RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

10ftdrp

Nov 9, 2004, 3:07 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Quality Cheap Packs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am aware that "Quality" and "Cheap" almost never meet each other in the kind of fun we like to enjoy. I am preparing for a weeklong Backpacking/camping trip in December and i need a pack. Thank you to those of you who get concerned about me making a rash buying decision but i have needed a pack for a long time for how much hiking climbing and camping i do. i have been looking at GoLite's packs and they seem reasonable. mostly my focus has been on the GoLite Trek Pack. it holds 4500 cu. in. http://www.backcountry.com/...Pack-4500-cu-in.html That is the site if you want more specifics. i was just curious if anyone has ever used one of these or any GoLite pack and what do they think about it? Also are there any suggestions on anything better for under $100? Thanks Everyone!
~Zero

slobmonster

Nov 9, 2004, 5:14 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quality Cheap Packs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get the impression that you will need to pack with savvy when using GOlite's line, as there is no rigid suspension to help you out. Many folks love this flexibility, hence their popularity. I have not used their packs, but they seem well made, and certainly eponymous.

My opinion: any pack will do, really. Just buy one, stuff your junk in it, and go on your trip. Any deficiencies will be quickly and horribly realized.

As you are going "hiking" for a week you should try one of the many hiking-centered online boards with these questions, and you won't get climber-focused opinions.

thetroutscout

Nov 9, 2004, 8:26 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the pack I've used the last year, for both summer and winter use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2021&item=5137003077&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
(best detailed description i quickly found, i'm not affiliated with the seller in any way.)

I'm a backpacker before a climber and this is light but tough. I'm not sure about avalibility, eBay was the first place i looked online and i found mine in a local outdoors store. It's been a great pack. I too have no money but want quality. The pack size was perfect for a weeklong, carry it all summer trip but may be a little small for a serious winter adventure. Comfort is good and expandable enough to wear with or without a coat. Considering the price and the lifetime warranty i'm pleased.

^^ike

madyak

Nov 10, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #4 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Run as far and as fast as you can away from Quest packs. Their tents were okay, but their packs just suck. I've had two (because of their price) and known people with them - the same reactions 'round the board.

Check out the sale rack at your local REI, MEC, or EMS. You can often get a darn fine climbing pack for $70 or less on clearance. Technical packs tend to be a little too fancy/awkward for school kids, so they're more likely to go on clearance anyway.

davidji

Nov 10, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #5 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i was just curious if anyone has ever used one of these or any GoLite pack and what do they think about it? Also are there any suggestions on anything better for under $100? Thanks Everyone!
~Zero
I have a small Golite pack for light-load activities like climbing. OTOH, using a frameless pack for carrying heavier loads isn't my preference. Some people love it, but I don't think it's the right choice for me. Extra pack weight to provide a frame and fit that saves strain on my back is fine with me.

lordjim

Nov 10, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #6 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A.L.I.C.E pack, large. External frame, plenty of places to put stuff and they will take one serious beating. It will be on the high end of your $100 range though. I love my medium (I'm still saving for the large, anyone want to donate to the cause?)

hairymonkey

Nov 10, 2004, 3:48 AM
Post #7 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am assuming that you are located in the states, in which case i can't help you. unless of course you were willing to shell out the money to buy a plane ticket to indonesia. i was living there for four years, the packs are great quality (not the fake ones, a local brand) and i would bet you have a hard time finding one for over 80 max, probably 50...
sorry, i wish i could help. only suggestion, look at the sale racks.

tipsonly

Nov 10, 2004, 5:10 AM
Post #8 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a shorter person boy do i have a deal for you check it out

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=732541&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=336911&bmUID=1100063209315

jebel_andi

Nov 12, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #9 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BD Stone pack all the way, http://www.mgear.com it is onsale

jello

Nov 12, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #10 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gregory packs are my favorite. Very durable. I've put mine through what would be a backpacks version of hell. It is still a proud pack! I think they retail for a little cheaper than most packs too.

verticalcrag

Nov 12, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #11 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say go with a Gregory.......i got couple of them............very durable and one of the bestsuspension systems in my opponion.

sidepull

Nov 12, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #12 of 12 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found some steals from "gear.com" - for example, a huge mountain smith pack, great suspension, for $25. I'd try surfing the net a bit - you should be able to find something nice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook