Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
free climbing? what does it really mean?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

wzrdgandalf

Nov 1, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #1 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

free climbing? what does it really mean?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have heard many answers to this question. You would think that it means climbing with no belay on routes longer than simple bouldering. But some people have said that that is not what it means. Sometimes i get the impression that it is climbing with a rope but just with natural features, but that makes no sense. I just want to figure this out cause it has bothered me for a long time.

curt

Nov 1, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #2 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Re: free climbing? what does it really mean? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have heard many answers to this question. You would think that it means climbing with no belay on routes longer than simple bouldering. But some people have said that that is not what it means. Sometimes i get the impression that it is climbing with a rope but just with natural features, but that makes no sense. I just want to figure this out cause it has bothered me for a long time.

Pay attention, because this is the right answer. Free climbing is ascending (climbing) a route by using only natural rock features to make upward progress, or to rest on. If you pull on your gear, or your rope, or if you rest on your gear or your rope--you are not free climbing. Instead, you have employed a point of "aid" in your ascent.

Curt

Partner climbinginchico

Nov 1, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #3 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, would a hanging belay be considered aid then?

Edit: Other than that, I agree with Curt's definition.

I might add that it normally uses a rope and gear for protection. Free soloing would be climbing using no protection.

sustainedclimber

Nov 1, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The issue I think you're having is that there is the term freeclimbing as well as freesoloing. THEY ARE DIFFERENT. Free soloing invloves no rope, no protection, no partner etc. Freeclimbing on the other hand is exactly what Curt described, an ascent using only the rock for forward progress. Sport climbing and Traditional leading fall under this category. They are called freeclimbing to differentiate from aid climbing which refers to a usage of man made equipment to help you up to the top.

curt

Nov 1, 2004, 3:27 AM
Post #5 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt, would a hanging belay be considered aid then?

Good question. A hanging belay falls into one of those weird gray areas. If you are climbing a route using the originally established belays (which may be hanging) this is not considered to be aid. However, if you divide a difficult pitch into two pitches, by installing a new hanging belay in the middle, this is generally considered to be aid--or at least some form of shenanigans.

Curt

milk

Nov 1, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #6 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, this is a question I have been meaning to ask, as far as I understand free soloing means climbing unroped but in one of the magazines covering Tommy Caldwell’s free accent of that el cap line it says that he soloed part of it or something, I cant remember what it said exactly. So in this case what does solo mean? What is solo aiding?

curt

Nov 1, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #7 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, this is a question I have been meaning to ask, as far as I understand free soloing means climbing unroped but in one of the magazines covering Tommy Caldwell’s free accent of that el cap line it says that he soloed part of it or something, I cant remember what it said exactly. So in this case what does solo mean? What is solo aiding?

Free climbing = as I described above.

Free soloing = like bouldering, but taller. No rope or gear is used. Very bad consequences if you fall.

Soloing = climbing by yourself, includes both roped soloing and free soloing.

Curt

wzrdgandalf

Nov 1, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #8 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for clearing that one up for me. i remember seeing the movie k2: the ultimate high when i was a kid and at the beginning of the movie one of the guys says he is going to "free the whole pitch" and wondered what he was saying because he obviously was belayed. thanks for the info.

petsfed

Nov 1, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #9 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

For more info on roped solo systems, consult the Aid forum, the Petzl webpage, and the manual for the Wren Silent Partner. Aid soloing is just aid climbing while self-belayed via a roped solo system.

fixednut

Nov 1, 2004, 5:58 AM
Post #10 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, it is any climbing that you do while not in prison. I will leave this open to debate.

I do know, however, that it sure as hell isn't what you do at the Gunks after being stopped by a Mohonk Preserve ranger.

theishofoz

Nov 1, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #11 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe you said shananagins

fixednut

Nov 1, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #12 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All shenanigans have a proper time and place.

pupjr

Nov 1, 2004, 6:52 AM
Post #13 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i swear if i'll pistol whip they next guy who says shanagins

Hey Farva what's the place you go to eat with all that stuff on wall???

What? shanagins???

AHH!!

hehe i love that movie

markc

Nov 1, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #14 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sport climbing and Traditional leading fall under this category [free]. They are called freeclimbing to differentiate from aid climbing which refers to a usage of man made equipment to help you up to the top.

A toprope that is never tensioned can also be considered free climbing. As long as the belay is never snug and you never sit on the rope, you were unaided in your progress.

The confusion usually seems to come from two totally separate concepts:

free vs. aid climbing - Free climbing (as curt and others stated) is using rope(s) and equipment solely for the sake of protection. Any use of equipment to rest or for upward progress is aid climbing.

solo vs. partnered climbing - Soloing is climbing done by yourself. You can use rope and equipment to belay yourself, or you can free-solo (climbing without protection).

HTH,

mark

rocloco

Nov 1, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #15 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't climbing with a solo device still considered free climbing as long as your progress comes only from your hands and feet etc. pushing and pulling on natural features? I have a silnet partner that I use quite a bit on a top rope and I can assure you that other than the set up to catch a fall the climbing is exactly the same as on a regular belay. I've also led trad pitches with it and again...other than the system used for belaying the climbing is exactly the same as for regular trad free climbing.

maculated

Nov 1, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #16 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at a party last week where someone asked me if I was going free climbing in Yosemite. The average layperson seems to think that means soloing.

Partner coylec

Nov 1, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #17 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't climbing with a solo device still considered free climbing as long as your progress comes only from your hands and feet etc. pushing and pulling on natural features? I have a silnet partner that I use quite a bit on a top rope and I can assure you that other than the set up to catch a fall the climbing is exactly the same as on a regular belay. I've also led trad pitches with it and again...other than the system used for belaying the climbing is exactly the same as for regular trad free climbing.

The would be free roped soloing. Or Roped Free Soloing. Or freeclimbing by rope solo. Or something.

These terms weren't handed down by some greater naming authority of rockclimbing ... they kinda evolved into what they currently mean.

In regards to movement, free means self-propelled by natural features. In regards to belay, free means without ropes, et la.

Concievably you could free aid solo, where you didn't use a rope. All pitches = A6.

coylec

Partner camhead

Nov 1, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #18 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maculated said it best.

If I had a penny for every newspaper article on a soloing fatality that says something like, "the victim was free climbing without a rope."...

markc

Nov 1, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #19 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The would be free roped soloing. Or Roped Free Soloing. Or freeclimbing by rope solo. Or something.

These terms weren't handed down by some greater naming authority of rockclimbing ... they kinda evolved into what they currently mean.

In regards to movement, free means self-propelled by natural features. In regards to belay, free means without ropes, et la.

Concievably you could free aid solo, where you didn't use a rope. All pitches = A6.

coylec

I decided to stay away from that terms can of worms. "Rope-solo free climbing" would probably get my vote. Tis a mouth-full.

mark

eray01

Nov 25, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #20 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is what it means: any type of climbing where the climber uses their hands and feet to ascend the rock with the rope system serving only as protection rather than direct assistance in hauling you up the rock. This is most types of climbing free soloing is what most inexperienced people refer to as free climbing. This is climbing without a rope or any protection. just you, your hands and feet, a chalkbag, shoes, and your gigantic cajones.

gottarock

Nov 25, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #21 of 21 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt - well said... simple and concise.

funny how some threads are like a movie...
the best quote is in the first 5 minutes and everything else is just kind of redundant.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook