RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

poppasmearf

Aug 24, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Seattle Metro Area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Never been there, but from the looks of the RDB it seems like there are a lot of options in the metro area.?.?

I'll be in Seattle Thur-Tue and am looking to get out anywhere that is close.

Main purpose of the trip is to visit a friend (and fellow climber) in the hospital, so a day mission/couple hours here or there at the most--wont have any transpo either.

I was just gonna bring draws and a rope to keep things light...

Any suggestions?? Anyone want to show a hosen around??? Lemme know...

Wheres the good brews at, too? :wink:

gfw123

Aug 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Seattle Metro Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple indoor gyms, Vertical World (where I climb) and Stone Gardens. This week is looking a lot like rain, so maybe keep that in mind.

The closest place to go outside, that I know of, is Exit 32 & Exit 38. You can check out some of the climbs here:

http://www.deceptioncrags.com/

Exit 38 is 38 miles from downtown Seattle, Exit 32 is, of course, 32 miles from downtown. They are out I90 which travels at about 70-80 MPH. The first few miles are a 60mph limit but it goes up to 70mph pretty quick. Still, without wheels it might be hard.

I have not climbed at Exit 32, it tends to be harder then I can sport lead, but I have been to Exit 38 several times. There is one spot, Deception Wall area, that is only a 15minute hike at most from the paved road and parking lot. Other walls can be as far away as 1 hour hike.

--greg.

poppasmearf

Aug 25, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump....I mean...thanks Greg! Great website, especially for a smaller local area type crag.

Peace

gfw123

Aug 25, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, looks like you are in luck. The weather is now looking like party-cloudy Friday-Monday with temps in the mid-seventies.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/98121?lswe=98121&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared

But, this is the NorthWest, so you never know. :-)

The guide books that go with that web site are much better then the web site itself. I really like them. You might see if you can find a copy in a library or something. We have a brand new library here that is really cool. Very nice web presence and search engine:

http://www.spl.org/

--greg.

montanapup

Aug 25, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hit one of the neighborhoods if you want to go out to a bar or tavern. If you're of the jetset type, Belltown (north downtown) may be the place for you. If you're more crunchy, maybe Wallingford, Ballard, or yes, even Fremont.

Head to the UW rock wall if you are short on time and wheels, it's a great place to get some time in on manufactured rock. Otherwise I second the gyms.

Make sure you catch the Underground Tour. Really interesting.

Have fun! :P

Partner iclimbtoo

Aug 25, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out www.cascadeclimbers.com

I would recommend hitting Stone Gardens (www.stonegardens.com)

If you can get out to exit 38 or 32 though, there's some decent stuff out there! You can get a guidebook if you need one off of exit 31 in North Bend. Just exit off and drive straight through the lights til you hit main street. then turn right and off to the left is the pro ski shop. They'll have anything you'll need.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook