RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

musicman

Sep 20, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Utah Buildering? The Best?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so, buildering has become quite a craze if you ask me, for some, its the best they can get, for others its just another sub-sport of climbing. Well, when me and my friends can't get up the canyon for numerous reasons we go buildering (if its past sunset). Well, if any of you have been to Utah, i'm sure you've noticed the numerous churches (how couldn't you :lol:) anyways, lots of them were built in the 70's and have the pieces of stone stuck in the walls which make for extremely crimpy problems. super fun, then you also get the steeples that are like that all the way to the top, talk about high balling! need to get a pic of my friend Johnny at the top of one. The newer churches are starting to shy away from the style of buildings but still have plenty of things to climb. The riverwoods outdoor mall thing (in provo on university ave) has some great potential, make sure to go late though! anyways, how's your state/area rate for the buildering experience, assuming you acually are into that kinda thing; its better than nothing!

climber4life

Sep 21, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Re: Utah Buildering? The Best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got places like that around. One church in Bristol has acctually been converted into a centre! The routes follow up the walls themselves for some MAJOR overhangs. Also, try bridging up walls that are quite close together. Then hang off at the top for some pull-ups.

over_the_hill

Sep 21, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Union building at the U of U. South side is sandstone, and is good for crimping. It is a great traverse. I do know of others but they are "illegal" to do. Its best that they stay quiet, or the police will catch us one day.

lordshockspeare

Sep 21, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've dappled in a bit of buildering here in SLC. Mostly on some of my rich freinds houses because they have lots of fancy rock cemented into there walls/houses. I've even come up with some awesome roof problems and of course cool mantles.... what is much more hardcore however, which I'm sure is going to catch on in a big way, is Urban Dry-tooling! Which has the added advantage of scaring off anyone out to hassle you about climbing on their building!
Anyway there is lots of buildering potential downtown, one of these days I'll have to bring my shoes to that mormon temple square.
Peace

musicman

Sep 22, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, downtown Provo has some really sweet stuff too, its all old "historic" Provo so they weren't into the whole metal/marble building craze. Yeah, some cops/people will really hassle you. We were climbing a church one night and an old man pulled up in his car and said "what are you guys doing?" and my friend just blurts out "climbing" and the old guy just looks at us, then the wall, then back at us and says "well, good luck to ya'" and drives off. coolest old guy ever!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook