RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cragman

May 21, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #1 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

doubts about partner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's a strange situation,
I started climbing about 4 months ago, a friend from work got me out on the rock and at the time for all I knew he could have told me he was a world class climber and I would not know any better. the thing is he never really gave me instructions, he just went up, came down and said go, of course gloating on the fact I couldn't climb. now I have been around other climbers, read a book or two and some of the things he has said don't make any sense at all. he knows nothing about ratings, routes and doesn't care much about safety, actually lately the only way he stomps me on a route is he'll take off without safety and if I won't he laughs like "I can do it" My question is, did I just pair up with someone who doesn't know jack and has some natural climbing abilities or is this normal for some climbers?
I would appreciate any feedback

---Sorry, double post---

[ This Message was edited by: cragman on 2002-05-20 20:40 ]

Partner iclimbtoo

May 21, 2002, 3:46 AM
Post #2 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

doubts about partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NO WAY DUDE!!! Don't Jeopordize your safety for his amusement. Smart climbers aren't like that. I think that since it seems like you are achieving some knowledge about climbing, enlighten your buddy and let him know, in Lamen's terms, that he's being a jackass climber. Also, make sure you let him know what he's doing wrong and why. If you need help on explaining things, PM anyone on here, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help. From what I know though, if you PM Passthepitonspete he will grace you with some definite enlightening knowledge. Good luck with it!

floof

May 21, 2002, 4:14 AM
Post #3 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should thank your friend from work for getting you involved is such a great pursuit as climbing. If you think the way you like to climb no longer meshes with the way he likes to climb, maybe it's time for the bird to leave the nest.

No reason to part on a bad note. He did, after all, get you started. Climbing partners can be hard to find. And climbing partners that you really enjoy climbing with are even harder to find. But be patient and don't settle. Your safety is too valuable.

In the meantime, boulder, traverse right above the ground, mingle, read, buy cams....

gravitylimit

May 21, 2002, 4:23 AM
Post #4 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man I am big on safety, I can't stand when a climber leads someone to believe they are better because they will do a climb without pro. I am also in the colorado springs area, if you need someone to get on the rock with send me a PM, always glad to do something else than bouldering

Jason

gravitylimit

May 21, 2002, 4:25 AM
Post #5 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, good pic at the cathedral, I did that climb also. good description on the route.

hang_man

May 21, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #6 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'm one of those mad climbers?? Although I do solo at times, but when climbing with someone I won't neglect the aspect of safety, at least I don't own his life
it would be wise to tell him about that

pushfurther

May 21, 2002, 6:20 AM
Post #7 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:We all learn through trial and error and the patience of our teachers.

couldn't have said it better.

cragman, there are climbers out there who do disregard their safety and the safety of others. if you think what your partner is doing is wrong or unsafe, let him know, but don't bring it up in a way that would make him think you're attacking him.

bkpkrn

May 21, 2002, 6:52 AM
Post #8 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds to me like he enjoys it for what it is, a dangerous rush. Thats fine by me, as long as he isn't endangering others or suing someplace he fell. However, you should encourage him to change his ways when he climbs with you, and/or find another partner.
n8

duskerhu

May 21, 2002, 7:02 AM
Post #9 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey cragman, floof said it correct, "partners can be hard to find"...

If you value your health and life, ask him to show you the safety aspects (ie, checking harnesses, tie in, biner locked with rope through it and the belay device - you know what I'm refering to), if he can't, won't, or gives you a hassle about it, tell him you value your life more than he does his. Grab your gear and walk away.

Climbing is NOT about cheating death... You obviously know that or you wouldn't have posted this topic. Take your own safety in your own hands! Find a safety minded partner!

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb On!

duskerhu

newbieclimber

May 21, 2002, 7:23 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a mentor should be teaching you everything there is to know about safety and being extra careful climbing with you. since you now know he isnt safe and needlessly exposed you to danger you shouldnt climb with him again. it sounds like youre lucky to be alive.

climbinganne

May 21, 2002, 10:44 AM
Post #11 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the reasons we study history, is to never repeat the mistakes of the past...

dougiec

May 21, 2002, 1:37 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll have a real hard time keeping up with him when you've just broken both your legs after trying to copy him. Carrying on like that is a lose lose situation.

Sounds like you're not even enjoying climbing with him anymore. Either way, don't put up with it. Start trying to get out with other climbers.

Suppose the only real problem is that you've got to work with him so you can't just tell him where to go....

Dougie

rockjock04

May 21, 2002, 2:25 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like my algebra 2 teacher. Just does it and expects you to know it.

Partner tim

May 21, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are not comfortable and are not enjoying climbing with this guy, what exactly is the point? I'd suggest you find a partner who is a better fit.

I have climbed with people who climbed 4 number grades harder, and 4 number grades easier, than I did at any given time, and as long as we were safe and having a good time, I did not notice the difference. If the guy feels like you are being a drag, then he should also be looking for a partner that is better suited to climbing with him.

It doesn't sound like you guys are a good fit. It is much more fun to climb with someone who sucks but makes good company, than to climb with a ropegun who is a prick. Of course, the best of all worlds is to climb with someone of similar skill and preferences route-wise, and push each other while having a good time doing it.

jdcox_9

May 21, 2002, 3:47 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were you I'd lose the dude. NOt only is he sacrificing safety, but he just sounds like a cocky jerk (at least from what you wrote).

stevematthys

May 22, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #16 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you dont trust him, dont climb with him

miagi

May 22, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #17 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pride can kill you...remember that. If he is being unsafe as you are saying, either do not climb with him at all, or climb with him but you setup the anchors and so forth to a safer measure. Don't jeopradize your own safety.

cragman

May 22, 2002, 3:51 AM
Post #18 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds unanimous. I guess I have learned from him but the whole safety issue is too important for me. By no means am I trying to be rude about it, I just want to learn, get confident and climb harder, I just want to stay alive while I doit. Thanx for the advice everyone

rock_climbin_06

May 22, 2002, 10:06 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little late now that he made the decision, but you can add one more to your vote of losing your partner. He is a little too "daring" which can ultimately mean the same thing as stupid. It is way better to climb safe than to die because of the 15 minutes you may have spent checking your gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook