RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

dxmetal

Jul 22, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Seeking Advice: Need new Mountaineering tent
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What tent do you guys use or recommend ?? It is time for me to ditch that 9 lbs tent.

I am looking at Exped Sirius Extreme but i dont know if it will hold up.

Appreciate all help :)

mlog

Jul 22, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Re: Seeking Advice: Need new Mountaineering tent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To better advise you people may need more specifics/requirements. For example:
- How many people?
- What kind of mountains and elevation (3- or 4-season)?
- Budget?

dxmetal

Jul 22, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

occupancy: 2 people

Usage : For now is just the Lower 48 mountains and Denali/South America Range in the future.

Budget : max: $ 450 but like to keep it under $ 350

Would a 3 season tent survive Rainier and its surrounding sister peaks ??

mlog

Jul 22, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am inclined to recommend Mountain Hardwear Trango 2, but it is around 9lb. It would be hard for you to find a burly 4-season mountaineering tent that is much lighter than 9lb and within your price range. Mountain Hardwear has an awesome 4-season tent for 2 people that is only around 5lb (EV2), but it is much more expensive (over $600 retail).
The North Face Mountain 25 is also an option for under $400, but again it is around 9lb. I have Ambition 35 and it is an awesome tent for snow/glacier camping, but it is pretty heavy. How much do you want your tent to weight?

lv2climb7

Jul 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #5 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dxmetal

Jul 23, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #6 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am actually looking to get this one but i dont know if it will hold up at high altitude mountain blizzard.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/EXP110

kman

Jul 23, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #7 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call my opinion biased but I would not buy anything with the word "extreeeeme" in it. :roll:

mlog

Jul 23, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #8 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never heard of this Exped tent or the company in general. For that price tag I'd go with something you know well and can easily maintain locally. Hence, I'd stick with something like Mountain Hardwear, TNF or Integral Design (too bad they are too expensive)

roc-dude
Deleted

Jul 23, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should not have to say any more.... The best tent made in the given price range.. I feel the best tent period..

www.biblertents.com/2002/tempest.html

dxmetal

Jul 24, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am wondering about lack of vestibule on a lot of these mountaineering tent.

What alternative do we have, if trapped inside a tent for days during bad weather ?? I dont think i will subject the possibility of burning my tent down while cooking inside it.

jackscoldsweat

Jul 24, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are truly shooting for climbs above the 48, go with a bibler or integral designs like those mentioned above. you had better start saving up a few more pennies. vestibules are available. can't beat the single wall tents for alpine environments.

JCS

topher

Jul 26, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are really stuck in your tent you will be looking at cooking inside any way... most people do this even when the weather isnt that bad... i have a marmot alpinest and i must say im happy with it... i hade an up high. but only for about a month then i traded for the alpinest...

oregonalpine

Aug 6, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #13 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can add vestibules for Biblers, and because of the quality they're not cheap... about the Trango 2, I wouldnt recommend it. In fact, i wouldnt even consider this a 4 season tent. I've talked to people that have had the poles break in stuff that a Bibler wouldn't notice... also, the vestibule does not come all the way to the ground, allowing snow to blow inside. About three season tents... the most northern mountain id use one on is Shasta, and then its still sketchy. Rainier could tear up a 3 season tent in minutes, the poles aren't strong enough. Save up and buy something of good quality (ive heard good things about hilleburgs) and save money in the long run.

cgailey

Aug 6, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #14 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can add vestibules for Biblers, and because of the quality they're not cheap... about the Trango 2, I wouldnt recommend it. In fact, i wouldnt even consider this a 4 season tent. I've talked to people that have had the poles break in stuff that a Bibler wouldn't notice... also, the vestibule does not come all the way to the ground, allowing snow to blow inside. About three season tents... the most northern mountain id use one on is Shasta, and then its still sketchy. Rainier could tear up a 3 season tent in minutes, the poles aren't strong enough. Save up and buy something of good quality (ive heard good things about hilleburgs) and save money in the long run.

Whoa, easy there tiger...the trango is a burly tent, it just has to be guyed out properly. I deal with more broken tent poles brought in by idiots who don't even know what a guyline is. The vestibule doesn't come to the ground for a reason...ventilation in warmer climes. You build a little pile of snow around the base of it to solve the snow blowing in problem.

For the original poster, if you want to go ultra light, you are going to have to pay extra and get a single wall. Bibler is a great tent, but you'll pay for it. The MHW annapurna is built on the same concept as the Trango 2, but it's just a smaller version. It lacks a full back door and uses the ultra light siliconized flysheet material. It's a good compromise and still saves weight. One tent I would buy over any other is a Hilleberg...you get the best space for the weight, but as with Bibler, you pay for it. For $450 you can get the Bibler Tempest, but I have never been very impressed by this tent and frankly find it to be a royal pain to set up. I would recommend that you go look at a bunch of tents, set them up, and get inside. You'll get a feel for your space needs and prevent getting a tent that is too small on the premise of saving weight.

Good luck...and have fun! :D

evanmfreeman

Aug 13, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll second the Hilleberg recommendation. I've had a Nallo for a while now, and it's been great.

evan

csproul

Aug 13, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #16 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My two cents on single walls: great for the weight, but only really usefull in dry places, the condensation gets to be a bit much in wetter places (i.e. Pacific NW) and also not as warm as double walls in really cold places (i.e. Alaska, Canada). I would not take mine back to Alaska and maybe not Washington, but it has served me very well in Colroado and California. Also you have to be a bit more careful with the ventilation with single walls (at least the ones I've used) as they don't breath as well and I have probelems with getting enough O2 when they were closed up in colder weather.

mnutz

Aug 13, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #17 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a Hilleberg for 3 years. It's the best tent I've ever used.

www.hilleberg.com

cjain

Aug 13, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #18 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If one of the major reasons to get the new tent is to save weight, look at the Bibler I-tent or it's less expensive clone, the Integral Designs MK1. Not only are these tents very light but they have a very small footprint, allowing you to use them in spots where larger tents won't fit.

The downside is that they don't have lots of room inside and would be less comfortable if you spent a long time in the tent. For "luxury" living I find I prefer a hoop-type design with doors and vestibules on BOTH ends. This allows you to put all your gear in one vestiuble and use your other vestibule for cooking, etc.

punk

Aug 13, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Integral Designs a Canuck version of the Bibler IMHO BETTER!!!! and a bit cheaper ( I have the Bible Eldorado 2 doors)
As for double wall tents, I will second the Notion for MH-Trango or TNF Mountain 25 (I have the TNF) BUT the TNF SUCKS as a 3 season.when you not snow camping. On Snow you can really dig a trench to compensate for the low entry way. For wind resistance and heavy snow falls except no substitute it is the strongest tent out there

Partner euroford

Aug 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #20 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll add another recomendation on the trango2. i've put mine through some misery and think it could survive about anything that any other tent would.

the full packed weight is a bit on the heavy side, but you can lug the main body and have your bro lug the fly and poles to spread the weight out.

graniteavenger

Aug 21, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #21 of 21 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exped is quite popular over in the UK. I have not used their tents, but I have sold and used most of their other bits and pieces (stuff bags, sleeping pads, etc) and have been quite pleased with their construction.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook