RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

wage22

Oct 29, 2004, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Thanksgiving in England
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello - I'm going to be in England (Southeastern area and Kent) for about 6 days over the holiday and I wanted to check out one of the gyms in London or possibly do some bouldering? I'm assuming it will be chilly so any suggestions on a gym I shouldnt miss or some cool boulders I could play around on?? :-) Thanks!

Amanda :wink:

skeates

Nov 7, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thanksgiving in England [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at the castle in Manour House North London. http://www.castle-climbing.co.uk. They have a lot of cool stuff for bouldering. I have only been climbing for three months and only boulder at the moment so it is pretty cool from what I think.

As for out side can't really help you there.

If you want any more info on the gym you can mail me alexis@skeates.net

rockn_j

Nov 7, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know The Castle http://www.castle-climbing.co.uk/ is the biggest gym in England. So, if you are around there, its definately worth a visit.

Also, another gym worth a visit is Mile End climbing wall http://www.mileendwall.org.uk/. Both these places are very impressive facilities

I'm not big on plastic, but looking at the weather forecast for the forseeable future, I dont think you will have another option.

wage22

Nov 8, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great! Thank you both - think I will be checking out the Castle, looks like a cool place. And good ole England, think it will be a little rainy! :-)

Thanks!

keinangst

Nov 8, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just in London and Kent for my honeymoon a couple weeks ago. Let's just say I didn't exactly get any climbing done...

There are several nice areas down there, believe it or not. It's supposed to be some pretty good (but grainy/brittle) sandstone with hard rules about no gear, etc.

Check out around the area of Tunbridge Wells, there are two areas within 10 minutes of there, IIRC. There is also an area that is supposedly crowded with Londoners on the weekends.

Check out southernsandstone.co.uk or ukclimbing.com for better info.

...And good luck avoiding the rain. We had 8 days of wetness, 6 of which were rain (the other 2 just wet and cloudy).

macca

Nov 8, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in London and would recomend the Westway climbing wall as the best gym in London. The Castle is also excellent and Mile end is good for bouldering and meeting people. As they are located in different areas go the closest.
Westway - West. Castle - North. Mile End - East.
The closest place to climb outside is Tunbridge Wells (approx 1.5 Hours away) on the Sandstone boulders. Weather may make this a messy affair. If you want to travel further afield you can boulder in the Peak District (approx 3 hours) weather permitting. But with only 6 days I would recomend you stay indoors and enjoy the warmth and people.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook