RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

billypilgrim

Sep 27, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Anyone using a Slackdog
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have read about a device made by Scott Balcom called a slackdog. Basically a jumar for webbing from what I understand. Anyone using one of these or know wher you can get one.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 27, 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone using a Slackdog [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the slackdog; nope, I haven't used them. But I think www.notforclimbing.com has his slackjack and might be able to help you out with the slack dog.

I've yet to hear what it actually consists of except that it acts as a 2:1 pulley system.

If it is what you say "a jumar for webbing" then it would function similarly as a typical cam buckle (slide locks for webbing). We've sold them for a while for lots of neat modifications for slackline tensioning or special capabilities. There are lots of places to get those, including on my site. If it isn't the same, I appologize, I've yet to see one or hear it described.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 27, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coincidentally, I just set up a line about five minutes ago using one. Got it directly from Scott Balcom himself, but I'm not sure where it is available for sale. PM slackdaddy, he should be able to help you.

Did you want pics of how it's used? I can go get some...

Partner coldclimb

Sep 27, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh. Here's how it works. What it does is gives you a bite on the tensioning end of whatever you use to tension (in my case a slack jack) so you are able to set up another system, essentially doubling your MA in a friction-free world if set up as I have it here. Correct me iff I'm wrong on the math. ;)

I believe Scott is working on one that will be good for actually slacking on... which would mean no more knots in the line! :D

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=40733

billypilgrim

Sep 27, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thx for the info, and pics. I have a slackjack as well and I have been adding a simple 3 to one the end with binners. The slackdog look pretty convienent

So you can't actually use it to replace the clove hitch to attach to the line, but the new version he is working one will be able to do this?? Is that right? I guess strength is the issue. Any idea when the new one will be available?

Partner coldclimb

Sep 28, 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you can't actually use it to replace the clove hitch to attach to the line, but the new version he is working one will be able to do this?? Is that right? I guess strength is the issue. Any idea when the new one will be available?

True, and yes it's the strength issue. No idea when the new one will be out, but the following pic is me surfing hard on his prototype (it's on the end behind me). The webbing the line was tied off to broke, but the new slack dog did awesome. :)

http://www.morffed.com/climb/smith/john02.jpg

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook