RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

madyak

Nov 17, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Marmot Alpinist Tent vs Mnt Hdwr EV2
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have a chance to try this thing out? I first posted this in "Gear Heads," but got no replies, figured if anyone has been in one of these tents that you'd also be in this forum.

I'm trying to decide b/w the Mountain Hardwear EV2 and the Marmot Alpinist but don't know anyone that's had either one.

Concerns are primarily setting up on odd angles / small ledges, anchoring, running rope into for sleeping tied in, how much or how little room, the usual mtn qualifications...

Thanks

agrauch

Nov 17, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Re: Marmot Alpinist Tent vs Mnt Hdwr EV2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only set up the Marmot Alpinist in the store so I can't tell ya what it's like in the wilds. In the store I thought set up sucked.

The pole sleeves are too narrow for the buckles on the ends of each pole making it difficult to slide the poles through. One person had to push the pole while the another made sure that the tent fabic didn't bunch up around the buckles. There didn't appear to be a way to remove the buckles from the poles. It was even more difficult to get the poles out of the sleeves. Given the difficulty of setting the tent up in the store, I can only imagine the horror of setting it up in the dark, in high winds, and with gloves on.

travelin_light

Nov 20, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the ev2. got a pro deal on it and used it on rainier and baker last spring. it did not see much as far as knarly weather but it is completely bomber and freakin light. has a TON of ventilation if you want to open it all the way up. it is really narrow and long. pretty tight inside as you would expect from an alpine tent. there is alot of length so you can gear up, one in the front, and one in the back (compare this to other models, you'll see it is alot longer b/c of the built-in vestibule). this wasn't a problem though. has a zipper in the floor up in the front which is nice. we used it for all sorts of things. not really sure what the design intentions are though. we used to sweep snow and meltwater out of the tent. i think my partner peed in there.. not sure. i would not bother getting the footprint, waste of weight, waste of money. the floor is fine by itself. i am glad i own it. i would not bother with it unless your gonna really rally in somewhere.

travelin_light

Nov 20, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh ya, sets up really easy, and has big loops at the corners for tying it down to rocks, skis, whatever. they did their homework here.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook