RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

dono169

Oct 31, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

T-Nut amount
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the general rule for the amount of t-nuts per square foot? thanks

socalbolter

Oct 31, 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Re: T-Nut amount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there's no hard set rule. it really just depends on how many holds you want to be able to put on the wall.

keep in mind though that it's generally far easier to install extras now than it will be to add them later.

however, the average seems to be 4-8 per square foot on most walls.

saskclimber

Oct 31, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have about 3/sq ft (and am content with it). The upper end of the 4-8 would have them far too close in my opinion. Not to mention more than doubling (almost tripling) my cost for nuts..

sandbag

Oct 31, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An effective way to place the holes is to line your panels with a chalkline and do so in a diagonal set of lines from the corner approx 6 inches apart. youll lose anything closer than 2inches to the edges of panels because the MDF or what ever you use will delamenate over time with the torque from use, and its wise to avoid. also depends on the thickness. they arent that expensive, just get good tnuts and buy them by the gross, its cheeap and you figure 144 nuts isnt really much if you get 5 or 6 4x*sheets of plywood.

johnson6102002

Nov 1, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 to 6 seems about right to me
deffinitly mark it with a snap line and either use the grid it makes or stay within 2 inches of the snap intersections and it will work great allowing alot of options I did it every 6 inches

socalbolter

Nov 1, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

please ignore the posts suggesting a grid pattern. the only reason to ever do this is if you are going to be using that section of wall for system training.

it's much better to drill t-nut holes in a random disbursement.

if you drill on a grid patern, you will always be limited to the same potential span patterns from hold to hold. it's very limiting both for coursesetting and for discovering/testing your body's span limits.

one poster suggested marking a grid and then drilling the holes (randomly) within 2 inches of the lines. this is the best of the "grid" options suggested above.

bigwally

Nov 1, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya know, this is shallow, but about all that I know is about is the wall that I built 4 years ago. Most of the wall is vertical and 20 ft of it is overhanging.It is 9 ft high and 55 ft wide (great traversing and for playing "twister"). I used 5/8" Plywood and 64 T-Nuts per 4' X 8' sheet of plywood. (More could be better, but after 4 years this wall has just been FINE !! The T-Nut placements are RANDOM (It was Fun!! I used a home-made, "triple-random" numbers generator, employing a roulette wheel, a grab bag and a pair of dice...). I did this as I have set routes in gyms where the T-nut placements are Uniform AND where they were Random... it just always seemed that the Random configuration always worked out better.

Plotted the T-Nut location on graph paper and moved any placements that were too near an edge, or within 3" of each other. Transfered this pattern to one plywood sheet and used it as a template to drill the other sheets. When I hung the plywood on the wall I rotated each sheet 180 degrees from the last, to provide even more variety....and YES, before each T-Nut was smacked into place, I applied a liberal dab of contruction adhesive (NOT wood glue, but Sub-Floor Adhesive i.e. PL400 or Liquid Nails) to reduce the chances of ever getting "spinners".

Texture is a difficult topic; whether to do any or not...Before I drilled for the T-Nut holes I rolled a coat of EPOXY-ENAMEL paint on the surface and sprinkled "sand-box sand" all over, while it was still wet. After drying , I picked up the sheet and kicked/beat the back side until all of the loose sand came off. Another coat of EPOXY ENAMEL paint was applied, dried and we were ready to go !!!

It has been 4 years of intense usage, by ourselves and our guests, the texture is still all looking like New, none of the plywood bows or sags, no "spinner' T-nuts and route setting is still a Gassss!!!! LOTS OF LUCK ON YOUR OWN PROJECT !! please tell us how it all works out ...

Partner okie_redneck

Nov 8, 2004, 6:10 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Texture is a difficult topic; whether to do any or not......
Mastic. It's the stuff they use for tile adhesive. It's cheap and sculpts well if mixed thicker. Has anyone ever tried to pry up old tile? You can do 60 square feet for $18. It is not overly abrasive either. The only problem is waiting a couple weeks after application for it to really harden.
Your local gym would not want you to know.

chossmonkey

Dec 14, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigwally wrote
In reply to:
The T-Nut placements are RANDOM (It was Fun!! I used a home-made, "triple-random" numbers generator, employing a roulette wheel, a grab bag and a pair of dice...).

You are too funny Frank! :lol:

On a large climbing wall a random patern may be best, but on a small wall I would argue a grid works better. When I built my wall (9x12) I used a grid pattern. I think using a grid allows maximum holds in a small space. Vertically they are every 6 inches and horizontally they are a combination of 5 and 6 inches to miss the studs. This spacing is close enough for maximum number of holds but far enough apart that most average holds won't be to close to each other. Having the T-nuts this close you don't feel like you are climbing on a grid because the bolt hole on the hold is never centered anyway. Next time I build a wall I will probably go 5 inches vertically instead of the 6, possibly make the grid go diagonal, and put fewer T-nuts in the bottom three feet where most of the holds are screw on jibs. Another nice thing about a grid is that you can label the grid like Battle Ship to record routes. There are only so many colors of tape and color combos not to mention room around the holds for marking.

overlord

Dec 14, 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the ideal amount is as much as possible.

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 14, 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
please ignore the posts suggesting a grid pattern. the only reason to ever do this is if you are going to be using that section of wall for system training.

it's much better to drill t-nut holes in a random disbursement.

if you drill on a grid patern, you will always be limited to the same potential span patterns from hold to hold. it's very limiting both for coursesetting and for discovering/testing your body's span limits.

one poster suggested marking a grid and then drilling the holes (randomly) within 2 inches of the lines. this is the best of the "grid" options suggested above.

I agree...and depending on the size of the wall (a gym vs. a woody) I would stick towards the 5-7/sq ft...defineitly go for the random system. The last wall I worked on, we just threw it up and drilled the hell out of the panels. :twisted: :twisted:

Like I said, it depends on if its a home woody that you dont want to spend tooo much money or if its a gym wall...it is totally worth it to drill the hell out of it now and spend a little extra on nuts as it will be much easier to do then to retro-nut later - once i got into the swing of it you can just set the t nut and pop em with one solid hit and move on...doesnt take as long as you think with some extra nuts

anyway good luck and have fun with your new wall - rock on!! :mrgreen:

Partner okie_redneck

Dec 14, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a compromise. I did a 6" grid, but tried to randomly drill the actual holes up to 2" away from the grid. It breaks up the positioning enough to not appear to be so much in rows up and down. So long as you have a creative eye, you can have the best of both worlds.

johnson6102002

Dec 14, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I did a compromise. I did a 6" grid, but tried to randomly drill the actual holes up to 2" away from the grid. It breaks up the positioning enough to not appear to be so much in rows up and down. So long as you have a creative eye, you can have the best of both worlds.

well this is what i did for part of my wall i did different on different sections

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook