RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lordshockspeare

Sep 23, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

New Utah Guidebook?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was down in Maple Canyon the last weekend and many folks were saying that there was some new all-encompassing guidebook coming out for what I guess is Central Utah. Anyone have any info? like authors, areas it will cover and of course when it may be coming out? or if it just another myth like the new Smith Rock guide.
Thanks anyone.

brianinslc

Sep 23, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Utah Guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was down in Maple Canyon the last weekend and many folks were saying that there was some new all-encompassing guidebook coming out for what I guess is Central Utah. Anyone have any info? like authors, areas it will cover and of course when it may be coming out? or if it just another myth like the new Smith Rock guide.
Thanks anyone.

Ask "triassic"...

Supposedly going to cover AF, Rock Canyon and Maple.

I'd like to see a guide just for Maple, personally.

-Brian in SLC

over_the_hill

Sep 23, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An update for L.C.C. and B.C.C. would be in order too. The current guidebook out for the area is just a re-print. I don't think anyone could improve on the Ruckman format, just to update it would be sooooooo nice. Are the Ruckmans still in the area, and would it be worth it to them to do it again??????

downgrader

Sep 23, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

new guidebook is supposedly in the works. the folks down in provo are doing most of it, but there will obviously be a lot of imput from SLC climbers who had a part in developing these areas. the book will include areas from american fork, all the way down to maple canyon and anything inbetween. i've been hearing 'sometime this fall', so let's keep our fingers crossed.
brian, i have to agree w/ you that a maple-only book would be a great idea, and then just lump AF, rock canyon, santaquin, etc. in their own book.
BCC and LCC too? are you crazy? this thing is going to be big enough and w/ all that climbing in those two canyons alone, they certainly need their own book.

over_the_hill

Sep 23, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BCC and LCC too? are you crazy? this thing is going to be big enough and w/ all that climbing in those two canyons alone, they certainly need their own book.
Sorry, I wasn't saying it had to be included with the other guidebook coming out this fall (as you referred to). I was just saying that it needs to be updated. I agree, put BCC and stuff north in one book, and Ferguson south to Lone peak in another. Lord only knows that the current wasatch north is a monster book as far as guidebooks go. Splitting it would be a good idea. I think maple should be its own book as well.

brianinslc

Sep 23, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An update for L.C.C. and B.C.C. would be in order too. The current guidebook out for the area is just a re-print. I don't think anyone could improve on the Ruckman format, just to update it would be sooooooo nice. Are the Ruckmans still in the area, and would it be worth it to them to do it again??????

Ran into Brett and Stuart last fall...I think Brett is still in CO and Stuart still in SLC? Still around, though...appears they meet in the middle sometimes....

http://mtncommunity.org/dc/user_files/608.jpg

That's Brett leadin' ET or the Cobra in the Fisher Towers (right of the trail to Ancient Art). Stuart out of picture belaying.

Anyhoo...stopped and chatted with Stuart a tad (Brett was busy!). Re-print was kind of a bummer as the original blue lines were lost, so, was a scan job (still turned out ok, except now the cover doesn't match and isn't Frank as belay slave...ha ha...).

I don't know if there's been enough route development to justify a new guidebook to both BCC and LCC. And...yeah, that's another I'd like to see split into two as well. Current one is the benchmark for guidebooks to be judged by, but, adding any more routes and/or areas will make it into an even bigger tome...just too much for one guide.

There doesn't seem to be any rush for a new guide, or, impetus. What might work is an interim guide to both canyons. Be a good dumping ground for new stuff if nothing else. Would still rely on the current Wasatch guide.

-Brian in SLC

musicman

Sep 23, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thta would be a sweet guide book, i'd definetly buy one that encompassed central utah. that would be SO cool, anyways, i posted this a while ago and figured it might answer a few questions of point you in the right direction.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=66638

rockprodigy

Sep 23, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LCC doesn't need any updating, and I don't know why anyone would bother climbing in BCC....

brianinslc

Sep 23, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LCC doesn't need any updating, and I don't know why anyone would bother climbing in BCC....

BCC has some great climbing! Elitist snobs need not apply...ha ha...

LCC has seen a bunch of activity up canyon (Hellgate area and Devil's Castle) and a few new things here and there.

I think both spots prime for an interim guide. Or, just dump the info here in the route database.

-Brian in SLC

rockprodigy

Sep 23, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hellgate...that's a good one Brian.

What we really need is a friggin' coffee table book on Zion...who's gonna get on that? There's probably 50 on Yosemite, wtf?

brianinslc

Sep 24, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hellgate...that's a good one Brian.

What we really need is a friggin' coffee table book on Zion...who's gonna get on that? There's probably 50 on Yosemite, wtf?

Dunno 'bout a coffee table book...but...talk to "bird"...

Be fun to see a semi comprehensive guidebook to Zion...geez, maybe that dangle guy could kludge one together...he's sorta local... Plus, that way, everyone could sue him for publishing their route topos, not the other way around...(ha ha...don't shoot me, Ron...)...

Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook