First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

d.ben
Deleted

Aug 17, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #26 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Re: French airport security doesn't like biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think it probably had more to do with being American than real saftey concerns. I doubt they would have taken that same biner from a fellow frenchman. Face it the world thinks we're all arrongant assholes. I think you know who to blame for that.

coloradosteve

Aug 17, 2004, 3:24 PM
Post #27 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Face it the world thinks we're all arrongant assholes. I think you know who to blame for that.

Probably all the arrogant assholes that travel overseas.

Steve

ecocliffchick

Aug 17, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #28 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've had problems with carrying on a trad rack, even travelling within Canada (toronto to vancouver). What's funny is that my keychain is a biner, and it has a swiss army knife on it, and that made it through security - but if you have a biner with a nut on it, that's a weapon.

Maybe I'll just attach my keys to the trad rack the next time and call it my keychain.

treehugger

Aug 17, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #29 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe I'll just attach my keys to the trad rack the next time and call it my keychain.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. I get this vision of a clown-car type scenario where someone just whips a full trad rack out of their hip pocket and presents it to airport security.

sarcat

Aug 17, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #30 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before I travel overseas I make a complete list of all baggage contents with a retail price for each item. I'll call the airline and discuss their policy if part or all gets lost and record who/when I called. I had my Hilti drill stolen out of a bag and because I did the above the airline purchased me a new one.

As for the French specifically had they not given us the Statue of Liberty I'd agree with

In reply to:
There's only one thing wrong with France - it's above sea level!

skinnyjim

Aug 17, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #31 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bring a nut tool it might be considered a shank...

friktion

Aug 17, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #32 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not just the French.

I normally carry the key sized Swiss Army key chain knife, maybe 3" total handle and extended blade. Leaving O'hare not even a sniff, leaving from SFI they pulled me to the side and read me the riot act about the knife and compromising security all this on a 1:30a.m. flight. I was to tired to protest, having left at 4:30 the previous morning and not having slept. The short of it is they took it, but the retards let me take on 2 Screwdrivers in my carry on. I can appreciate safer flying, I just want consistency on what we can and can't bring.

Friktion

kalcario

Aug 17, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #33 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Because your climbing gear is much more expensive/important than anything else. As long as you have your wallet and clothes on your back, your good to go.*

Go where? You're gonna continue your trip without your checked luggage? No, you wait at the airport, or in a hotel, till they find it, in which case your climbing gear is useless. And they're not gonna let you get on the plane with metallic climbing gear anyway, no matter how expensive/important it is.

vertical_reality

Aug 17, 2004, 6:13 PM
Post #34 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a very easy solution to this problem. Pack all your gear in your checked luggage. Make sure the people you are climbing with also have gear.

cindarella

Aug 18, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #35 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Everyone,

I live in christchurch, new zealand, and just recently flew up to auckland for work and took some of my climbing gear with too (yes it was in my carry-on luggage too... naughty cinda) the airport security here arent quite as fussy as they are overseas but they still questioned me about the biners figure 8 ropes and harness i had in my bag. i dont think they were too happy about it but let me through anyway. hehe and then when i walked thru the metal detector it went off ofcourse so they searched me with that hand held metal detector thing and it went off so many times!! of course i went bright red and had to try and explain all that as well... Got some dodgy looks from people standing close by... :shock: I think they let me through coz i looked too sweet and innocent... Little did they know... :twisted: mwahahahaha...

reno

Aug 18, 2004, 6:51 AM
Post #36 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Face it the world thinks we're all arrongant assholes. I think you know who to blame for that.

Lance Armstrong? Give the guy a break... he's just trying to win.

jcshaggy

Aug 18, 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #37 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We live in dangerous times-don't you think biners look like detonators!

ecocliffchick

Aug 18, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #38 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go where? You're gonna continue your trip without your checked luggage? No, you wait at the airport, or in a hotel, till they find it, in which case your climbing gear is useless.

Maybe you'd hang around the airport or a hotel waiting for your luggage, but I'd have my gear and be out climbing.

omeier

Aug 18, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #39 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also been leary about bringing gear on board. I won't put my pack in the belly as is. If they can F-up a hard suit case, then my pack with lots of compression straps is doomed. I've wondered what people would say if they ever noticed the words bomb pack stitched on the side.

rockgoat

Aug 24, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #40 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AirFrance lost my bags for 5 day. Thank God it was on the way home. I will never fly into Paris again. It took me 48 hours to get home because of all their screwing around. That airport is a mess. No wonder why the one terminal fell down. :twisted:

tallnik

Aug 25, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #41 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Air France seems to have a higher percentage of lost luggage than most airlines... Same with Air Canada.

I avoid flying those two airlines for that reason: every second Air Canada flight I've ever taken they've lost my luggage, and Air France, although I've never flown it, both times when friend's of mine joined me in Europe, they lost my luggage.

Someone mentioned having an inventory of your gear and talking with the airline about lost luggage. GOOD IDEA!!!

Good luck...
Nik

leinosaur

Aug 27, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #42 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go where? You're gonna continue your trip without your checked luggage? No, you wait at the airport, or in a hotel, till they find it, in which case your climbing gear is useless. And they're not gonna let you get on the plane with metallic climbing gear anyway, no matter how expensive/important it is.

wait at the airport? Hotel?

You tell them where you're going and they deliver it! Don't waste your time waiting on their mistake . . .

Also, if you're checking expensive gear, INSURE IT! Not everybody sticks several grand worth of scratched-up metal in their luggage, which is why you don't get much for it unless you insure it or, as somebody else said, at least give them a list ahead of time; you have to have some kind of record of expensive things being in there. Otherwise, unscrupulous travelers would lose a rolex every time they flew . . .

By the way, for the jingoistic anti-frienchies who have displayed their ignorance in this thread:

the French didn't just send the Statue of Liberty,

they played a major part in our revolution from England!

to-wit:

A decisive intervention of the French navy, under Admiral de Grasse, drove the British Navy from Chesapeake Bay, and trapped the Redcoats at Yorktown, Virginia. Rochambeau joined forces with General Washington on a forced march to Yorktown. Additional French troops and heavy siege guns were landed near Yorktown to help lay siege to the British enclave. Total French army and navy forces grew to 19,000. As the fall harvest was completed and the news of the march of our French allies spread, the American Army swelled to almost 9,000.

Fifteen Redcoats were to perish for every one American soldier before the British surrendered in that final battle at Yorktown, ending the American Revolutionary War. The French casualties at Yorktown were 50% greater than those of the Americans. The French documents show that more than 2,000 French foot soldiers gave their lives in the fight for American liberty, and if sailors and other support are included, over 4,000 of the French perished at our side. And just as General Eisenhower allowed General DeGaulle to liberate Paris, General Rochambeau declined the sword of Cornwallis and allowed General Washington claim our liberty at Yorktown.

Let us also remember that the American Revolution had many allies, allies from every major European country, of every continent, and of every race. It was the French who coordinated with the Spanish and Dutch and lead that allied and very diverse army and navy under the French flag to help liberate the US. There is no question that we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to the French, and it is time that we show our gratitude by honoring their sacrifices by making the entire Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route a national historic trail. Britain may have fathered America, but France was the midwife that brought America into life.

(excerpted from the Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route Newsletter No. 24 (which I found by Googling French Funding American Revolution)) http://www.ctssar.org/revroad/news24.htm

peace y'all
leinosaur

climbin_moo

Aug 27, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #43 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had US airlines make me check climbing gear as well. Before 9/11, for the same reasons. You can make a metal whip or brass knucks. Its that bad to check them though.

roseraie

Aug 27, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #44 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Air France lost my luggage, too. (After living in Paris, I flew home for Christmas, and they lost my bag with all my clothes and presents for my family. I got the back back a week after Christmas.)

I flew recently with my whole trad rack in my carry-on (it was a return flight, and I'd had a major brain fart).

Search guy: What is all this?
Me: Climbing gear.
Search guy: *rifling through the gear* Yeah, um, well, do you have any of those bangy thing?
Me: Excuse me?
Search guy: Those bangy things... the spikes... that they hammer into the rock.
Me: Umm, no, I don't have any pitons.
Search guy: Oh okay, have a nice flight.

r6driver

Aug 27, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #45 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

je ne le comprende pas. c'est stupide

hee hee hee hah hah hah

bubbatolius

Aug 27, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #46 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think it is just the French, I doubt the Israelis or a number of other countries would let you carry on that gear...

On a funny note, my sister in law carried on an ice axe onto a play 5 years ago and no one batted an eye, times have changed.

kennycardiscrazy

Aug 27, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #47 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T A K E A B O A T

vicum

Aug 27, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #48 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="leinosaur"]
In reply to:

the French didn't just send the Statue of Liberty,

they played a major part in our revolution from England!

Let us also remember that the American Revolution had many allies, allies from every major European country, of every continent, and of every race. It was the French who coordinated with the Spanish and Dutch and lead that allied and very diverse army and navy under the French flag to help liberate the US. There is no question that we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to the French, and it is time that we show our gratitude by honoring their sacrifices by making the entire Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route a national historic trail. Britain may have fathered America, but France was the midwife that brought America into life.

WWII wiped the slate clean and then some, thank you.

~Arnold

jstone

Aug 27, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #49 of 49 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

F--- THE FRENCH! and a few others too...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook