RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

amy

Nov 1, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

ashland/southern oregon area climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone familiar with places to climb in the ashland/medford area? i used to live there, so i know the area, and am looking for a place to take a friend who has never climbed. i've heard there are a few routes to top rope at emigrant somewhere? or is there a good gym there? any info would be great!!!

amy :)

therelic

Nov 1, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Re: ashland/southern oregon area climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a climbing gym that's good and getting better in White City called "Kick & Climb" some of us will be spending a lot of time there this winter. Another gym worth checking out is the one at the Southern Oregon University gym.

Outdoors there is Emigrant Lake for short easy routes but at some point in time during the winter most of it will be flooded at the base by Emigrant Lake. Tyler Creek on Greensprings has a couple dozen routes of various difficulties. Rattlesnake near Trail Creek has over 100 routes but most are in the 10c-12b range.

Bill

j_kirby

Nov 2, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pick up Orton's guide "Rock Climbing Southwest Oregon" and climb to your heart's content. It should still be available in Medford, Ashland or online on Amazon.

gfw123

Nov 2, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up a copy of the Southern Oregon guide from the library here in Seattle. If you are going to only be down there for a one time trip that might be a better option.

--greg.

korntera

Nov 2, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last I was told was that the book was out of print and being redone for a second edition in apring 2005. I can't find it anywhere to buy, but i havn't checked online. I am not sure if i should just wait for the second edition or buy the first edition online. If you wanted to come up to the eugene area then flagstone has some good 5.4 to 5.14 climbs and skinners is ALL top rope.

dylanransom

Nov 2, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72066&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ashland

try this thread. try Orton's guidebook (many minor errors, but great for finding your way around). try Ashland Outdoor Store. Plenty of stuff in the area to keep you satisfied, plus short road trips to Smith!

climbhoser

Nov 2, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear Area 51 is good, if you know anyone who can lead you. Call Shasta Mountain Guides...ask for the owner and ask him if he knows how to get a hold of info to there.

dylanransom

Nov 3, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just to clarify, 'Area 51' is Rattlesnake, and yes the climbing there is quite fun from mid-5.10 to 5.13(?)

Instead of having to call long distance to Mt Shasta Guides, you could try Ashland Outdoor Store in downtown Ashland or McKenzie Sports in downtown Medford.

There is a small area specific guidebook, as well as Greg Orton's Southern Oregon Climbing Guide, but I'm not the best to speak about their availablity (don't live in Oregon any more).

lucander

Nov 4, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drive an hour to Castella, CA and climb at Castle Crags. Cosmic (5.6, 6 pitches) is one of the 50 classics and there's lots of great climbs out there.
- David

climbhoser

Nov 4, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Castle Crags is awesome...however, it is a backcountry crag, with a two hour approach, and even the bolted climbs are adventurous. If the guidebook says 's' then you'll pretty much be soloing.

But if you can drive an hour it's the place to head. There's also some sport climbing in the Trinity Alps, between Castle Crags and Weaverville, put up by Cedar Wright back in his youth...and some 1,000' granite tower about a 7 mile hike north of weaverville, too...as well as numerous other granite walls and such.

rouge

Nov 4, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been thinking about moving out to the Ashland area, can anyone give me an idea of how long the climbing season is, and how about the snowboarding??? I would like to be able to do both as much as possible throughout the year. Thanks in advance...mike

lucander

Nov 4, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tried that 1000 tower and either got off route or it was very rotten, a little more adventurous that I had planned. BTW, if you're snowboarding in the Ashland area you can ride at Crater Lake (1 hour north) from October-May on natural snow in a great environment. Shasta's also close enough for a day of schralping at Bunny Flat.
- d

climbhoser

Nov 4, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't neglect Mt Eddy, the wee mountain (in comparison) looming just west of I-5 out of Mt. Shasta City. The east chutes of Mt. Eddy hold really low desnity fluff well into late March/early April.

As for the 1,000 foot tower in the Trinitys....I've heard good, I've heard bad, I haven't been on it myself, but it looks good to me, coming from an RMNP and Wind River Range background

lambone

Sep 23, 2005, 6:56 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thought I'd mention our new gym in Medford:

http://www.roguerockgym.com

the new Orton "Rogue" guide is out, the local shops have it and we have copies at the gym.

cheers

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook