Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Fair weather winter climbing destination?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

deleted
Deleted

Oct 22, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Fair weather winter climbing destination?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

guyzo

Oct 22, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1312 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fair weather winter climbing destination? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Los Angeles.........we climb ALL YEAR AROUND! You just need a good car, and good job with lots of time off. OK let the flaming begin. :P :P :P :) :)

Partner tim

Oct 22, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to bring up the obvious point about why real estate is so expensive in California... but since we don't have any world-class areas here, why bother?

Meanwhile I'm off to Josh this weekend...

deleted
Deleted

Oct 22, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:714155d7ff="tim"]I was going to bring up the obvious point about [b:714155d7ff]why[/b:714155d7ff] real estate is so expensive in California... but since we don't have any world-class areas here, why bother?

Meanwhile I'm off to Josh this weekend...[/quote:714155d7ff]

Yeah you have world class climbing duh, but I'm saying is there any sport climbing area that compares to West Virginia New River gorge in CA?

New River and Red River in the East Coast are amazing but the winters suck.
Maybe I should have worded the post different, what area in the warm west compares to the New?

carbo

Oct 22, 2004, 1:04 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LA is probably pretty good, 2h to JT, 3h to Mt. Whitney, 5-6 to yosemite

Partner tim

Oct 22, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I was going to bring up the obvious point about why real estate is so expensive in California... but since we don't have any world-class areas here, why bother?

Meanwhile I'm off to Josh this weekend...

Yeah you have world class climbing duh, but I'm saying is there any sport climbing area that compares to West Virginia New River gorge in CA?

You mean besides the Owens River Gorge and/or the multitude of sport crags in the Kern valley? None that I can think of.

The New is great, except for the weather. The weather out here is basically inverted-east-coast weather -- you guys have a few weeks of good climbing weather a year, we have maybe a few weeks of bad climbing weather a year. Mind you, I've spent half my life back East, and I'm never going back.

vegastradguy

Oct 22, 2004, 1:48 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, Tucson isnt all that dry compared to other desert destinations like Las Vegas.

anyway, i'll toss Vegas in. yeah, its a bit dry and hot, but you get Red Rocks (widely considered as one of the best climbing destinations on the planet) from Sept. to May, and then Mt. Charleston (another world class destination, although its primarily a sport climbing destination) from May to Sept.

you're also about 7hrs from Yos., 5hrs from Bishop, 3hrs from Mt. Whitney and JTree, 2.5hrs from Zion and St. George (VRG- sport climbin, anyone?).

phugganut

Oct 22, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I was looking at Tucson, AZ I've been there looks like there is a lot of climbing on Mt. Lemmon but it's so dry there you feel like your living in a hair dryer and everything you bump into in the desert hurts.

Was checking out CA but everything is spread out all over the place and all the affordable places are toward MT. shasta or towards Mexico and no nice warm climbing areas around that are world class.

I looked at Utah, Neveda etc. none are warm in the winter I think and they don't have any world class destinations, CO is really awesome lots of climbing but again cold winters.

I thought it would be easier to find a world class climbing area with warm or mild winters? WTF?...

OK my 2 cents...

1) You can always find a reason to NOT go somewhere. I mean, everyplace in the world has at least one bad quality to it. Instead of finding a reason to NOT go somewhere, try looking for reasons TO go somewhere and some excellent opportunities will open up. Or you could just stay where you are.

2) Don't limit yourself to only sport climbing. If you find your Shangra-La, but the climbing isn't sport, then you could just sack up and climb trad or alpine. :twisted:

3) If you're going stay in the US, then it's going to be difficult to find a place that's warm in the winter, has lots of rocks to climb, and isn't dry. The Southwest is all dry, and although the Southeast is MUCH more humid (yuck!) there isn't nearly as much climbing there. I know I know, there is some excellent climbing in the Southeast, but not as much as in the Southwest.

4) Utah and Nevada don't have any world-class climbing destinations??? Are you f-ing serious???

5) I recommend AZ, Southern CA, Southern UT, or Southern Nevada.

sportyj

Oct 24, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being that I lived in Cali or 18 years, and coming to AZ has been an outdoors paradise (LOVE the lcimbing in Tucson, even Phoenix has fun crags and LOTS of climbs, and Flagstaff other than just being a damn cool climbing town has plenty of crags and Jacks Canyon is nearby) AZ has a TON of climbing and the winters are pure Heaven on Earth! The dryness is a GOOD thing NOT a bad thing! And I have never had cactus problems climbing, mountain biking is a different story!

kevanrobitaille

Oct 24, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Austrailia. New Zealand.

slip

Oct 24, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arizona for year-round climbing! But winter is definitely the best for around Phoenix... 60s and sunny. Hard to beat that.

bandidopeco

Oct 24, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is only one place to live that has perfect conditions year round with world class climbing of all types. It's called an RV.

I hear that the south of france is pretty nice year round. But they don't speak nearly as much english there as they do in Paris, so you'll have to learn the langue.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook