RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

flash5twelve

Aug 9, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Camping in Utah
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I are moving to Colorado this week. We're driving from SoCal and plan on stopping somewhere in Utah to camp overnight. Can you recommend a place to camp not too far off I-15 or I-70? I'm driving a U-haul and towing my car on a trailer, so Zion seems a bit impractical. It will have to be someplace that I can drive into with that rig. I've never been to Utah, and I know there is much beauty to see, so a place with a nice view to wake up to would be nice.

Thanks!

delarig

Aug 9, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kolob Canyon is a really nice place to camp. Amazing cliffs. It's only 5 minutes off of I-15. Look for it after St. George but before Ceadar City. If you want to go a little further down the road then definately hit Mystic Hot Springs in Monroe, UT. Only 6 minutes off of I-70. It's a really nice setup. Camping is cheap and includes soaking.

over_the_hill

Aug 9, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to take a small detour to the Moab area. It will be worth your time to look into it. Drop down 191 to moab, then back up 128 to rejoin I-70.

bigdski

Aug 9, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the stopping in Moab idea... its just amazing... if not, good luck on the move and all that jazz...

flash5twelve

Aug 9, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kolob Canyon is a really nice place to camp. Amazing cliffs. It's only 5 minutes off of I-15. Look for it after St. George but before Ceadar City. If you want to go a little further down the road then definately hit Mystic Hot Springs in Monroe, UT. Only 6 minutes off of I-70. It's a really nice setup. Camping is cheap and includes soaking.

Hot springs sound really nice. My muscles are already sore just thinking about all the crap that I have to load onto that truck tomorro! Monroe looks like it might be a good place to stop---it's about half-way to Fort Collins from Riverside. Thanks!

flash5twelve

Aug 9, 2004, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You might want to take a small detour to the Moab area. It will be worth your time to look into it. Drop down 191 to moab, then back up 128 to rejoin I-70.

Can't . . . fight . . . the . . . temptation. Must . . . visit . . . Moab :shock:

I'd really love to visit Moab! We'll have to see how we're feeling when we get to those parts. Ten hours in a U-haul pulling a trailer might be too long a day to handle. We'll see. If we don't make it this trip, we'll be sure to hit it on another trip. I have a lot of family in California that we'll be coming back to visit. And Moab is only 6 hours from Fort Collins.:D

If we decide to push into Moab, do you have any campsites to recommend? Maybe something in Arches?

over_the_hill

Aug 9, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets just say this...........Moab.............Summer.................110 degrees! Stay out of the Arches Campgrounds!! Moab is great, and its a beautiful area, but camping in the area in the summer is beyond HOT!! I suggest you look into camping in the La Sal mountains right above Moab. If that seems just a bit too much, look into camping along the river road. I suggest you just get a hotel room, sleep in cool comfort, and then get out and explore in the early morning light. Once it is 10 am, it will be 100+, and not much fun to be anywhere except on the river. Keep your climbing gear handy, and get on the climbs at the Potash Road before the heat hits, or after 4 pm. It is worth a days stop. Good luck on your move/ drive.

flash5twelve

Aug 9, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips. I don't think we could have picked a worse time to be driving through the desert. The weather reports show 105-110 degrees F along the route! By camping, I just mean we need a place to drop our bags on the ground before hitting the road early in the morning again. We've got some friends to help us unload on Thursday, so we can't be taking any side trips.

That is, if we can ever get the truck! We had reservations for 9 a.m., and they didn't have the truck. It should be here by 1 p.m., though. Just in time to be loading up in the heat of the day. I've only ever had bad service with the do-it-yourself moving companies.

We decided to camp at the Mystic Hot Springs that delarig recommended in the first reply. I'm looking forward to soaking my bones.

areyoumydude

Aug 9, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moab is having a mild summer. It has mostly been in the high ninties.
Not to bad.
The La Sals have great free camping. The river road is probably your best bet because it will take you back to I-70. If you are only there for one night I would just try to poach a site and get up and go in the morning.

over_the_hill

Aug 9, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to the Mystic hot springs. Don't expect very much, it is more of a hippie commune than anything else. Very out of place compared to the "conservative mormon" community it sits in. I think you will be upset you went there once you see how nice Moab is. Just my opinion though...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook