RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

hobbes2834

Oct 24, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

resoling expensive shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all, im a beginner. I just wanted to know if i can just get a pair of mythos for the extra 40 bucks, and just resole them later. because people are saying that since im a beginner, im gonna go through my shoes like butter. Therefore go for the cheaper shoes. Because i believe the mythos are suppose to be very good shoes.
Thank you

bandidopeco

Oct 24, 2004, 5:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Re: resoling expensive shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you were just starting out golfing, would you get a brand new set of top of the line clubs? The mythos are a good pair of shoes, but you probably won't be able to tell because it takes awhile to get to the level where you will be able to distinguish good shoes from bad. Of course you can resole them, but how many times is the question? When first starting out you'll wear through the sole and the rand, since beginners tend to drag their toes. If you have the money to blow, why not. But then again that's probably just blowing $40 for nothing. Maybe save that money to buy expirienced climbers beer. If they help you out it'd be money much better spent.

jpearl

Oct 24, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't do the Mythos.

Not that they're bad shoes, but they're not the shoes for a begginer. Heck, you night have a good financial plan for them with the resoling, but you might not like them once you start climbing in them or decide that you want you're next pair of climbing shoes in a smaller size.

I'd reccomend the 5.10 Spires or the LaSportiva Cliffs, sized anywhere from a half-size to a full size down from your street shoes. Both of these shoes are the best beginner shoes. They have basic features, comy fit, and lots of rubber for you to work with before you wear 'em through. After then you'll have a better idea of what kind and what size shoes you'll want next.

overlord

Oct 24, 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely get the mythos if they fit. theyre great shoes. they have a bit thicker and harder rubber than many others so they should last longer and are comfy. thats really good for a beginner.

sirtoots

Oct 24, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always check ebay for a new pair. I got mine for $50 that way.

catbiter

Oct 24, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a pair of shoes resoled. When I got them back they felt like they flopped on my feet.

mheyman

Oct 24, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they fit you well, Mythos are great all round and beginner shoes. Fit is the most important thing though. Mythos can certainly be resoled several times if you don't completely trash the rands and they are done properly. Send them to the wrong place then they will be trash.

Another factor you have not given here is what kind of climbing you are expecting to do. Again, Mythos are great all round and beginner shoes. But if you are only going to climb inside a more aggressive shoe might be in order - even for a beginner. Outside what you want might depend on area. As a beginner see what seems to fit comfortably tight.

Where is Jay when you need him? He can probably cut and paste a great argument for aggressive shoes - even for a beginner.

microbarn

Oct 24, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had mythos for my first pair. I like them a lot. Not every beginner goes through shoes fast. Out of my group of beginning climbing partners, 2 out of 5 are wearing through the rand as others are reporting.

I just bought my second pair of shoes. I found the hardest thing to decide was the best fit. It is good to have a shoe that is still in contact with your foot in all places even after it stretches. I found the mythos stretched MUCH more then I anticipated.

I recommend getting the mythos, but fitting it as tight as is comfortable. Know that there will possibly be a lot of stretch, but be able to climb with the tightness it is when you try it on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook