RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

kimherlee

Jul 2, 2004, 9:45 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3765 views)
Shortcut

harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am having a hard time finding a harness that fits right. I want to know which harness' are best for Girls. Thanks
Kim

mountainchick82

Jul 2, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Re: harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know your body type but I have the Metolius Safe Tech Delux. Its uber padded and comfy. Its also nice because all loops are rated the same as the belay loop. Its a little bulky, but I'm not a skinny chic so its ok for me.

Good luck!

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 3, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Primrose fro Black Diamond, and like it. It's designed for women too, so that may help. I notice it seems to be the one I see most on other women too, but that might simply be because all the stores stock it as "the woman's harness".....

ecocliffchick

Jul 5, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favourite harness was the Petzl Bonnie - but I don't think they make that style anymore. I had to buy two (one for the right size of leg loops, and a second for the right waist size ) - but once I put it together, it was the best fit ever.

I haven't found another harness I like as well.

Anyone else have the tiny waist - huge legs problem? and what harness did you find that fits? I'm still shopping...

tammy

Jul 5, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i too have the black diamond primrose. i think it's really comfortable. enuf padding so it doesn't hurt (too much) when you fall, but not so bulky that it's in the way.

crazygirl

Jul 7, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="ecocliffchick"]My favourite harness was the Petzl Bonnie - but I don't think they make that style anymore. I had to buy two (one for the right size of leg loops, and a second for the right waist size ) - but once I put it together, it was the best fit ever.
In reply to:

ha?

i'm still shopping, can't find one i like. has anyone used bd momentum?

valygrl

Jul 7, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously, there is not one harness that fits all women best. Usually the women's harnesses have bigger leg loops and longer rise for the same waist, as compared to a men's harness. What fits you will depend on your proportions.

I like the Metolius 3d harnesses - not sure what they are calling them these days, Raven maybe? They are adjustable in the waist, rise and leg loop circumference, so if you are a nonstandard proportion you may be able to get it to fit. The only problem is the gear loops on the XS size are too small - only really an issue for trad climbing.

You can find some harnesses that come with separatable swami and leg-loops, and either buy two (like someone mentioned, yikes$$$!!!) or if you are lucky, arrange to get two different sizes. I did that with my wall harness - John Yates himself pulled some strings at the Yosemite Mtn Shop for me, and got them to switch out the leg loops for the small Shield with the XS women's speed wall... now if only he would just make the Shield in XS I would be *really* happy.

Anna
(Hey John, chicks DO carry hammers. And haul.)

summit07

Jul 10, 2004, 8:18 AM
Post #8 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I currently use a singing rock zenith. not bad , quite comfy..
bd momentum is comfy also, i borrowed my friends before i got my own. i like it better than the one i have now. But it all depends on what you body shape and proportions are i guess.

magpie

Jul 20, 2004, 8:19 AM
Post #9 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an Arc'teryx- don't know the specific name of the style, but it fits great and I've had it a while. I think they still make it. I also have the small waist not-so-small thigh problem and this one suits me just fine. It has a little elastic band in the leg loops so they fit great, and always feel comfortable. I'm ready for a new harness and wouldn't think twice about getting another of the same. I don't know the style name- it's not on the harness itself, but I'm pretty sure it was marketed as a women's style harness. It has a white and purple stripe on it... sorry, that's about all the info I can give... Good luck!

OK- I looked it up online and it's the Arcteryx Isis and they do still make it.

hopster

Jul 20, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

sized for women... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i find it irritating that most harnesses are too big to fit around my waist, but unless they have adjustable leg loops, the ones that DO fit squish my thighs!!! these are a few of the features i look for in a harness: drop seat or leg loops that you can quickly undo for those inevitable pre-climb pees (or poops, ohhh nooo :oops: ), four gear loops, haul loop in the back for trail rope, padded enough for hanging belays, and adjustable leg loops (see above)...

try on lots and hang in it for comfort check...

bluetrout

Jul 21, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #11 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a Arcteryx Isis and really like it for warm weather stuff. It is very comfy, has the clips in back so I can drop the leg loops when nature calls. The leg loops have this elastic in them for expanding but are not adjustable, so depending on your shape that could be a problem. I am pretty small with skinny legs so it works for me. However I think I might have problems with the waist come winter time when I have a bunch of bulky clothes on. I think the waist is going to be too small then, I'm not going to be able to double back my tail with at least an inch to spare. I may have to use my old unpadded alpine harness again, or buy another one!
But yeah, you just need to try a bunch on.

climbingurlie

Jul 25, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone else have the tiny waist - huge legs problem? and what harness did you find that fits? I'm still shopping...
I do! My first and only harness has been a Zenith from Singing Rock. It can adjust like crazy, has good padding, and is comfy. I've tried other harnesses, but I really like my Zenith. I'd reccomend it to any women.

just4fun

Aug 3, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I.ve just started to climb and I'm from New Zealand and have just been to check them out, and have found the primrose to be great, I have only been indoor climbing so i hired most of the gear, what has everyone got to say about buying gear for the first time? What do I look for?

ecocliffchick

Aug 24, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AAAAAARRRGGGHH!!! I just got back from shopping all day for a harness. I swear I tried on every size of every style at MEC (Canadian outdoor store). I'm so pissed. Why do harness makers assume that all climbers will have skinny legs? Only the extra-large harnesses would fit around these thighs, and then there was enough room for three of me in the waist belt. I ended up with a Black Diamond Blizzard - a men's ice climbing and alpine harness - for a sport climbing trip. Because it's fully adjustable I could open up the leg loops to their largest range and cinch down the waist band to its tightest and almost make it fit. This is just rediculous. I swear I can't be the only women who has large legs and a tiny waist.

If there are any harness manufacturers out there - please make a sport climbing harness called 'the pear' - for the average women who loves to climb even though she hasn't got the ideal body type for climbing!

paige

Aug 27, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #15 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the marmot focus, i like, but try whatever you buy on first.

Partner honeyhiker

Aug 28, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #16 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a Misty Mountain Silouette for a few years and love it. It has the drop feature which is awesome and padded leg loops. I do get sweaty in the summer though and recently tried the Black Diamond Iris harness I bought for my daughter. Its really nice with bigger leg loops than the Misty and has the drop release in the back also. It was very comfortable and I forgot I had a different harness on. Both are awesome and I recommend either.

Chris

magpie

Aug 29, 2004, 6:38 AM
Post #17 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I know I replied earlier, but went out to buy a new harness, anticipating getting my Isis, but tried on the Metolius Safe Tech women's harness. Wow, is it COMFY! Adjustable leg loops and leg rise, and crazy padding. The ONLY downside is no drop legs like the Isis for quick pee trips, but I've still squatted in the woods with it on (just a little tougher.)

You can look at my "pirate treasure" photo and see that I'm not a no-hips chick- let's call it curvy... I really love it and can wear it all day and still be comfortable, even after having my husband hangdog on a tough climb. (not that he does that often.... just in case he's reading this...)

I would definitely try it out.

punk

Aug 30, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #18 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius my GF swear by it

juditzu

Aug 30, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Misty - it is great because (at least in the past) they will do special order so that you can have a different size leg than waist. I got mine a while ago, so not sure how they do special orders. They do have a harness specifically shaped for women - the Silhouette and according to their website the leg loops are a larger size for the same waist.

angelaa

Aug 30, 2004, 7:57 PM
Post #20 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Misty Silhouette
http://www.mistymountain.com/silhouette.htm

hardrock_chik

Oct 1, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I struggled for ages to find a harness that fits. I bought the newer version of teh Black Diamond Primrose (on special i might add otherwise I'd ahve bought the Primrose) It has asjustable leg loops, lots of padding and is actually colour-co-ordinated :P (its a nice blue). Its a reasonable price and the best harness I've seen.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook