RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

zap

Aug 3, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

camping at devils tower
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all, i am heading out to the tower in late sept. was looking for some beta on where to camp. also thinking about stopping at the needles, so if anyone can help me there, i would be thankful.

texasclimber

Aug 3, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Re: camping at devils tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did the same thing 2 years ago. Stay at the KOA, it's right outside of Devil's Tower. The road to the Needles is an awesome drive from Devil's Tower. I would definatly go! Have fun.

godskid5

Aug 3, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hoping to go there next september myself! Goodluck. hope you have a great time. wish i could be of some help, but havnt been there yet.

mtn_eagle

Aug 3, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not only does the KOA have a beautiful view of the Tower, it also shows Close Encounters of the Third Kind every night on an outside wide screen TV. It is a great opportunity to relive your childhood, assuming you were alive and mentating in 1977.

kadiez

Aug 3, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #5 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd recommend skipping the KOA actually and going with the park's campground. It's cheaper ($12 a night) and quieter. It's only a mile or so from the base parking lot as well, and also has a great view of the Tower.
As for the Needles....Sylvan Lake has a nice campground, but I would definitely recommend reserving a spot...they go fast!
I'll be heading out to the Tower in a few weeks myself. I can't wait!
Have fun!!! :)

tradmanclimbs

Aug 3, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on the forest service campground at the tower. Not much bootleg camping arround there. there is great free forest service camping outside of custer though.

el_capitan

Aug 3, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

another vote for Sylvan Lake Campground at the needles. You can reserve by going to campsd.com. The campground is actually in Custer State park. From the website, you can get an idea of the avaliability but this campground is always full. Its a beautiful campground with some good climbing in a walking distance. And for Devils tower, stay at the park campground. I have done both KOA and the park, and the park is cheaper, not as noisy (no kids running around and no third encounter every night at a very loud volume).

dangermouse

Aug 3, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exiting Needles and making a right (west-bound?) there are a few good ghetto camp sites off the road on the left about 2 miles down. Stayed there for about 4 days recently. Not a soul in sight. You will need a car that can do a bit of off-roading. If you want better directions PM me.

Couldn't find any ghetto camping at Devil's Tower though. The campsite wasn't too bad, though it is 12 bucks...

g
Deleted

Aug 3, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ditto on the forest service campground at the tower. Not much bootleg camping arround there. there is great free forest service camping outside of custer though.

Just me being picky, but there is no Forest Service campground at Devils Tower, it is managed by the National Park Service, as is the rest of the monument. NPS and FS aren't even in the same department. FS is Agriculture and NPS is Interior.

Unless you know some of the property owners around the Tower, I suggest the campground at the Tower (meaning, not KOA). There is a National Forest east of the Tower where one could find some free camping, but it isn't that close, unlike in the rest of the Black Hills.

angelaa

Aug 3, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe you all are suggesting Sylvan lake campground for black hills camping. . . . Yuck - the sites are SO close together!! And it is LOUD - the one time I was there - we drove through and couldn't find an empty site without trash in it! so we kept on driving

I would suggest Horsethief Lake campground - just down the road from Mt Rushmore (toward Hill City - I bit more of a drive to the needles, but if you want you can take the short cut (Palmer Gulch Rd)- check out the walk-ins! You can even get a campsite lakeside and do some fishing or evening skinny dipping!

Speaking of Palmer Gulch road, if you want free camping the trail head on Palmer Gulch road is GREAT and there is even a pit toilet . . . just get off the parking lot, and beware of the cows moving through in the morning. . . . especially the bulls.

regarding Devils Tower, check out the bed and breakfast - he sometimes will let you camp on the grounds and there are showers and a hot tub!!!

Partner j_ung

Aug 3, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't believe you all are suggesting Sylvan lake campground for black hills camping. . . . Yuck - the sites are SO close together!! And it is LOUD - the one time I was there - we drove through and couldn't find an empty site without trash in it! so we kept on driving

I would suggest Horsethief Lake campground - just down the road from Mt Rushmore (toward Hill City - I bit more of a drive to the needles, but if you want you can take the short cut (Palmer Gulch Rd)- check out the walk-ins! You can even get a campsite lakeside and do some fishing or evening skinny dipping!

Speaking of Palmer Gulch road, if you want free camping the trail head on Palmer Gulch road is GREAT and there is even a pit toilet . . . just get off the parking lot, and beware of the cows moving through in the morning. . . . especially the bulls.

regarding Devils Tower, check out the bed and breakfast - he sometimes will let you camp on the grounds and there are showers and a hot tub!!!

That's whar I'm a headed!

g
Deleted

Aug 3, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's a strong statement, I never suggested Sylvan. I lived in the Hills long enough to know that there are better spots.

On the brights side though, it will be late September, which means that not to many tourons will be left in the Hills. The downside is, it might start to get a little cold.

zap

Aug 3, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ya'll, thanks for some great beta. think i will pass on the "close encounters", had no desire to see it when it came out, have no desire to see it now. i will definitely look into the b&b, the thought of a hot tub is to good to pass up. anyone gonna be in the area in late sept?

Partner tgreene

Aug 3, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be arriving at the tower in little over 3 weeks... :mrgreen:

kpalsson

Aug 3, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tgreene: me too! Another few days here at smith, then a couple of weeks getting across idaho and montana, then I'll be at the tower lat aug.

See you there!

tradmanclimbs

Aug 3, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo G. i meant the freaking official Devils tower campground just inside the gate and you know it. Quit being so freaking anal :roll:

Partner tgreene

Aug 4, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
tgreene: me too! Another few days here at smith, then a couple of weeks getting across idaho and montana, then I'll be at the tower lat aug.

See you there!

We'll be arriving on the 26th I believe, so lets plan to hook up for a beer and maybe even a climb... We'll be staying at Frank's lodge, and driving a taupe colored Taurus with ILLINOIS plates. :wink:

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook