RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner holdplease2

Sep 29, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #1 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Truck Caps for Camping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all -

Until now, I've road tripped in a Chevy truck with no cap. With winter coming on, I'm considering buying a cap for camping in my truck.

I'm interested in hearing what you think I should look for or avoid.

Anything you like or dislike about your setup? Any manufactureres you would recommend or warn against? Any features you like or wish you had?

Thanks for your help,

-Kate.

wbclimb

Sep 29, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Re: Truck Caps for Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I drive a 94 z71 and bought (after careful thought...and sale) a Leer top for it when I got back from Aconcagua in 98. The top hasn't been off since. I got the Leer as it was thicker than the others, had a sliding side windows that didn't go over my exhaust and provided a sliding and drop down cab window. My cab doesn't have one but hey it works great for venting. The only thing is to put carpet on the roof or you will find some serious moisture. I also use the double handle lock so if one side fails...you know redundent, equal etc...
I have had 2 kayaks and me on top with no problems and even carried 6 sheets and a bunch of beams for my woody on top with no problems either. I reccomend the j clamps as there is no drilling needed to hold it on.

therealbovine

Sep 29, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #3 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot depends on what you want to spend. I'd recommend a fibergalss shell, as opposed to an aluminum one. They are stronger, will carry a roof rack with a larger load and they hold there value better.

A back door with (2) lockable handles, (one on each side) is better than the single lockable handle in the middle. Its harder to break into.

Side windows you can actually open (like the rear door) are great to access gear w/o having to climb in the bed, but is an additional expence.

An operable window between the cab and shell is nice also, helps with ventilation and access whjile driving.

Make sure you can rig your tail-gate to lock. Most tail gates do not lock, and most shells don't fit well enough to keep a thief from forcing the tailgate open, even with the shell door locked!

If you want to go all the way...check out the sweet rigs from flip pak ( I think its flippak.com or flippac.com. They have a shell with a pop top for deluxe road tripping!

Best of luck!

crotch

Sep 29, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #4 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the tallest one you can find. Headroom is key and it gives you more loft-building options.

There are several options for how the shell mates with the cab of the truck. Whichever you choose, it's nice to be able to crawl through from the front to the back to get something you forgot, or to keep a low profile in more populated areas. My shell doesn't have a front wall, but mates to the cab with a rubber gasket-thing. So far, no problems with weather getting in.

Carpeting is nice. You can velcro directly onto the carpet, which makes for easy curtains.

edit to add -

Depending on what you had for dinner, sliding windows with a bug screen are useful for fresh air. If they open up near your head, even better.

wlderdude

Sep 30, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #5 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother made one for his girlfiend's Ranger. He welded a frame out of 1/2" black pipe and found a canvas tarp to put over it. It has that old army vehicle look. It was cool. The canvas was old, and therefore not as waterproof as planned, though. The fuel economy suffered, so she took the cover off the rack and just put a plastic tarp over the stuff in the bed.

Last summer I loaned his some of my gear and it rained several inches, virtually flooding the truck bed. My climbing gear survived but a lot of stuff got ruined. I wish she had kept the camper tarp up. I hate drying out gear.

I don't know if that helped.
Be aware that nylon tents are almost always warmer than metal and glass vehicles, especially trucks. If fuel econmy is an issue, you might want something easy to remove for around town usage.

timstich

Sep 30, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #6 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really want a camper shell as well. Friends of mine who had them also suggested getting the models with twin locks on the rear window as they are more difficult to break into. Bolt a strong box into your bed for valuables. Make it big enough to accomodate your rack.

pancaketom

Sep 30, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #7 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is constructed sort of like an RV, with a wood frame and aluminum on top and fake wood on the inside. It has side by side back doors (no tailgate), and wired in 12v electric lights inside. It also has a sliding window to the cab.

I like the fact that it is somewhat insulated and doesn't drip inside. It also takes a lot of sun to make it really hot inside. I like the double back doors, as I can just open one easily to grab stuff or to jump in to sleep. Not having a tailgate sucks for sitting and cooking though. I had a little table thing I hooked on the bumper, but now that I have a bike rack on the back, I don't use that anymore.

My biggest complaint is that the camper shell is even with the top of the cab. It would be nice if it went up a little higher. Even a few inches would let me sit up completely in back.

The lights inside are nice, but with LED headlamps and rechargeable batteries (and a weak truck battery) I use them a lot less than I used to.

The sliding window is nice. I rarely climb through completely, but reach through both directions to grab stuff, and also to turn on the radio.

If you plan on camping in hot and humid places, make sure you have the maximum amount of screened windows.

Make sure that you get a waterproof seal all around the edge. I eventually caulked mine, which keeps out most of the water.

A friend had a plastic topper, he said it sucked.

usmc_2tothetop

Sep 30, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #8 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This might be wishful thinking but Where are you from and what size is your truck. I'm selling a cap.

murf

Sep 30, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #9 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some sort of shell lining is key to avoiding condensation/dripping from the ceiling.

Integrated interior light ( hardwired/no batteries ).

Lockable from the inside.

Sliders with screens the great, although some swear by having one side lift.

7 years on Snugtop with gasket mate, never a drop inside.

Personally I really like Snugtop shells.

abouttopeel

Sep 30, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #10 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check these out for more versatility:

Wildernest
or
http://www.flippac.com/

Partner holdplease2

Sep 30, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you guys so much for your thoughts so far. I'm really looking forward to this and don't want to screw up...

Pancaketom - you know how badass it is that you have wood paneling inside of your truck cap? Thats good style!

I met a guy who had a skylight bubble...a big one like you might find in your bathroom ceiling...which he had installed in the roof of his truck cap. That was also very good style...lighting and extra headroom!

USMC - I'm in California w/an '03 Chevy 2500 crew cab short bed...

-Kate.

crotch

Sep 30, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #12 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm really looking forward to this and don't want to screw up...

Don't forget your NRA sticker. :wink:

Murf- How do you lock yours from the inside?

Partner holdplease2

Sep 30, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #13 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Crotch - Leer makes a "browning special edition" truck cap with a lock box fer yer guns and browning logos on the side...also comes with a 'stylish fleece vest' and a big spotlight, i'm assuming for poaching deer on the road or whatever.

It includes a "14mm rechargable ballistic flashlight" whatever the heck that is. Sounds dangerous.

Yeee haaawww!

:)

-Kate.

crotch

Sep 30, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #14 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, I imagine this one

http://www.nrastore.com/...ges/detail/10819.jpg

would be quite effective

In reply to:
a big spotlight, i'm assuming for poaching deer on the road or whatever.

Or perhaps blinding them city slickers that wandered on in to your camp, so as you can make em squeeeeel.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 30, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #15 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right-on...I'm sure I could install a dome skylight.

And with just the right modifications, I could play turret-gunner whilst a friend drives, just like my gran pappy did in the war...

Wallress? You up for pilot duty? Theres an ice-cold can of Diet Coke in it fer ya! Two, iffin we bag sumpin' big. ;)

Oooooohhh! We can get some of those white plastic amrikan fags, I mean flags flags!, one for each rear window!

Redneck and proud of it,

-Kate.

pancaketom

Oct 4, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #16 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to add that mine came with a gun rack on the side (along one of the windows). It works great for my walking stick and an ice axe (glacier tromping axe, not vertical tool).

forbin

Oct 4, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #17 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Make sure you can rig your tail-gate to lock. Most tail gates do not lock, and most shells don't fit well enough to keep a thief from forcing the tailgate open, even with the shell door locked!

My Ranger didn't come with a locking tailgate so i bought an aftermarket handle called a Pop n Lock. I highly recommend it. Also, i put a deadbolt on the inside of my cap to increase security when sleeping in sketchy locations.

iamthewallress

Oct 15, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #18 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Right-on...I'm sure I could install a dome skylight.

And with just the right modifications, I could play turret-gunner whilst a friend drives, just like my gran pappy did in the war...

Wallress? You up for pilot duty? Theres an ice-cold can of Diet Coke in it fer ya! Two, iffin we bag sumpin' big. ;)

Oooooohhh! We can get some of those white plastic amrikan fags, I mean flags flags!, one for each rear window!

Redneck and proud of it,

-Kate.

:lol: :lol:

I just read this.

The plastic american fags in the truck turret reminds me of the San Francisco cop bit in Eddie Murphy Raw...

I don't think that you'd want to carry a loaded firearm while I drove your monster truck down a narrow windy road...with or w/o Diet Coke.

Anyway, sounds like you ordered something already. May the nights that you wake up in a panic feeling like you're trapped in a box be few...

forbin

Oct 15, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #19 of 19 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

:lol: :lol:

I just read this.

The plastic american fags in the truck turret reminds me of the San Francisco cop bit in Eddie Murphy Raw...

pull over, pull over...is this a gun?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook