RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

in2climbing

Oct 5, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1028 views)
Shortcut

New gym costs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody know what kind of investment it takes to open a new climbing gym? :?:

kobaz

Oct 5, 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Re: New gym costs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym that I go to has a 40 foot high wall thats about 30 feet wide using the impact climbing surface from www.ep-usa.com. It was about $200,000 for the whole bit including the steelwork for support.

You can build a plywood gym for much cheaper, but this wall is seriously the best type of indoor wall I've been on.

kobaz

Oct 5, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He also has 3000 square feet of bouldering, no idea how much that was.

The wall is one thing, and then your going to be shelling out a few thousand for holds.

easton

Oct 5, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't around for the construction of our gym, but I heard about a lot of it. It will depend on how big of a space you have. Think about rent/purchase of a building, lumber for the construction, T-nuts, holds, wall paint (textured or not), and how you are going to set up the anchors. We had to drill through a block and brick wall to secure our anchors. Some places I've seen just chain over the steel rafters (but I don't recommend this). We also had an engineer come out and review our plans and construction for strength and durability. We also have it inspected each year along with all out harnesses and hardware. Also think about how you will pad your floor, shredded tires, foam rubber, etc.

I go to a gym where they drilled holes into the concrete walls of a grain silo and pressed threaded rounds into the holes for the holds. Pretty neat idea and probably kept cost down, but increased installation time and effort.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook