RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

mendou

Nov 16, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

slackline history
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi everybody! im new in the slackline, and I've found a lot of information about tricks, tips, etc...

However, i wanna know if you guys, know where and how born it? what is the history about the slickline...

Thanks a lot and greetings!

areyoumydude

Nov 16, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #2 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Re: slackline history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It started in yosemite back in the early 80's

johnson6102002

Nov 17, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it was some guys messing around with thier gear in a camp. and if this is wrong then it sounds good enough to me

Partner philbox

Nov 17, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Slacklining.

maldaly

Nov 17, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #5 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first visited Yosemite in May of '75 there were slack chains set in in Camp 4. There were also some taut wires as well. If I had to guess I would say that people have been trying to walk slack lines for centuries if not millenia. It's too obvious not to try it.
Mal

billydude

Nov 17, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #6 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be completely wrong, proably am, but I think it would make sense that it elvolved somehow from tyrolean traverses. Like some dude said 'hey im gonna walk across that, screw swinging' and to make it a lil more fun, they strung em up really high just for kicks. but thats just me. so thats my opinion.

slackdaddy

Nov 17, 2004, 8:26 AM
Post #7 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read that modern circus tight rope started in Kazikstan at least two thousand years ago and I think other cultures have had slack rope and tight rope traditions that go back quite a ways. The Yosemite tradition of slack chain goes back to the sixties or seventies and is said to have been inspired by an old circus tight rope walker who lived in Colorado (Archibald someone, I'm not sure his name). But few took chain walking seriously. (I once saw one guy who was really good at walking the chain, I think it was Warner Braun). But the earliest modern slackline (tubular nylon webbing) that I know about was walked by Adam Growsowski and Jeff Ellington.
I was in Yosemite in 1983 and I saw these guys walking slackline. They were both very good by todays standards. Adam had taught Jeff and I don't know but I think Adam started it a few years before that. In 1983 they could juggle clubs while each standing on their own slackline and pass the clubs back and forth. They walked short lines but they weren't 1" it was 3/4" tubular nylon (a rare webbing). Adam could surf really well and he was very solid all around. He could also do a hand stand, although from starting on the ground.

I saw all this and I was sold that this was the sh!t. Chris Carpenter and I went home and started slacklineing. Later that year we walked what is believed to be the first high slackline under a bridge in Pasadena CA (search pics by jetasun).

Adam and Jeff had tried to walk the Lost Arrow Spire that summer ('83) on a cable but had not succeded. I decided then and there that I wanted to try it. I threaded two lengths of super tape inside a piece of 1". I attempted the walk in '84 but failed. I came back in '85 and walked the Lost Arrow Spire on July 13.

Darrin Carter and Chongo were both around back then but took a little longer to get into slacking. In 1993 Darrin became the second to walk the spire. Chongo walked it in '94 and in '95 I went back for my tenth anniversary and all three of us walked it. At this time there still weren't very many people who walked slackline but Darrin had spent the last few years honing his skills and he broke out. Not only walking the spire but walking back and forth so many times that I was able to shoot video from three different angles. Later that year Darrin did the first leashless walk of the Spire. (Yikes!!)

Still slackline was a fringe freak show until Dean Potter came along and did the fourth crossing of the spire. Me and my friends weren't great climbers but everyone wanted to be like Dean.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Scott Balcom

areyoumydude

Nov 17, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #8 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Scott.

Here's the first highline

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=9676

mendou

Nov 17, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #9 of 9 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Re: philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
philbox moved this thread from General to Slacklining.

Upps!! thanks Phil...I suppose that I forget this detail :D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook