RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

microbdcamalot

Oct 19, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

competition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just reading a post regarding this topic, and now i cannot find it so im starting one.....I'd totally fly out for a short period of time to have a comp. Whats the deal with this, anyone got a slackline comp ?

areyoumydude

Oct 20, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Re: competition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of competition? Walking the longest line, who can stay on the longest. Tricks? Sounds like fun.

microbdcamalot

Oct 21, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anything, just cool people slacklining climbign smoking lots of pot n drinking, maybe campign hahahaha

eljay

Oct 22, 2004, 3:51 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that something similar to a competition could be awesome. I think the best part of a competition is that it brings a bunch of cool people together who like doing the same thing. Plus you get to see a lot of cool ideas and different styles which motivates and pushes your own slacklining. I think some people will naturally resist the idea of a competition because they don't see it as a competitive thing, that it is more personal. I wouldn't personally mind some competition, but I think workshops (on setting up a highline, different tightening systems, different tricks, ways to mount, etc), games (by the way any of you have any fun slackline games, I can think of gladiator-two people on the line; add-do a trick, next person does yours and adds one; chase, chase someone on a line or network of lines), and just hanging out would be even better and attract more people. However, I suppose some people may be more inclined to come if they can compete, but I don't think that is true for the majority. I think that just a big group of slackers getting together would be great, perhaps a natural spot would be at a climbing comp. Or maybe just at a cool climbing area. There are usually quite a few people who slackline at juggling festivals as well, I always set up a few lines and am surprised at how many people are into it. Note, no I am not just a circus kid, I just happen to both climb/slackline, and juggle/unicycle/etc.

Another vote for a slackline festival/competition/get-together.
-lebn

johnson6102002

Oct 26, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are usually quite a few people who slackline at juggling festivals as well, I always set up a few lines and am surprised at how many people are into it. Note, no I am not just a circus kid, I just happen to both climb/slackline, and juggle/unicycle/etc.
-lebn
sure your not part of the circus? u into tight rope walking and unicycling on a tight rope because then i would know for sure

sounds cool though

Partner coldclimb

Oct 27, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've thought about it, and I really just can't see how you could make a slackline comp any fun. I'm always game for a bonfire and slacklining though.

grimace

Oct 29, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #7 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Competition is a natural evolution for slacklining. Look at skateboarding flatlander biking, snowboarding, etc. They all started w/ people just dinkin' around having a good time. As time went on individuals started continually pushing the limits and coming up w/ new ideas, new styles, and new tricks. Next thing you know there is a comp. The confusion lies in how one goes about judging a freestyle sport. Well its been done before and it'll be done countless more times.

I think where people get confused is bunching slacklining all together into one pursute. There are several distinct schools: high line, long line, and freestyle. Obviously high and long tend to go together and freestyle can be incorporated into both but as a whole, those of us who are pushing the freestyle/trick end of slacklining are practicing between 25'-50'. This is the arena that we'll see comps popping up.

I think the most logical spot for comps starting out is @ climbing comps. Just as gyms will have dyno comps w/in a reg. comp, slackline comps could be incorporated. You could even do audience applause to judge the thing to start out. Battle style. Ea. person gets 2 min on the line, audience chooses and the winner goes to the next round.

So someone in this forum involved w/ climbing comps should get things started. I think it will be great fun. See ya.

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 29, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #8 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just as a tidbit, our local gym does already have slackline comps as part of their climbing comps.

It isn't agressively judged to my knowledge, more of just showcase your skills and be included for random door prizes.

I've also heard of slackline comps based on who can make the crowd cheer the most (downside is popularity having influence over skills).

Either way, I might go to them to watch, but the idea of competition in slacking just goes against my grain. If they want to catch up later and just slack, I'm there. Instead, we do workshops, a place to hone your skills (level up) and showcase moves - I think everyone really enjoys them.

jb

Nov 3, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #9 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Note, no I am not just a circus kid, I just happen to both climb/slackline, and juggle/unicycle/etc.

haha, dude, i do all that stuff too...you know if you take the tire off the unicycle you can ride on the line.....i made it across a twenty footer one time.....yea, i would totally be down for a slackline comp, even it it's as low key as just like 15 guys hanging out doing multiple lines showin off their skills on short lines and long lines.....i think it would be a great atmosphere for pushing your limits in areas like line length and trick difficulty....'twould be tight....as long as i'm not the one organizin........unfortunately i don't know too many guys in my area who slackline.....we all just started cause corbin was doing it and now there are like 5 guys who do it........slacklining is the tightest thing ever....i've gotta get myself on another highline.......they're sooo fun.....holy crap....alright i guess i'm done...oh yea, for judging a comp i think you just have the competitors compare the other competitors and whoever the guys say is the best is the best......pretty simple.....

wiscoclimbiner

Dec 1, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know how far any of you are willing to travel for a slacklining comp, but i am hosting one at UW lacrosse (wisconsin). the comp will be april 23 and or 24 thats a saterday and sunday. there will be music drinks/food and slacklining of course and probably along with juggling and unicycling. ther will be a best trick contest on one or both of the days and most of the time will be spent just slacklining and people showing off thier tricks.if you are interested contact me either PM or email at mahaffey.benj@students.uwlax.edu

Ben

goodwholesomeboy

Dec 1, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

next semester i'm going to start teaching weekly slackline clinics at my school (university of portland). hopefully near the end of the year i plan on having a big competition to showcase everybody's skill. i'd probably set it up as a best trick contest or you have a certain amount of time to do as many tricks as you can.

slackdaddy

Dec 4, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to be opposed to the idea of comps but it is now obvious that it is just a matter of time. I know there have been some here and there but I mean on a larger scale. The talent level is just now getting to the point that this could be possible. I have always been drawn to the more personal / spiritual aspects but I love to watch my friends that view it more as a sport. In fact every slacker I know gets inspired by watching good slacklining. Also, everyone who gets real good brings somthing new, something transendent for the rest of us (no matter what our skill level) to marvel at. The biggest group of good slackers that I have seen to date was at the Pheonix BB last spring. The only problem was that the focus was on bouldering and not all the slacklines were in one place.
I'm more interested in a gathering that a comp. A long weekend for the slack-nation to come together to share and compare and inspire. Open to all no matter what their skill level. I used to live in So. AZ. Twice a year they have the "Bean Fest" - a big wild drunken affair where you gather, camp and climb during the day and party late into the night.
The turtle and I have talked about this spring getting togther our slacker friends and posting an open invitation. The problem is Where? I know people are very spread out and I'm sorry but I won't go east of the Rockys. The turtle suggested Moab. A long-ass drive for me but it is cool enough that maybe others can work it into their touring plans. With lots of climbing, mt. biking and kayaking to be had near by. Where ever it is should have camping, climbing and if there are few trees we will need many A-frames.

So far just a thought.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 4, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always like simple gatherings more than structured comps, in climbing as well as slacklining. I don't get near enough of it living out in the middle of nowhere like I do. ;)

I'm planning for JTree in April, I think, with no return date set, so if any of you dirtbags want to meet up with me there, I'll gladly go to Moab with you for a slacker convention. ;) ;)

Now to go get money.... :(

goodwholesomeboy

Dec 5, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd be down for a little gathering in jtree, just give me a date and i'll be there.

theturtle

Dec 10, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we're talking about Moab, but you can still come...and give coldclimb a ride.

jb

Dec 10, 2004, 8:08 AM
Post #16 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now to go get money.... :cry:

yea....that's always a problem......something in moab would be sweet...if i could get there.....i'd probably want to hang around for a while to get my moneys worth for getting out there....yea, hanging out is cooler than doing a comp i think.....that would be so sick....tons of slckliners, tons of lines.....

Partner coldclimb

Dec 10, 2004, 8:40 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
tons of slckliners, tons of lines.....

This is exactly what would make the awesomest time out of slacklining, in my opinion. :D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook