyoumydude's talent. Larry dosen't care if you are not as good as him or if you're better than him, he just loves to slack.

To quantify and name things is a natural aspect of human communication. If you are going to communicate with other slackers you will have to use a common language and accept all the consiquences, positive and negitive. If you don't wan't to communicate with the rest of us, you don't have to. I don't think we'll be missing anything.

theturtle

Jul 26, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #24 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Alright, I'll bite. Correction, about everyone does it leashless but they are the only ones I know of that do highlines that way- thus free soloers. I suppose that'd translate to making the rest of us "boulderers" since we go without a safety rope but usually not high up enough to really mess ourselves up. And of course we occasionally put in a high ball "problem" that we walk that's kinda high up for a comfortable fall.

And if you want to break it down even more, people with a higher than head safety line would be top roping and you'd be leading on a leash since you go for a whipper. Multipitch would have to be transfering between different lines.

That said, I still think trying for force divisions and categoration (sp) on a young budding free style sport isn't all that great of an idea. I'll be honest here, I slack because I like to slack, the last think I want to hear from a random passer by is "man check out that dude - he just kicked out a J12 move" (slackline move rated as a 12 with jumps). I'm pretty anti-competitive myself the I'd hate to see the sport degrade into a bunch of people who were just out having fun now seeking bragging rights of abritrary numbers and belittling those who can't hit certain moves.

No disrespect to you Joe, but I don't think your translation of slacklining to climbing terms works very well.

Slackers are not trying to convert every aspect of the sport into climbing terms, only the ones that apply. As an experienced climber of all styles, I can can say that the terms "on-sight", "flash" and "free-solo" are as appropriate to slackline as they are to climbing. As for bouldering, multi-pitch, and toprope, these terms don't really apply. Highlining is alot like leading except it is scarier than leading and more severe if you fall, I think comparing it to leading degrades the achivement of highlining.

Climbing grades are not ment to belittle anyone, people who feel bad because they don't perform at a certain level take themselves too seriously, as do people who feel good because other people don't climb at a certain level. So far however, no one has been able to accuratly quantify slackline so we don't have to worry about that yet.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 26, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #25 of 26 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No disrespect to you Joe, but I don't think your translation of slacklining to climbing terms works very well.

Agreed, I guess that was kind of my point in a very round about way; as in not trying to overly impose climbing scenarios onto slacking. There was some sarcasim there that just didn't come across in my post.

I'd say slacklining somewhat able to stand up on it's own feet as a sport that includes a lot of climbers but isn't necessarily part of climbing - baby steps maybe but somewhat on its own. Thats why I wasn't so keen on placing climbing categories on slacking.

If we make all the terminology climbing specific it kinda limits the sports expansion outside of the climbing arena. I just didn't see a need to bring in terms that might not translate so well.. Little things like the terms we use actually do have a impact on how others and new individuals will view the sport - if we borrow everything from climbing then what does that imply to them? - Some of the emails I get from non-climbers regarding terminology on my web site supports this. If people "don't get" what your saying it makes a big impact on their view of the sport. If terms like "biners" "3 to 1" and "rabbit runners" bothers people to the point of a WTF type of attitude then I can only imagine what a flash or onsite evaluation would be like.

If anything I'm one for trying to stick with seperate evaluations, I mean slackers know what highlining is for the most part and have a certain level of appreciation for those who do it. Fear factor wise - I'd see it as a huge fricking run out, then again I'm just a mediocre climber who doesn't even spend that much time on the sharp end.

Ok - 'nuff rambling I'm going slacking.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook