RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

pepsbandit

Oct 20, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Arms...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy, I climbed really hard yesterday untill I couldn't feel my hands, and my arms were as hard as granite, but later on they felt soar and a tad bit tender. It doesn't hurt when I move or stretch, or even make a muscle, so i'm assuming this is natural. I just took it easy today, iced them and then let em rest in a hot tub for a while, they feel good, so do you think it's safe to go climbing tomarrow? :?

cheers

bandidopeco

Oct 20, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Re: Arms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That really depends on how your arms feel tomorrow. I'll bet that they'll be pretty sore, and that you should take it easy. Remember, eating a good amount of protien should help them recover quickly (I'm not talking atkins here, 25-30% of your diet should be good). I'f they're feeling fine, go for it.

greyicewater

Oct 20, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's called being pumped... it's when you work your muscles so much that they tighten, and you need to rest them, besides the fact that you can't climb because they're so sore... but it's a good thing, rest until they aren't sore anymore. personally, i love the feeling.

pepsbandit

Oct 20, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet, thanks for the input, i guess i'll see how they feel by tommarow, i'm not gonna risk it if they feel too tender. :wink:

overlord

Oct 20, 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, thats called "the pump" or "bottle arms" or "wine bottles" or something similar.

its completely normal.

but i take it youre a newbie (most experienced climbers know when theyre pumped and actually welcome the feeling), so you might be sore because your muscles arent used to the strain. i suggest resting untill youre sore no more.

and congrats on the first pump :wink:

brad84

Oct 20, 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically, it takes up to 7-9 days for a muscle to completely recover and rebuild, blah blah blah. Thankfully, we dont rely purely on strength (well I guess some of us do); you also need technique. SO- give it a few days rest (like everyone else has mentioned), also ~30g of protein before or w/in 30min of exercise will help the muscle rebuild/growth process...climb on.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 20, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "pump" you feel in your muscles while working out that makes you stop is due to lactic acid buildup. The lactic acid ususally dicipates in a few hours. The soreness you feel 1-3 days later is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and is due to microscopic tears in your muscle. Not to worry, it is normal, and the healing process of these tears is what builds up our muscle. Remember, weight + rest = strength. It is up to you how much rest you get, but being new I wouldnt overdo it. Too much too soon= overuse injury.

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook